Ridley Scott on the hard road to Alien

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 24, 2019, 02:58:03 PM

Author
Ridley Scott on the hard road to Alien (Read 23,565 times)

Predwars24

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 28, 2019, 02:46:15 AM
Quote from: newagescamartist on May 28, 2019, 02:43:16 AM
Quote from: Predwars24 on May 27, 2019, 08:16:44 PM
I watch alien for alien, not Terminator.

You assume the title is in reference to the xenomorph.

Yup. AI can be alienish sometimes.

Yes, but the Androids in the Prequels aren't really all that alien. They actually act more human than anything, I guess in that aspect they can be terrifying but in technical terms they aren't really alien at least not to me. Yes when I go to an Alien film I expect a Xenomorph, isn't that the creature we've kept our entire focus on? I mean right from the beginning we've only really focused on the xenomorph or a creature very similar in biology. If Aliens, Alien 3, and Resurrection had shifted focus and looked at other terrifying creatures from deep space that weren't the xeno, my opinion might be changed. However since this isn't cloverfield yes I expect the focus to be what it's always been on.

Samhain13

There is nothing alien about David. His A.I. is based on a man, too much, he was made too human. There is nothing unknown and unfamiliar on what he is and is doing.

question11

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2019, 01:08:28 PM
Leave the politics in the politics board. Any further attempts to continue that angle will be deleted.

can you delete my account. don't want to be on a site that discourages free expression.

FenGiddel

But of what value is free expression that is off-topic?

darkvegett0

darkvegett0

No more Scott the old man has lost his touch...if there was ever one

I made an analogy, didn't know that made it political.
I couldn't think of anything else that could get my point across.

SM

SM

Quote from: darkvegett0 on May 29, 2019, 12:37:25 AM
No more Scott the old man has lost his touch...if there was ever one

I couldn't think.

Evanus

Oof :D

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 28, 2019, 11:36:39 PM
There is nothing alien about David. His A.I. is based on a man, too much, he was made too human. There is nothing unknown and unfamiliar on what he is and is doing.

An A.I. that goes rogue to create a xenomorph and considers himself the devil is pretty alien.

Quote from: question11 on May 28, 2019, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2019, 01:08:28 PM
Leave the politics in the politics board. Any further attempts to continue that angle will be deleted.

can you delete my account. don't want to be on a site that discourages free expression.

It's off topic.  ::)

bai

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Predwars24 on May 28, 2019, 11:20:41 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 28, 2019, 02:46:15 AM
Quote from: newagescamartist on May 28, 2019, 02:43:16 AM
Quote from: Predwars24 on May 27, 2019, 08:16:44 PM
I watch alien for alien, not Terminator.

You assume the title is in reference to the xenomorph.

Yup. AI can be alienish sometimes.

Yes, but the Androids in the Prequels aren't really all that alien.

I never said that.  :-X   

Quote from: Predwars24 on May 28, 2019, 11:20:41 PMThey actually act more human than anything

Quote from: Predwars24 on May 28, 2019, 11:20:41 PMI guess in that aspect they can be terrifying but in technical terms they aren't really alien at least not to me.

But seriously, I didn't say that David is like an alien. I mean artificial intelligence in general, and Ridley's previous wishes to explore this topic in depth. So maybe I'm talking about things like...the transcendence/transformation of David into something else, a literal alien AI of extraterrestrial origin as the last legacy of a long-gone civilization, biomechanical intelligent beings (like the Space Jockey before the Engineers), an equivalent of MU-TH-UR 6000 in the Engineers/Space Jockeys vessels. etc. 

Quote from: Predwars24 on May 28, 2019, 11:20:41 PMYes when I go to an Alien film I expect a Xenomorph, isn't that the creature we've kept our entire focus on?

But but! there aren't humans in the Alien universe, just aliens  :) (JK)

Quote from: Predwars24 on May 28, 2019, 11:20:41 PMI mean right from the beginning we've only really focused on the xenomorph or a creature very similar in biology. If Aliens, Alien 3, and Resurrection had shifted focus and looked at other terrifying creatures from deep space that weren't the xeno, my opinion might be changed. However since this isn't cloverfield yes I expect the focus to be what it's always been on.

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 29, 2019, 01:20:26 AM

An A.I. that goes rogue to create a xenomorph and considers himself the devil is pretty alien.

Good point. Also, maybe it's like a cosmic cycle, and the same thing happened eons ago:

An ancient civilization ends up being enslaved and finally destroyed by machines, kinda like the ending of Battlestar Galactica, but without religious stuff of course:

Samhain13

Samhain13

"goes rogue" meaning he goes human and decides to act like one and be free instead of continuing to be a machine on slavery. Going rogue is a human thing.

Considering himself to the devil? Misanthropy? Emotional anger? Conflicted feelings towards Shaw? All human things. There is nothing unfamiliar about any of that. Plenty of men went there. David is just behaving like an emotional depressive angry man. Merely a consequence of an accurate A.I. based on a human male put into a plastic body. I don't see anything alien about that.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Honestly, I love the David Character, almost or just as much as Ash. Bishop is great too but not as intriguing as those 2. David's character is just awesome, would love to see the sequel made but with a bit more focus and story towards the Alien also. I didn't except though he'd take over the whole story. I liked the way he was used in Prometheus, that David was much more liked I'd think. Now he's become a bit annoying.

It'd be freaky if David and the cargo were captured by real Space Jockeys and his anatomy and experiments were blended together to create a bio-mechanical Alien. I'd imagine trying to create that entire scene would be messy and complicated though.....

newagescamartist

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 29, 2019, 01:56:04 AM

"goes rogue" meaning he goes human and decides to act like one and be free instead of continuing to be a machine on slavery. Going rogue is a human thing.

Considering himself to the devil? Misanthropy? Emotional anger? Conflicted feelings towards Shaw? All human things. There is nothing unfamiliar about any of that. Plenty of men went there. David is just behaving like an emotional depressive angry man. Merely a consequence of an accurate A.I. based on a human male put into a plastic body. I don't see anything alien about that.

A.I. is literally alien lol. You only see human similarities because that's what you're looking for. Nothing about David is human other than his appearance and the facade he maintains because of his programming, which he breaks.

SM

SM

Which part of his programming did he break?

Scott The Man

Scott The Man

The runtime needs to be at least 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Predwars24

Wasn't Walter made to be less "Human" because the David model was too "Human"?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed