Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay

Started by felix, Jan 14, 2021, 01:24:54 PM

Author
Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay (Read 33,152 times)

Engineer

Quote from: skhellter on Sep 09, 2021, 11:04:37 PM
the Dead Orbit comic book didn't really have an incredibly complex script, either.
(guy wanders around, deals with problems, runs from the alien..)

Stokoe would be a good choice.

Dead orbit was brilliant in its simplicity. Stokoe also had the good fortune of being the writer and the artist, so he had a complete vision he could put to the page, which honestly I don't think happens enough in comics. He knew what he was visualizing and was able to articulate that vision through his own art rather than putting it into a script and letting some other artist try to interpret his vision.

I'd love to see Stokoe return to Alien! I'd also love to see Tristan Jones return with that sort of creative input (as in, not just the artist but also the writer).

Russ840

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 09, 2021, 11:23:06 PM
Quote from: skhellter on Sep 09, 2021, 11:04:37 PM
the Dead Orbit comic book didn't really have an incredibly complex script, either.
(guy wanders around, deals with problems, runs from the alien..)

Get Stokoe back and get him to give us his original pitch.

Stokoe would be a good choice.

Dead orbit was brilliant in its simplicity. Stokoe also had the good fortune of being the writer and the artist, so he had a complete vision he could put to the page, which honestly I don't think happens enough in comics. He knew what he was visualizing and was able to articulate that vision through his own art rather than putting it into a script and letting some other artist try to interpret his vision.

I'd love to see Stokoe return to Alien! I'd also love to see Tristan Jones return with that sort of creative input (as in, not just the artist but also the writer).

Corporal Hicks

I just finished this. In short, I really enjoy it despite any issues I have with the source material. Really liked Pat's style, really liked what she did with smoothing out the rough edges, would recommend. Time to start working on a proper review!

skhellter

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56629170-alien---alien-3

Goodreads is kind of important for writers nowadays. For the people that liked it, please place a rating over there.

Xiggz456

Finally finished this and I quite liked it! Pat Caddigan
Is a great, witty writer and kept me chuckling throughout the story. In terms of adaptations, this might be my new favorite as the writing truly enhanced an otherwise off-the-wall story. I'm glad this was an adaptation of the first draft as we've already had two interpretations of the 3rd draft and it made for a pretty relentless narrative. Overall I'd probably rate this an 8/10.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Spoiler
Just reached the birth of the Alien from Welles. Was shocked to see it described essentially as a standard Alien, rather than Gibson's "New Beast."
[close]

Really enjoying this so far. By and large, I think the story works better in novel form than it does the screenplay, and Cadigan's alterations/additions,
Spoiler
like sending Newt off on a different ship rather than the Sulaco,
[close]
seem to be going a long way to make sense of some of the script's wonkier moments. I'm still very happy that the Alien 3 we got is the one we have, but I'm also happy that this script has been brought to life in this fashion as well. Big props to Cadigan's writing here, and I can't wait to blast through the second half of the novel.

Corporal Hicks

skhellter

"Give me Eric Red's crazy script."

[Knocks on wood, does the sign of the cross]

Oh god. Oh Jesus christ.

I think Titan could get away with a novelisation of Spaihts' final draft for Prometheus. They're different enough.

Anyway, Cadigan's novel is in the mail... tbd this week..

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: skhellter on Sep 22, 2021, 11:23:11 AM
"Give me Eric Red's crazy script."

[Knocks on wood, does the sign of the cross]

Oh god. Oh Jesus christ.

I just want them all. Regardless of insanity.  :laugh: Just want to experience them in other mediums. I think the dramas and comics are more appealing because it's a visualisation and a performance, but I'd still be interested in the novels.

Quote from: skhellter on Sep 22, 2021, 11:23:11 AM
I think Titan could get away with a novelisation of Spaihts' final draft for Prometheus. They're different enough.

Easily. No doubt about that.

skhellter

i don't think the $$ interest is there to produce them all.
Gibson is a household name and that pretty much guaranteed all these adaptations of his work.

Twohy? Eric Red? ehhh 

Ward's work deserves that graphic novel adaptation (with a good artist, with a proper budget and time to do it. No rush jobs. No Larocca.)

.....Eric Red's would be a good audible.. comedy.

Corporal Hicks

Don't get me wrong, I've no illusion about them all being done. It's just something I'd like to see. I think, realistically, Ward's could probably happen. It's very well known and really different enough to stand out. I think Twohy's might be worthy at a push, being labelled as coming from the man behind Pitch Black.

Nightmare Asylum

Ward in graphic novel form with a great artist and full on sheep-face-butt, please.

skhellter

funnily enough, an adaptation of Ward's script could be rewritten slightly to work as an immediate sequel to Gibson's.
:laugh:

Would fit right in.

Nightmare Asylum

Get Pat on the job.

KiramidHead

The Alien being on Ripley's pod would make an equal amount of sense. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed