0 (0%)
Queen (Aliens Fireteam Elite)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author
Best on-screen Alien (Read 9,557 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: judge death on Aug 25, 2022, 05:54:50 PMAgree, also find it badly placed in the movie and also anti climatic, instead of adding to the horror and stake of the movie, it completely kills all tension, xenomorphs arent a threat and the newborn wont hurt ripley 8, and obeys her, so what is the danger?
Made a fan rewrite of it myself and as a friend who read my rewrite: it gave the story more action and scare and upped the anty of the movie and made it more thrilling to watch, the queen being a big threat to humanity and needs to be killed and the newborn a scary nightmare hunting Ripley 8 and the betty crew.

Totally agree. I can see a version of the film where the Newborn would be cool and scary. It's just not used correctly. That fan rewrite of yours sounds pretty cool actually! Would be interested in taking a look at that.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 25, 2022, 06:02:46 PMThe biggest issue with Resurrection apart from Joss Whedon's that Call should have been the protagonist.

Also agree. While I think Ripley 8 is an interesting concept, it definitely feels like it undermines and takes away from the ending Ripley had in Alien3. I also don't 100% hate Resurrection, but it definitely feels like an afterthought in the series. And a big part of that is because they dig Ripley back up. Like they exhumed her corpse in a way. Could totally see Ripley 8 being cool as a EU comic character. But for the films, they should have just left her dead and propped up a new protagonist. But this is a whole other discussion tbh lol

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It would, especially if the android reveal turned out to be the protagonist instead, we think Call dies and then... they live.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 25, 2022, 06:14:39 PMRegarding the Newborn: I don't think Jeunet wanted it to be threatening, he wanted a pitiful abomination, a product of two worlds, not accepted in either so I'm not bothered by it not being "scary"

That's a good point actually. I think there's a way that you can make it both sympathetic and horrifying if you flesh it out correctly. Cronenberg's The Fly is an example that comes to mind. But that's a different type of film of course.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I find the newborn tremendously scary. Seriously, I f**king love the fact that I hate looking him in the eyes.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Agreed it's just the context he's used in.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I also agree.
Conceptually and visually it's pretty scary.

Just not properly used or built up to it's full potential in the film.
Had potential to be so much more.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Bloody f**king Joss Whedon.

Kradan

Kradan

I'd say Jeunet managed to squeeze something interesting out of what had been written as just another human-killing monster

SiL

SiL

Whedon's version was a giant facehugger.

Kradan

Kradan

You mean, in terms of design or in terms of function ?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Aug 25, 2022, 09:33:07 PMWhedon's version was a giant facehugger.

Didn't it fly too?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 25, 2022, 09:39:05 PMYou mean, in terms of design or in terms of function ?
Design, but I guess both.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 25, 2022, 09:42:31 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 25, 2022, 09:33:07 PMWhedon's version was a giant facehugger.

Didn't it fly too?
I don't remember, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 25, 2022, 09:39:05 PMYou mean, in terms of design or in terms of function ?

Granted, I've never actually read the Resurrection script (I don't think) but iirc it was a giant spider-like Alien.

(Should have just been the cowl-less Big Chap)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Fortunately enough they went for the Newborn.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I agree. That would have been shit in my opinion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed