Dave Dorman on AvPR Predalien

Started by Darkness, Oct 29, 2007, 09:09:03 PM

Author
Dave Dorman on AvPR Predalien (Read 20,890 times)

Cellien

Cellien

I'm sure this is a money factor.  A newer concept artist on the scene got to work on AvP (and for cheaper).  Dream-job to say the least.  :)  Also, there is no copying going on.  Fox owns the rights to the design.. they can do with it whatever they want.

plasmacannon

plasmacannon

>:(   Well if this is indeed true im ashamed for Fox . To steal a mans work and use it without credit is awfull . It dont take a genius to work out the sole fact that Fox have stolen his entire design . Urgh makes me ill to see things like this .

Spoon

Spoon

They didnt steal anything.  you tell any artist to draw a predalien and they will all look 85% similar. The movie one doesnt look anything like it.  Its both alien and pred designs in one so nothing is stolen. They are both great deigns but I actually perfer the movies version of the  mouth has its different and looks way more scary. Im sure Dorman got payed for his sketches.  Fox can change 5% of the picture and doesnt have to pay the guy a cent more.  They paid for his ideas not the whole design and credit.

plasmacannon

plasmacannon

;D   Ah so young and foolish . Who said anything about MONEY . I mentioned CREDIT . Its his design and if your telling me it looks nothing like the on in the movie you have serious problems my friend .

Moloch

Moloch

I agree with Spoon, every design of this creature would have similarities why does he have ownership over the idea. He is just angry they turned him down.   ???  

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Looks better then the real one.

Deco

Deco

I gotta say the same thing here, theres not much more that can be done with the design without upsetting both fanbases beyond reproach. Fox havent stolen anything. I still think I would have liked to see something a little different than just sticking the predator mandibles on the side of a mishapen alien head. That said, it works

Jenga

Jenga

Dave Dorman's art used to seem breathtaking when I was younger. Now that I've got a little more experience I realize that he's very human (in terms of his art abilities). In spite of my disenfranchisement with Mr. Dorman in my young adult years I still have to say that his design is truly superior. I'm continually disgusted with this design they ended on. I hope to god Chet gets to looking enough like a queen at the end of the movie to counteract her crap design.

PredKing_Luke

PredKing_Luke

Dormans design of the predalien if far better than the one that they have at ADI and the features Dave's predalien are amazing!

REYALS

REYALS

Hmmmm.... I dont know if I sense anger in Mr. Dormans interview, but it does seem as if he is "troubled" by the fact that he did not get to work on this project. His design is great, and so is the design of the one that they are using. I dont think this PREDALIEN looks bad at all.  ...and why do people call the PREDALIEN "chet", isnt that Bill Paxtons character in Weird Science?

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

it might hurt Dorman's career if people connect him with ADI's Predalien desgn. Maybe he ought to demand that a design credit be given to Alan Smithee

daniel clavette

daniel clavette

Wow the desight of predalien is truly cool i like it  and it is realy great to see it.

Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris

That predalien looks a lot more better than what we got, I can tell you that much. The dreadlocks aren't so big and like iron pipes, like the predalien ADI made. And the mandibles are set right, and actually look good. Can this be said for the predalien in avpr?   ::)   Why he was declined, I have not a clue.

JK

JK

Looks much better in the concep art.

Necrotard

Necrotard

Okay any predalien design is gonna have some similarities.  But the mandibles on ADI's predalian are off to the side, surrounding a regular alien face and the dread are long as hell and coming out to the side.  Dave's design actually makes the mandibles part of the face, like they should be, and doesn't put my emphasis at all on the dreads.  The only similarity I see is the top of the head and the bulky tail, but what are the odds that they'd want a bulky tail anyway to make it look threatening.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed