Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 150,386 times)

JPredator

EXACTLY

I really do not understand why they cant move the ALien films past Ripley. Why cant there be an Alien film with all new characters following a different story?

Im surprised Fox didnt make scott put a young Ripley in Prometheus

Russ

Quote from: JPredator on Feb 11, 2015, 04:02:40 PM
EXACTLY

I really do not understand why they cant move the ALien films past Ripley. Why cant there be an Alien film with all new characters following a different story?

There was - Prometheus. AvP. AvP:R. All of which had mixed reviews / reactions.

But that's not the point: the point is that this project does feature Hicks and Ripley, given the artwork and the evidence from sources (Blomkamp and Weaver). If it becomes a reality, I'd be surprised if they weren't in it - and to do that, it needs a retcon, and for me that can only be accomplished by Ripley's Nightmare. I really can't think of another way to do it. BUt then, I don't get paid the big bucks....

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: Russ on Feb 11, 2015, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: JPredator on Feb 11, 2015, 04:02:40 PM
EXACTLY

There was - Prometheus. AvP. AvP:R. All of which had mixed reviews / reactions.

But that's not the point: the point is that this project does feature Hicks and Ripley, given the artwork and the evidence from sources (Blomkamp and Weaver). If it becomes a reality, I'd be surprised if they weren't in it - and to do that, it needs a retcon, and for me that can only be accomplished by Ripley's Nightmare. I really can't think of another way to do it. BUt then, I don't get paid the big bucks....

Maybe a surviving Engineer has been tracking Ripley's progress and had planted an egg in the Sulaco after creating clones of them to die on Fury 161 so that the company would think they are dead and then he could use them to help him "deal" with the aliens.

I know this is silly idea, I'm just trying to point out that a storyline could be inserted into the current timeline allowing it to veer from the current timeline without doing a retcon/nightmare and possibly still using the known characters while also tying it into the Prometheus movie. They just need a very good/creative writer to get it done.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Feb 11, 2015, 04:09:29 PMThere was - Prometheus. AvP. AvP:R. All of which had mixed reviews / reactions.

I hope Fox realises an absence of Ripely wasn't the reasons those films sucked...

USG Ishimura

Weaver: "...If something happens from this, it would be very organic and very original, and because of that, it would make me want to do it. If it was someone as talented as Neill, I'd certainly listen."

I don't want to see organic....I want to see bio-mechanic.
And original....they tried that on Prometheus, and though I like the movie, the Space Jockey could've been much more horrifying than he was.
Love Hicks and Ripley characters...but both characters are dead. Move on.

I'd like to see an adaption of Alien Isolation. But I'm not sure Blomkamp is the right guy for it.
Does mean artwork, though...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: USG Ishimura on Feb 11, 2015, 04:36:56 PM
I'd like to see an adaption of Alien Isolation. But I'm not sure Blomkamp is the right guy for it.
Does mean artwork, though...

Blomkamp has certainly been checking out the game...

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/555478971060461568

marrerom

I think people are losing perspective here with regards to the leaked concept art.  Remember that its just that, concept art, and if you look at the production of the other films you'll see that what was made as concept art most of the time never made in onscreen.  The ultramorph from Prometheus or the 15 foot tall Predalien by steve kock for AvP:R are good examples of this. Even the concept art for the melted derelict is all wrong. As we saw in Aliens the derelict had broken off one of the "wishbone" arms, yet in the concept art its fully intact? No.

Remember, the purpose of this leak concept art is to generate interest, its not a frame for frame blueprint of how the movie would actually play out. The chances that fox and weaver would disregard Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection are practically nonexistent. Those movies are too established and well liked by audiences to ignore.  Neil Blomkamp's main purpose was to create interest and show fox that  people want an alien 5 made by him.  He's done exactly that. The next step will be to actually write the thing and its almost a guarantee that the powers that be will not have the last two films in the franchise be ignored so that Hicks can be shoe horned into the plot.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 11, 2015, 05:18:52 PM
The next step will be to actually write the thing and its almost a guarantee that the powers that be will not have the last two films in the franchise be ignored so that Hicks can be shoe horned into the plot.

Sounds like he's already written a treatment at the very least.

Quote from: Neill Blomkamp"I did way more artwork than I released, probably ten times more and did a lot of writing. I have a pretty cool film just in case it happens."

RedHood

The art was dope and I just hope they consider this as a possibility. A Hicks return would be mind blowing! Or they can do a full revamp on the cast and go with the book stories.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Please, for the love of God, retcon the partial-birth abortion that is Alien Cubed.

marrerom

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 11, 2015, 05:37:25 PM

Quote from: Neill Blomkamp"I did way more artwork than I released, probably ten times more and did a lot of writing. I have a pretty cool film just in case it happens."

At this stage its just too early to tell what will come of it.  Prometheus started out as a straight forward prequel to alien but over the course of its production it changed in a more ambiguous film.  The same this will most likely happen here too, and that's not a bad thing.  While I trust Blomkamp as a director, his writing can be off at times (I'm looking at you Elysium), so having input from the studio, from other writers, and from Weaver can only help.

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 11, 2015, 05:37:25 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Feb 11, 2015, 05:18:52 PM
The next step will be to actually write the thing and its almost a guarantee that the powers that be will not have the last two films in the franchise be ignored so that Hicks can be shoe horned into the plot.

The gist of this thing seems to be: He developed the whole film. He has a ton of concept art and did a great deal of writing. Fox has seen it and they want to make it. He is on the fence because of past experiences with Studios. That implies that he has at least written a treatment. Fox wants to green light it. Blomkamp seems to have adapted his original ideas to some of the character info Sigourney told him about while filming Chappie, and he is now more excited about the idea.

I highly doubt they will retcon anything out of this series. I would argue that even Prometheus builds upon ideas in A:R, whether it was intentional or not. A:R now plays as a merging of some of the ideas started in Prometheus or vice versa. Which is something, I am surprised no one talks about more often.
The obvious solution with all of this here is: Hicks is found drifting in Hypersleep or just in hypersleep somewhere. Or to just have him cloned.

I have to agree that they shouldn't have the film follow Ripley exclusively. But as for their age,... I mean, if they can do it with Han and Leia, they can do it with Ripley and Hicks.

acrediblesource

Mein Fuhrer!

Jenga

2 things:

1) What CainsSon Said is correct, Blomkamp is claiming that Fox is ready to move foward if he decides to do it!
2) Look at this awesome tribute project by David Woodruff starring Tom Woodruff Jr (co-ownder of Amalgamated Dynamics Incorporated) wearing original Hicks Armor from his days working on Aliens:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101446709030490&set=a.10101078372360130.1073741825.18915181&type=1&pnref=story

RakaiThwei

Like a few others here, I am not too sure about them retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection. I mean I for one liked Alien 3, and the Assembly Cut as well but as far as Resurrection is concerned.. well, I think I am entitled to say that thinking about that movie now, it was a relatively boring movie. But it's been years since I've watched it and I remember liking it at first, then letting fan opinion influence me. I have to watch it again sometime.. but do I want to?

But is it just me or is anyone else feeling a little bit of franchise/fandom burn out with all the revisionist things they're doing with the franchises? I mean sure they've started over with the EU and all but the films? Well.. I don't know. I mean I liked Blomkamp's District 9 but that was the only movie of his which I've seen. And like Darkness, I think this pitch works fine as fanfiction.

And considering that Fox wanted to retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection.. well, if Blomkamp agrees to do the movie then there is a good chance this will give them the perfect excuse. I'm not sure if I agree with a retcon like this assuming this project sees the light of day and becomes a film and that's also under the assumption it retcons Alien 3 and Resurrection like the last season of Dallas or Roseanne.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed