Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 279,310 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 17, 2021, 02:17:44 AM
Ridgetop discovered some tracing in couple DH series I believe.  AvP Thicker than Blood and Alien the original screenplay if I'm remembering correctly.

Not to the same extent as Larroca though, he's not even trying to hide it. He can't even be bothered to put the figures into a cool pose before tracing them.

Yeah I did find some stuff in the later Dark Horse series. The first time I noticed more heavily referenced toys was in the Fire & Stone Aliens run, while I wasn't fond of those static poses then either, at least Patric Reynolds implemented it much more effectively than Larroca does. And at least he took his own photos of the toys for reference, and at least he understood perspective and everything didn't look overly flat.

I do find this sort of thing having different levels of offense though, with Land (stealing from fellow comic artists seeking work themselves) being the worst kind of offender. With things like AvP: Thicker than Blood and to a much greater extent Alien: The Original Screenplay, ripping backgrounds and concept art, I suppose it's fair game because that work is official material and was work for hire, but the same could be said of what Land did. It's still lazy and should be criticized. This is also part of a wider issue of crushing deadlines in the industry as well.

Also of note with Larroca, there are a number of things ripped into the current running comic that are not sourced from official Alien material, so there could be some actual copyright violation going on.

Engineer

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 17, 2021, 08:35:50 PM
Ridgetop discovered some tracing in couple DH series I believe.  AvP Thicker than Blood and Alien the original screenplay if I'm remembering correctly.

Not to the same extent as Larroca though, he's not even trying to hide it. He can't even be bothered to put the figures into a cool pose before tracing them.

Yeah I did find some stuff in the later Dark Horse series. The first time I noticed more heavily referenced toys was in the Fire & Stone Aliens run, while I wasn't fond of those static poses then either, at least Patric Reynolds implemented it much more effectively than Larroca does. And at least he took his own photos of the toys for reference, and at least he understood perspective and everything didn't look overly flat.

I do find this sort of thing having different levels of offense though, with Land (stealing from fellow comic artists seeking work themselves) being the worst kind of offender. With things like AvP: Thicker than Blood and to a much greater extent Alien: The Original Screenplay, ripping backgrounds and concept art, I suppose it's fair game because that work is official material and was work for hire, but the same could be said of what Land did. It's still lazy and should be criticized. This is also part of a wider issue of crushing deadlines in the industry as well.

Also of note with Larroca, there are a number of things ripped into the current running comic that are not sourced from official Alien material, so there could be some actual copyright violation going on.

I know of at least one instance were he used an image with a copyright (not in the alien series though), as well as a number of instances where he swiped fan art which is a pretty egregious offense imo those fan artists didn't get paid for their work, larroca did... speaking of which, I suppose I (or someone) should tell Phillip Kennedy Johnson that there's not much incentive to "make our own" art and putting it out there for the world to see when there's a distinct possibility it'll get swiped by someone like larroca or land...

Immortan Jonesy

Aye! That was a superb post from @RidgeTop, I might be wrong though, but IIRC the one in 'Alien: The Original Screenplay' was the Prometheus hangar + APc.  :-X

judge death

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2021, 08:42:08 PM

I know of at least one instance were he used an image with a copyright (not in the alien series though), as well as a number of instances where he swiped fan art which is a pretty egregious offense imo those fan artists didn't get paid for their work, larroca did... speaking of which, I suppose I (or someone) should tell Phillip Kennedy Johnson that there's not much incentive to "make our own" art and putting it out there for the world to see when there's a distinct possibility it'll get swiped by someone like larroca or land...
After what he responded with and said earlier and actions, and how marvel has treated the issue I dont think he care for such complaints, as long as they sell well.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: judge death on Sep 17, 2021, 10:38:00 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2021, 08:42:08 PM

After what he responded with and said earlier and actions, and how marvel has treated the issue I dont think he care for such complaints, as long as they sell well.

Sure they made money. The regular Marvel audience doesn't seem to care either.  :P In fact in this video from a comic book collector, in which RidgeTop was invited, the author doesn't seem to be in shock or anything by what seems to be a common modus operandi and a somewhat accepted one by that fandom.  :-X

BlueMarsalis79

Subhuman scum.

SiL

SiL

Perfectly rational response right there ::)

Engineer

Yea if I'm being honest I was pretty shocked by that guy's reaction and dismissiveness in that video.

Plagiarism is theft

Why would this ever be tolerable?

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SiL on Sep 18, 2021, 12:04:24 AM
Perfectly rational response right there ::)

Who said I have to be?

I prefer to be cartoonishly over the top.

It's much more fun.

Not like these loathsome people will change their minds anyway.

TilotnyWorshiper28

Can Complain all we want but it won't change anything like I said before he was on the main Star Wars title for 50+ issues  before an artist and writer change. the only thing that can get marvel to stop working with an artist no a days is them hiding anti semtemtic messaging in their art like the former artist for Immortal hulk did .https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/marvel-immortal-hulk-artist-joe-bennett-controversial-art .   Joe was going to be drawing the upcoming series Timeless for marvel but now that they cut ties with him Greg land is doing it cause Marvel has to meet insane deadlines and because Timeless Stars Kang They want it done fast so they can cater to the mythical new fans that they think the Movies bring

[cancerblack]

Nukiemorph

Russ840

So I didn't see an new issue of Alien in Marvel's December Solicits.

Issue 8 was solicited for October, right?

Did we get a solicit for issue 9 even, for November?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 19, 2021, 07:19:36 AM
So I didn't see an new issue of Alien in Marvel's December Solicits.

Issue 8 was solicited for October, right?

Did we get a solicit for issue 9 even, for November?

Just looked into it, as far a I can tell issue #8 has been delayed from October to November, and issue #9 is early January 2022.

So for the next three months at least, Alien will be hitting every other month instead of every month.

Russ840

Strange.

I mean. I know it's a common thing with comics. Especially at marvel, but, I wonder if it's because Land has been given art duties on another project. Can't remember it's name, Timeless? Something like that.

Maybe that extra load is slowing down his output because, if there is one thing that Land is good for, it's putting out work quick (I suppose tracing helps with that  ;D), so o don't see him being the delay for any other reason.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed