Why does no one care about the human characters?

Started by KillingJoke, Sep 07, 2007, 01:40:42 AM

Author
Why does no one care about the human characters? (Read 31,579 times)

Wraith

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Sep 07, 2007, 05:25:43 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 07, 2007, 05:19:39 AMSays the guy who was talking Alien 5...

You sure are a persistent fellow.

QuoteI still want to know how you'd do a human-free Alien 5.

With Alien-on-Alien action, using a fan fiction written by only the best female Inuyasha yaoi writers.

On a more serious note...if you took O'Bannon's interpretation of a civilization transpiring before the giant cataclysm on Acheron/ LV-426, displayed their violent evolution, showed the cataclysm, brought the Space Jockeys into the picture while spicing things up with the Alien that undoubtedly came out of the eventually-fossilized Space Jockey killing the crewmates in a bit of a throwback to Alien, and then ended it millions of years later with the landing of the Nostromo's crew you might be able to make a good film. I'm not saying an utterly silent film, but silent as far as traditional human language (unless you wanted to add some finality to the ending by putting some dialogue from Alien in it).

It would never happen and probably be critically panned as a horrible film since I'm no award-winning writer, but I'm just saying it could be done. I'd say it would make a nice platform to explain how the Preds have Alien eggs, but fans would just ***** about that possibility.

Anyways, back to AVP2...

That was a a bitching idea, yet no-one would have the balls to make something like that, if it were done right, it would be a hit to be sure.

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: SM on Sep 07, 2007, 05:30:42 AMYou talked about an Alien 5 without humans - then condescendingly tried to say you didn't.  you shouldn't expect otherwise.

I brought up the fact that I thought one film might do well as a human-less picture as opposed to the topic in question, and suddenly I've made it my main point of contention in a topic about AVP2. Brilliant deduction there. If I'm being condescending, it's because I'm not in the mood to waste my time defending myself on something so obvious even a slow reader would put two and two together on.

SM

Well thanks for clarifying that.  And here all along I thought it was just because you were a smarmy twat.

Quoteand suddenly I've made it my main point of contention in a topic about AVP2

Never said you did.  I responded to something CelticP said.  Then you got all stroppy.

vortep

I am absoludly with you man!You cant do good movie where the favorites are the bad guys this is like to prefer Aliens from War of the worlds to kill all of humanity!

War Wager

QuoteWhy does no one care about the human characters?

I do. Everyone should at least find someone they can relate to becuase that is what will make the movie a scary experience...

azerty

If you want them just fighting then why is everybody pissed about a possible storyline  ???

Get the 2 beasts in a ring and let them fight would do ?

tommygun

They ought to let Rob Zombie do an AVP movie, then everyone who hates humans , thinks they are fodder and only wants to see the Aliens and Predators killing would be happy.  You would have a schlock movie of endless scenes of blood and gore , no story, cool klillers and worthless victims( like every cheap trashy slasher flick) to derive gratification from.  What a way to carry on the classic franchises by reducing them to slasher tripe

Irritator

Everyone who thinks a humanless AvP would be good have zero understading of how a movie works or even what it is.

I'm gonna write it in caps now:

A film, is a STORY. A story needs HUMAN (or antropomorphic) HEROES. Without talking about people and their reactions to SOMETHING, there is NO STORY. STORIES are told for us to recognise ourselves in them in one way or another and learn something about ourselves, conciously or not, small or big. What you want is closer to the Circus Maximus than telling a story.

Seriously, continuous violence can be fun how long? I enjoy people being slaughtered in creative ways, too, but just that would get REALLY boring after an hour. If not faster. Someonle put it really nicely in another thread: "The monsters drag you into the theater, the humans keep you in".

ScarPredator16

Why all of a sudden am I forced to choose? Characters or fighting? F*ck that! I want both! And Bishop is right. You can't write a script with no dialogue, it just won't work. You need a plot and you need characters to move it forward.

If there would be no humans, who would advance the plot? Predators? hell no, because apparently if we learn anything at all about the Predators that wasn't already stated in previous films, it's automatically considered bad regardless of weather or not the idea is seen on film. Aliens? Nope. You Need humans to make aliens.

Do you think the Alien film series would be as great if it wasn't for it's characters. The Nostromo crew, the marines, the prison inmates, and the hell with it, even the Resurrection characters had some good moments.

Maybe hardcore fans who want nothing but mindless fighting that makes no sense can be easily pleased, but general audiences are going to want more.

Why do you think the Spider-Man films take so much time for character development, despite being multi million dollar projects. It's because even though fighting and action is good, no amount of special effects will be able to compensate for shitty writting.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I guess our lesson to leave this film with will be..."we've gotta get to a phone!"

xenomorph36

Quote from: Irritator on Sep 07, 2007, 02:11:07 PM
Everyone who thinks a humanless AvP would be good have zero understading of how a movie works or even what it is.

I'm gonna write it in caps now:

A film, is a STORY. A story needs HUMAN (or antropomorphic) HEROES. Without talking about people and their reactions to SOMETHING, there is NO STORY. STORIES are told for us to recognise ourselves in them in one way or another and learn something about ourselves, conciously or not, small or big. What you want is closer to the Circus Maximus than telling a story.

Seriously, continuous violence can be fun how long? I enjoy people being slaughtered in creative ways, too, but just that would get REALLY boring after an hour. If not faster. Someonle put it really nicely in another thread: "The monsters drag you into the theater, the humans keep you in".

he hit jackpot exackly.

however let me just say this.. this movie wont OBVIOSLY have as many dept as the previous alien/predator franchise and it will be just another cheesy b movie monster flick which will be forgotten right after they exit the theater. who ever wins, us fans will loose watching this pure crap characters and awful story.  :'(

EEV2650

Quote from: Mymphisgold101 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:11:34 AM
Many fans of franchises such as "Alien" and "Predator" are desensitized sociopaths who are most likely obese little bastards. These people are probably still dealing with emotional problems as a result of their parents divorce or being molested as a child.

I AM an a fan of both Alien and Predator BTW. I am in no way trying to say that all fans of these sagas are defected or even desensitized. Although, it is incontrovertible that many are.

Also, no one on this forum can say that music, film, or video games aren't somewhat responsible for certain behavioralism they may have. I don't care what anyone says, those columbine f**ks were directly influenced by "Marilyn Manson". I've read an accumulation of testimonies from people who were there who have reported both of the killers saying statements like," This is just like out of a Marilyn Manson video." and " They'll make a video game based on this one day". The truly unfortunate thing is that there is a video game in which you play as those two disturbed teenagers killing as many kids as you can.

We are social creatures, much like the primate. We were not meant to kill, or even fight unless it meant to protect our families or territories. I hate f**ks who cheer for serial killers and praise them as some sort of genius. They have mental defects, and are flawed in their ability to cope with the living conditions of the human society.

What's that got to do with what we are talking about? This blog is about whether or not the human characters will be developed properly for the film. I'm all about seeing aliens and predators killing each other and humans to. At the same time i want to be able to feel emotion when i see human characters die.The dweeby humans in avp1 didnt even manage to shoot and kill one alien with their rifles let alone a predator. To top it all off i didnt feel bad for them at all when they died because of the lack of character development. Character development is what gives a film it's soul and sense of self. Now if i get upset as much as i did when hudson or poncho died in aliens or predator then this film will have pulled it off.

Gates

Poncho? Who the hell ever cared for Poncho?  ;D

The Chibi Kiriyama

Again, to the people spouting off generalizations...please wait until the film is actually out. I hate Anderson's RE series, but you don't see me trying to tie everything I say to my opinion that Extinction will be just as disappointingly bad as the rest beforehand.

One time's okay. 50 times is pushing my patience.

And as a response to the people who think a human-less film can't work...for AVP, I want human interaction. You can really tap into the potential Aliens had with that. But don't think that if there's only one Predator scoring all kinds of amazing kills surrounded by Aliens that the audience won't lean a bit towards Pred favoritism. Why? Not just because of the cool kills, but because we can at least relate to another humanoid as opposed to a creature that is the perverted merger of all we consider sensual.

EEV2650

And as a response to the people who think a human-less film can't work...for AVP, I want human interaction. You can really tap into the potential Aliens had with that. But don't think that if there's only one Predator scoring all kinds of amazing kills surrounded by Aliens that the audience won't lean a bit towards Pred favoritism. Why? Not just because of the cool kills, but because we can at least relate to another humanoid as opposed to a creature that is the perverted merger of all we consider sensual.
[/quote

We are in agreement. And Gates Poncho was my childhood favorite. He was always just cool to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed