"Stranger Things" connected itself to the Predator Universe

Started by Original Predator, Nov 10, 2017, 05:46:10 PM

Author
"Stranger Things" connected itself to the Predator Universe (Read 6,271 times)

Original Predator

I just started this series; I knew something was up in episode 1, when "Jim Hopper" was the Sherriff in the town called "Hawkins". 

That's not some accident.  Whether or not it's merely and "ode" or will have some depth someday...it's pretty fun.  Can't help but wonder the timing with a new pred coming.  Shane Black give a wink-nod to something????

Get ready to flip to the Upside Down, because this intriguing Stranger Things reveal from the Duffer Brothers might just blow your mind. Detective Jim Hopper is a rough and tumble guy with a hard past and a soft heart. Of course we all adore him and his gruff ways, but did you ever think of him as the main focus of the show? Probably not. But, in an unseen twist, the entire show might just revolve around him.

On a recent episode of the Nerdist podcast, host Chris Hardwick sat down and chatted with the Duffers about Season 2 of Stranger Things. They went deep on their previous series Wayward Pines, the beauty of Netflix, and the production schedule for the show. However, the two bros remained pretty tight-lipped about upcoming details for Season 2.

That is, until they let this fun nugget of information slip.

"We have a small version of that. I think, in Predator, the guy that Arnold is searching for is named Jim Hopper. And he's like all skinned and killed by the Predator. So that's our version. Stranger Things is just one elaborate Predator prequel." [...] "At the end of the show – I mean, he's hunting monsters now – so the government's like hey, you need to go to the jungle, and he gets killed and then that's it. So that's where we're headed."

Darkness

Yeah, I just started watching Stranger Things this week and noticed it straight away. I don't know if it was a deliberate reference or not.

skhellter

And the new Predator film is influenced by Stranger Things.
(according to Shane Black and Dekker)

Corporal Hicks

Original Predator

DerelictShip

Very cool, also noticed a ton of aliens references (hive, hosts, atmosphere of the sets, etc...)

Original Predator

Quote from: DerelictShip on Nov 15, 2017, 04:56:34 PM
Very cool, also noticed a ton of aliens references (hive, hosts, atmosphere of the sets, etc...)

Yeah just got done with a scene that was straight out of Aliens. 

P. Riser as a scientist.

So many cool odes.

Kailem

Kailem

I also liked how....

*Stranger Things 2 spoilers*

Spoiler
...his character was basically the flip side of Burke (or would that be Upside Down? :laugh:). Both characters are immediately introduced as working for a sinister, shadowy organisation, but whereas Burke initially appears to be a good guy and is slowly revealed to be bad, in Stranger Things Dr. Owens seems to be bad to start off with but ends up being revealed as good.

Ultimately both characters end up being attacked by the monsters of the respective piece, but whereas Burke is attacked by an Alien and dies, Owens on the other hand is attacked by a Demo-Dog and survives.
[close]

As you say, just a cool homage overall, and it was nice to see Paul Reiser again in some great new modern sci-fi.

Marcus Warren

Marcus Warren

love it 8) Just started to watch, really liked it right away, I recommend it to everyone. In general, I watch a lot of films after reading a book from the last Albert Camus 'The Outsider, check out the website with my essays, very easy and exciting. My expectations are justified, without further ado, I wish you all the best and good movie views!  ;)

Dingbat

That could be cool, does anyone consider it to be in the same universe?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Dingbat on Jun 29, 2020, 10:37:15 AM
That could be cool, does anyone consider it to be in the same universe?

I hope not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed