Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay

Started by felix, Jan 14, 2021, 01:24:54 PM

Author
Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay (Read 33,155 times)

Russ840

Wry much enjoying it so far.

Pat is very good.

skhellter

finding some negative reviews of people who can't look past the humor.

Yes, i had that problem early on,
It's there and it gets cutesy at times but...
Aliens also had some very "cute humor" bits (Newt doing the salute, etc.)

And a lot of cyberpunk literature does have a wry, sardonic feel.

Stick with it and you'll be rewarded.

Stitch

Stitch

I'm about half way and I'm enjoying it. There seems to be a bit too much Aliens referencing for my liking, as if the author didn't think it could hold up on its own, but I quite like the actual writing style.

Corporal Hicks

I actually really like that in regards to Hicks' PTSD and isolation.

skhellter

Aliens literally happened yesterday from Hicks pov.

It's all still squirming around in his head..

Stitch

OK. So, just finished it. Aside from disliking the overuse of characters from Aliens, I thought that was excellent.
The author clearly understood the main characters, and the expansion into their thoughts and feelings (or facsimiles thereof, given the artificial nature of Bishop) was well done.
Having not read the scripts in a long time, I enjoyed the story, and liked how it varied from the previously released comic and audio drama.
I'd be interested in other adaptations of unused scripts by Cadigan. I like her writing style.

skhellter

skhellter

some nerdy questions

Spoiler
how does she describe the "new beasts"?
and the mutant queen?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

I'm just shy of 100 pages into this. Really digging it so far, as a sort of "historical" look back at a script that never came to be.

Quote from: Stitch on Sep 09, 2021, 04:08:30 PM
I'd be interested in other adaptations of unused scripts by Cadigan. I like her writing style.

Ward's is the one I'd be most intrigued to see adapted, but I'm not sure if Cadigan would be as good a fit there as she is with Gibson's. She seems to really excel/thrive with more cyberpunk stylings, the political/corporate intrigue et. al.

skhellter

i think Ward's would make for a really poor novel.

Structure wise it's too similar to the final film and a lot of the appeal of that concept was in the visuals.

Would be a great big graphic novel (if given to artists with proper budget and time).

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: skhellter on Sep 09, 2021, 04:32:01 PM
Would be a great big graphic novel (if given to artists with proper budget and time).

Larroca is busy on the main Alien title, do it quick while he's preoccupied!

skhellter

[KNOCKS ON WOOD]

Keep that devil away.

BlueMarsalis79

I desperately want a faithful Vincent Ward script graphic novel.

But it's got to be a deluxe type production with creative freedom from a passionate artist. (Although the sheep ass I can do without)

Something closer to Alien The Illustrated Story or Dead Orbit than anything Marvel's done with the license yet.

skhellter

ideally it would be overseen by Ward himself, with his choice of artist and maybe even rewrites it if he chose to.
Love the idea of the monks going against a chameleon-demon-alien.

KiramidHead

But that's about, what, ten pages of the script? I recall most of it being Ripley, the monk, and the android wandering around the tunnels.

skhellter

the Dead Orbit comic book didn't really have an incredibly complex script, either.
(guy wanders around, deals with problems, runs from the alien..)

Stokoe would be a good choice.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed