Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel

Started by felix, Jul 19, 2018, 12:59:24 AM

Author
Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel (Read 55,552 times)

Corporal Hicks

Aliens are doing what Aliens do, killing people.

SM

And one particularly nastily, for those worried about this being 'for kids'.

Xenomrph

Having not read the novel yet I can't say if it takes this route, but tying Alien's inherent psycho-sexual subtext into young adult angst/puberty would be a pretty novel way to take things.

Samhain13

I'm reading If it Bleeds and just read her short story.  Twins main characters too, maybe its a trend for her? I liked the story, creature's portrayal was fine. Interested on her take on the aliens.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 11, 2019, 12:44:31 AM
I'm reading If it Bleeds and just read her short story.  Twins main characters too, maybe its a trend for her? I liked the story, creature's portrayal was fine. Interested on her take on the aliens.
Come to think of it, the protagonists in her "Deadline" series were twins, as well.

Xiggz456

Just finished it and I had a good time with this one.

Spoiler
I was certainly feeling a false sense of security with teenagers being teenagers when shit hit the fan and I loved that. Also the synthetic reveal was really well done and completely surprised me. The aliens were ruthless and powerful as they should be and the ending wasn't exactly happy (which I always like). The YA aspect only came into play via the first person narrative from a hormonal 17 year old girl's perspective but everything else was pretty much R-rated, deadly and high stakes. My minor critique would be that sometimes the first person sections were a bit superfluous but not enough so to ruin the story. 
[close]

All in all a tense and unforgiving solid book (and speaking of solid I'm glad it got the Hardback treatment as I prefer hardback covers over paperback books).

HybridNewborn

Does this mention anywhere when it's set?

SM

No, but it will become clear in the future.

HybridNewborn

Intriguing!

HybridNewborn

had a bit of a hard time powering through the opening which is very much in line with young adult fiction I've experienced over in the Star Wars neck of the woods, but once the shit hits the fan it rapidly becomes much more to taste. About halfway through the book, enjoying it thus far.

Corporal Hicks

Competition to win a copy -

And a review - https://wordofthenerdonline.com/review-alien-echo-by-mira-grant/

I think they're missing YA from their introduction paragraph but they liked it.

I've got the last chapter left to read and I've finished this.

Nostromo

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 23, 2019, 06:15:15 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 23, 2019, 04:28:58 PM
Audio books are usually more expensive.

Oh right.  Missed the whole audio book part there.  Speed reading!

But seriously, they're really that expensive?  That's bananas.  Got to go with Audible instead.

Just resubscribed to Amazon's Audible again, they actualy gave it to me for free, it would have costed 14.95 instead which is very decent for an audiobook.

Corporal Hicks

I received a shipping notice for my physical edition.

Frosty Venom

I bought a physical copy a couple of days ago  :)

The Old One

The Old One

Thoughts anyone?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed