Could AVP:R Have Been Better With A Bigger Budget?

Started by The Runner, Mar 26, 2019, 02:59:46 AM

Author
Could AVP:R Have Been Better With A Bigger Budget? (Read 13,860 times)

The Runner

Just curious, but do you guys think that per say if AVP:R had a bigger budget(65-70 Million as opposed to 40 million) and had about 30 minutes more run time that it could have been a better product in the end? It seems like any ideas the BS had was not able to come to fruition with such a low budget and limited run time.

What changes do you imagine would result in this scenario as opposed to what we got? More predators? Bigger and better and equal fights? More characterization?

Huggs

Location change and character development would've saved it.

Letting the predator ship reach another planet, or setting the whole movie on the predator ship would've helped. Make the predalien incredibly fierce, and have the predators fighting to survive it onboard.

Making a movie set in the future would've been better. Setting it in modern times and places is just done to save money.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Heck I think due to the script, things like the plot and characters are screwed unless you write a new movie. With that budget it could be possible to change the setting and make a whole new movie.

If the AVPR script must be the same that money should be used mainly for action/fights, at least make the "versus movie" we wanted to see and improve the Aliens's look, more special effects like the acid damage, money was Colin's excuse for the lack of it as well as for the short fights. No money can improve the other problems. If possible changes to the plot wouldn't hurt.

SM

A completely different premise might've saved it.

yhe1

AVPR should have been based upon AVP2

SiL

Only if "bigger budget" means "pay for an entirely different script". Throwing money at AvPR's existing script(s) was never going to save it. They could've made a better movie with the same concept and budget if the script had been better written, but there were far too many cooks in that kitchen.

The Runner

I'm basing this on them keeping the script or semi-deviating from it aka. same setting but changing the events up.

Also SiL just curious but what was your reactions when first watching AVP:R, if indeed seeing it in theaters?

SiL

SiL

EDIT

Yeah I can't actually stomach having my initial reviews in the post. Suffice to say, I didn't like the movie.

The Kurgan

More money, if used competently, could have gone along way with this one.

While obviously not making it into a masterpiece, the rest would be much easier to swallow if we got better creature effects and designs,more predators and above all much better fight scenes.

In  AVP, you don't need the most complex or even above average plot or characters to make it enjoyable, if you get the creatures and their clashes right IMO.

SM

A lot of people carry on about character development - but actual character development in the Alien flicks is generally restricted to Ripley.

SiL

The characters are at least developed to a point where we give half a shit whether they die or not.

Stitch

Only with a different script. It feels like the budget came before the script and that's why it's like a Dawson's Creek Halloween special.

If bigger budget = better script, then yeah.

Russ

Yep - bigger budget would have meant bigger scope... hence better script (well, hopefully better script anyway).

I'm sure that I read somewhere that the Bros really wanted to do a space based thing, but was it Joel Silver said "Nah, set it on Earth in the present cos that's cheaper?"

SiL

It was Fox in general that wanted to keep it on Earth. They commissioned Salerno to write an Earth-based script.

Corporal Hicks

I'd have been interested in seeing that Iraq treatment. As an Earth-bound thing, that may have worked better than Dawson's Creek.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed