Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel

Started by felix, Jul 19, 2018, 12:59:24 AM

Author
Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel (Read 56,604 times)

Wweyland

Quote from: Nostromo on May 26, 2019, 07:04:54 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on May 24, 2019, 05:07:44 PM
This has been subprime

What didn't you guys like though?

At chapter 20 or 21 now, call me crazy but I think this is one of the best novels ever written. Especially from chapter 8 to 21. Not sure what's coming next. This is what I thought would happen to that exoplanet colony in Sea of Sorrows.

Only thing I'm not liking is these lion worm hybrids that are starting to appear.
Actually, I was just quoting the book itself, with Olivia using "subprime" for everything.
I am currently half way through and it certainly has gotten better after the slow start.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Wweyland on May 26, 2019, 09:39:09 PM
Quote from: Nostromo on May 26, 2019, 07:04:54 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on May 24, 2019, 05:07:44 PM
This has been subprime

What didn't you guys like though?

At chapter 20 or 21 now, call me crazy but I think this is one of the best novels ever written. Especially from chapter 8 to 21. Not sure what's coming next. This is what I thought would happen to that exoplanet colony in Sea of Sorrows.

Only thing I'm not liking is these lion worm hybrids that are starting to appear.
Actually, I was just quoting the book itself, with Olivia using "subprime" for everything.
I am currently half way through and it certainly has gotten better after the slow start.

Second half is way more prime  ;)

Nostromo

Oh :), cool, true.

Hudson

Hudson

Reached chapter 18. This book is taking me forever. I thought it would pick up some more but has turned out to be kind of insufferable, and very boring. There's not a complex or dynamic character in the entire thing, except perhaps Viola. I get how the YA genre works, but the adult characters are all just a bunch of jerks or incompetent morons, except the mom to some degree. The Michel character is just designed to piss the reader off, reminds me a lot of the antagonist in DNA War. He's just a device of the author and not a fleshed out character. None of them are though. The narrator isn't much better. You'd think during the heat of the moment that she'd have a motivation beyond yearning for romantic desire, but I guess this is as complex as 17-year-old girls get. Wanting to be kissed. Couldn't be more cliche. Wanting to save her sister is really her only other goal, so the plot ends up being a simple rescue mission.

The book also seems to target a very narrow demographic, rather than "opening up" to a larger YA reader base. Men are certainly excluded from this book's audience. That's kind of interesting because David Giler is quoted as saying no matter how hard they tried to get women to see the Alien movies, it never really worked. So I'm not really sure why there's a big push here to alienate (pun intended) the already existing fan base in favor of drawing in adolescent LGBTQ females. I felt Alex White's novel made some serious strides in opening up Alien to LGBTQ identity politics while remaining satisfying to fans who were already into the franchise. This book is doing the opposite.

So far it's really not a satisfying experience for a fan either. A couple utterances of Weyland-Yutani to check the boxes. Nothing really unique about the portrayal of the Xenomorphs. Nothing tied into the mythology of the series yet. And before I get called out for not being the ideal reader of the book based on my subject position, I have to say I highly doubt the YA market is profitable because only adolescents are reading these books. It's because adults read them. And on that note, the Harry Potter books I've read (I know those are middle grade, but it's the same principle) are truly great. Very good writing. Very tense narrative storytelling. A lot of complexity in terms of character development and negotiation of plot. This isn't any of those things. Super one-dimensional and boring and I'm ready for it to be done.

TL;DR: It's a slog.

Samhain13

Samhain13

That's the review I agree with you the most Hudson. You summarized my feelings on this well. I'm at the last 40 pages.

Michel and Olivia felt even younger than 17 by the way they behaved and thinked. It was the only novel I was begging for the aliens to just pop up and start their thing. Like a F13 movie where the teenagers are so cringe and annoying I just want Jason to get to work already. I liked some the alien stuff on it, the violence and behavior was fine but until they show up its just a bad teenager love story.

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 03, 2019, 09:44:14 PM
The book also seems to target a very narrow demographic, rather than "opening up" to a larger YA reader base. Men are certainly excluded from this book's audience. That's kind of interesting because David Giler is quoted as saying no matter how hard they tried to get women to see the Alien movies, it never really worked. So I'm not really sure why there's a big push here to alienate (pun intended) the already existing fan base in favor of drawing in adolescent LGBTQ females.

Indeed. Doesn't seem like a very profitable move.

Alien isn't like Star Wars or Marvel, its not much of a mainstream franchise, at least in my country it truly isn't, so the demographic that is into it is already quite limited. I don't think limiting things more is smart, not many in the intended target audience are going to be interested on buying this novel, the people who will be drawn to it will be mostly existing aliens fans or Mira Grant fans. And teenagers that are into Alien would probably enjoy more the other adult novels than this one, well I would back then.

Hudson

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 03, 2019, 11:02:59 PM
Doesn't seem like a very profitable move.

Who knows. Mira Grant is really Seanan McGuire, who has a very large following in her own right. But even under Mira Grant she's won awards and a good deal of notoriety and has published several high-profile books, either original works or media tie-ins. I guess we'll find out whether or not we see a string of more YA Alien novels. *shrugs*

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 04, 2019, 12:14:42 AM
Who knows. Mira Grant is really Seanan McGuire, who has a very large following in her own right. But even under Mira Grant she's won awards and a good deal of notoriety and has published several high-profile books, either original works or media tie-ins.

Maybe she focused on writing something that would please her existing fanbase.

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 04, 2019, 12:14:42 AM
I guess we'll find out whether or not we see a string of more YA Alien novels. *shrugs*

Ha I doubt that. Her returning for another is also unlikely. Its rare to see someone that wrote a standalone alien novel returning to make a second one.

Nostromo

Still at chapter 22 but jumped on board Alien 3 by Gibson. Not sure why you guys hate this one lol. For an invasion, or infestation, on an exoplanet, I think it's really well done. 9/10 on Echo, 9.5/10 Alien 3 by Gibson. Can't wait to come back to this audible, hope it doesn't dissapoint. Don't mind the 2 girl lovers...

SM

SM

It's not even like it's that novel.  Fire & Stone had a Chris and Jill and Covenant had Lope and Hallett.  Not sure why anyone would feel so threatened as to be alienated by it.

If you Google reviews for Echo, it's pretty positive.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, as much as I struggled with all the romantic asides, her orientation and focus on it wasn't a bother at all for me. Did it even really focus on them being same sex? I don't think it really did it?

Besides, like SM said above, it's been a thing in Alien for a long time.  Going even further back to AvP: Prey. And it was something Scott had considered for Alien too.

SM

I think in one of the commentaries he mentions something about casual sex, and not necessarily heterosexual.  And it wasn't a focus in Echo either.  From memory Olivia just starts talking about how attracted she is to Kora, rather than going into details about her own orientation.  I figured that a teenage lesbian romance with a brown skinned girl in an Alien title would give a few people an attack of the vapours at some point.

HuDaFuK

Lol.

The Old One

The Old One

Reeee! The gays!

I might actually pick it up now, although I'm sure Nostromo is being hyperbolic with "one of the best novels ever written" now, c'mon.

Nostromo

Get the audible dude! :)

Listen to it at night, they come out at night, mostly.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteI figured that a teenage lesbian romance with a brown skinned girl in an Alien title would give a few people an attack of the vapours at some point.

Ah, here you are again to call me out on overreacting to something without really responding to what I was saying, as you've pretty much done in my interactions with you on boards for the past 15+ years.

QuoteI'm not really sure why there's a big push here to alienate (pun intended) the already existing fan base in favor of drawing in adolescent LGBTQ females. I felt Alex White's novel made some serious strides in opening up Alien to LGBTQ identity politics while remaining satisfying to fans who were already into the franchise. This book is doing the opposite.

^That's me, having an "attack of the vapours."

My main gripe is that it's boring and the characters are one-dimensional, regardless of their sexual orientation. I couldn't give two shits about that. As cliche as it is for a teenager to obsess over being kissed, it would obviously be more cliche if it was Olivia and Michel. But the book doesn't take any real risks other than a mere introduction of a progressive romance among adolescents. If this book wants to pretend like it's the first YA novel to lean into LGBTQ+ territory... LOL. Boring is about as bad a transgression as a piece of writing can commit. One-dimensional is about as bad a transgression as a writer can commit when creating characters. Flat characters are needed, as are foils. But it's a bit overboard when basically every character, again save Viola, has no dynamism or complexity. I couldn't care less about their orientation, but if you think my argument is homophobic, keep building a straw man. I predicted that response as soon as I sent the post.

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 04, 2019, 10:13:24 AM
Reeee! The gays!

I might actually pick it up now, although I'm sure Nostromo is being hyperbolic with "one of the best novels ever written" now, c'mon.

In the thousands of years of human writing, it's not even close. I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like it. But yeah, c'mon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed