Why is the alien fascinated by flares?

Started by Aliens Dude, Oct 24, 2014, 01:30:14 AM

Author
Why is the alien fascinated by flares? (Read 9,602 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Aliens Dude on Oct 24, 2014, 05:51:08 AM
Quote from: Xhan on Oct 24, 2014, 03:41:52 AM
If it used echo-location it couldn't see flares through closed doors of sufficient thickness

Also it would hum roger waters songs every time a flare was thrown.

Well, being as light is a form of electromagnetism, seeing electromagnetism like a shark would solve the problem, no?

Why not just go with what's on film and have it see light?

tavianini19

tavianini19

I think the reason that everyone tries to come up with different ways for it to see is because it has no visible eyes. But that doesn't mean it doesn't actually have some kind of ocular organ. The original alien had a transparent skull, with very obvious eye sockets. It could easily just have very small but sensitive eyes that blend in with the rest of it's head very well.

Xhan

Xhan

Possibly.

The only thing we know for sure is a:

they hear in a quadraphonic set up,

they can see for sure in the same range we do,

they can see in a range of unknown bandwidth we can't (avp, alien, alien3, a:r)

and that echolocation and pheromones would be secondary sets at best, if at all, because neither works in closed environments and contrary to popular belief, pheromones are shit for hunting, only useful for determining on site states of being,

and they have some kind of means of tracking stuff at long distances through very very shielded materials, as long as it isn't small girls.

http://gamegossip.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21653

esz

esz

I personally don't need an explanation; I like the mystery of the alien. But... it could just hear the hiss of the flare and be curious about it.

Sagit

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 24, 2014, 06:19:41 AM
The Alien is curious. It would've been cool to see more examples of it being curious about its environment here and there.

It has been there for what..? A two-three weeks. I'm pretty sure it has seen everything there is to see (we visit the entire Sevastopol during one day or so). About the unhealthy interest in flares:
Spoiler
we know there are a few xenos on the station. Maybe we don't encounter the same one everytime. I wish it was not the case - I really didn't like the whole "hive purge" idea and multiple xenos running away into the station. Maybe some of them don't know what the flare is.
[close]

Valaquen

Quote from: Aliens Dude on Oct 24, 2014, 01:30:14 AM
Seriously, why does it find flares so interesting, I mean, it doesn't even have eyes! Does this confirm it sees electromagnetism? Even so, why does it care about a stupid flare?

Probably a nod to the unfilmed scene of the Alien being attracted to an alarm light in the original film.

Aliens Dude

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2014, 06:30:26 AM
Quote from: Aliens Dude on Oct 24, 2014, 05:51:08 AM
Quote from: Xhan on Oct 24, 2014, 03:41:52 AM
If it used echo-location it couldn't see flares through closed doors of sufficient thickness

Also it would hum roger waters songs every time a flare was thrown.

Well, being as light is a form of electromagnetism, seeing electromagnetism like a shark would solve the problem, no?

Why not just go with what's on film and have it see light?

Because it doesn't have eyes?

C91_SJ

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 24, 2014, 02:27:34 PM
Quote from: Aliens Dude on Oct 24, 2014, 01:30:14 AM
Seriously, why does it find flares so interesting, I mean, it doesn't even have eyes! Does this confirm it sees electromagnetism? Even so, why does it care about a stupid flare?

Probably a nod to the unfilmed scene of the Alien being attracted to an alarm light in the original film.

That was exactly my thought when I saw it the first time!

shakermakerman

tavianini19

tavianini19

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 24, 2014, 03:07:51 PM

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE!!
My point exactly.

SM

SM

Quoteand they have some kind of means of tracking stuff at long distances through very very shielded materials, as long as it isn't small girls.

Prime real estate under a big fan.  I'm sure of it.

Xhan

Also teddy bear baffling camo

razeak

Pffft....im fascinated by flares. You guys would own me if I was stalking you.

szkoki

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 24, 2014, 06:19:41 AM
The Alien is curious. It would've been cool to see more examples of it being curious about its environment here and there.

it would have been much more cooler to see someone gets raped by it

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed