Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People"

Started by Stolen, Jun 21, 2016, 08:14:21 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People" (Read 35,794 times)

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

In fact, I'll raise that point with an example of Fear of the Walking Dead. It's a zombie prequel! I've seen zombies all my life, I know what they look like, what happens if you get bitten ... but it's the emotional attachment you develop to a character and then when they are confronted with danger you edge to the edge of your seat. Or, and I don't mean to be silly, but I just watched Mi5, and the scene with Tom Cruise when he's under water ... I really thought he wasn't going to make it. Now I know it's an action movie, but whoever directed that film, hats off for that scene. I really thought he was dead! Now if Ridley can recapture that with great character that you really care about, then you're talking star-beast fear refresh, and lots of happy cinema goers :) So to conclude, great characters you really care about + excellent "Alien" aliens = fear reboot: one doesn't work without the other

Doggo33

I expect the movie overall will indeed be "much worse" just not in the way Ridley Scott means.

NickisSmart

Quote from: CelticPred97 on Jul 02, 2016, 06:34:35 PM
I expect the movie overall will indeed be "much worse" just not in the way Ridley Scott means.

Why?

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 25, 2016, 11:40:45 PM
Behave yourselves!

Now with that out of the way; some people think Alien³ is the best alien movie ever made.

Alien3 is only hated bc

- it could have been much more bc of the restrictions of Fox
- extended cut is much entertaining
- they killed of characters at the beginning
- its the same chasedown-horror as Alien

Personaly i think, for the character Ripley is a "nice" ending. How she cant escape her faith and the xeno and how it destroys and takes everything away from her. The movie is just realistic, im glad they made it like that and not to go back to the xenos homeworld, this saga didnt need an epic ending, its a story of Ripley, she saved the world in the butthole of the universe, no one will know about it. Shes just an ordenary woman(troughout all the 3 movies), yet the bigest hero of the universe.
Alien3 is underrated big time.

Now i dunno whats so special about Prometheus besides the sets, that its an Alien movie and Fassbender. The whole movie is shallow, not scary at all, has no tension and most of the characters do the dumbest things ever for no reason. And not such dumb things like Dallas going the wrong way because he scared or Golic loving the Xeno because hes a psycho. For me Prometheus is an Alien vs Predator remake with better actors and sets.

Plagueharvester813

how can you beat the chestburster

NickisSmart

Prometheus did a good job with the surgery scene. If only there had been proper build-up to the scene, and Shaw dying during the surgery or shortly afterwards. It was close, but no cigar.

Scorpio

The surgery scene is brilliant.  It exploits modern fears well.  In Alien, it was the trauma of natural birth.  In Prometheus, it's about surgery (specifically, a cesarean which a lot of women get nowadays instead of the traditional 'birth').

I think it's a classic scene and right up there with the chesburster.  ;D

Mister Skeezler

For expectant parents there's also a strange and irrational fear that there's a monster growing inside the mother. It usually comes out in nightmares, so the surgery scene really preyed on that.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The surgery scene was considerably more harrowing in the earlier drafts. The whole scene was almost the raison d'être for the film. Shaw would have become the first person to survive a chest-bursting. It was really hectic (and messy), probably a little bit too much for modern audiences.

We actually got a very watered-down version of the original concept.

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 04, 2016, 06:41:15 AM
Prometheus did a good job with the surgery scene. If only there had been proper build-up to the scene, and Shaw dying during the surgery or shortly afterwards. It was close, but no cigar.

Problem is gore isnt scary, it just creates disgust. The director needs to build up to the monster and tp create tension amongst the characters and audiance....the less u get the more u appriciate it, ie. Alien, Jurassic Park, Predator. Prometheus first act works really well, even the worm attack too...but after that,it slips out of Ridley's hand as he throws all kinds of threats in your face and at his characters like space zombies, space tentacles, giant alien humanoids, space infection, a spaecraft destroying Earth...all out of the blue.

NickisSmart

Hence why I say "no cigar." Gore by itself is ineffective without proper build-up and attachment to the characters.

szkoki

szkoki

Yes and Ridley doesnt seem like understands the jist of it, see Holloway was introduced troughout the movie as a loudmouth jerk.
Same goes for Vickers and for her dead.. So i didnt give two cents about them.
And the pilots death was also irrelevant since they werent flushed out at all, same goes for no name goons. They all just died without knowing anything about them.

Milburn and Shaw were the most flushed out and most likeable ones.

I was more sad when Aaron, Clemens, Dillon died. They've a got build up, also the xeno got one. Alien3 is a good horror :3

I dont have such computer to produce movies in HD but i always wanted to cut together a Prometheus - Personal cut with

- cutting out the enginers and the digging part at the beginning (unnecessary)
- addign the transmission scenes while Prometheus burst trough space, it would make total sense that those transmissions are dritfting trough space (helps building characters)
- and adding every extra scene to the movie wich helps building characters and tension (too bad some of them were unfinished)
- also exchanging asshole Holloway in the bedroom with romantic Holloway

These wouldnt make the movie a 9/10 but would make it reasonable that its a 7/10.

NickisSmart

I hated the deleted scene, where Holloway takes Shaw pretty roughly. In the end, she yields (whatever floats her boat, I guess) but for two characters who are supposed to have chemistry the scene didn't really explain their attraction. In fact, I couldn't tell why they were together apart their mutual desire to meet aliens, or whatever, but even then, they disagreed rather strongly. Opposites, attract, and all that--sure, fine, whatever. I understand the concept, but didn't like the characters when they were onscreen, together. They did nothing but argue and bicker, it felt like.

The movie wasn't really that funny. For such a short film (shorter than Alien, and that film, with the number of characters and the rate at which they are dealt with, is expeditious), I found it far easier to bond with jokers like Parker and Brett, than, say, Milburn and Fifield, who clearly were supposedly to be the comedic relief, in Prometheus. The short amount of time they spend onscreen is used to demonstrate how much they dislike each other, with a small chuckle being delivered right before the Hammerpede scene. Nobody in the movie likes each other, even remotely. It's like, none of them could relate to each other, and if they can't, how are we supposed to relate to them? There has to be some kind of understandable animosity or friendship. Alien did this very well, was a very lean film at the same time. Prometheus, on the other hand, was far too skeletal to stand on its own two feet.

My point is, this skeletal, truncated, terminally-abreviated quality to Prometheus, left it unable to function as a horror film or an adventure film, because most of the characters were unlikeable or difficult to relate to, or just downright confusing. People die in horror films, so you have to be able to relate to them, or the deaths don't mean anything.

The one character I appreciated the most was David, who is ironically the most enigmatic and duplicitous, but infinitely more enjoyable than the bevy of other baffling crew members. While the others were confusing, however, I was able, with David, to theorize and potentially understand his motives. He's a complex character, but studying his actions gleans something satisfying: a) He was funny and b) while he hated certain characters, I got why. He pretended to like them, but had things going on beneath the surface that gave him a layered, satisfyingly-mysterious quality to his persona. With characters like Shaw or Holloway or Vickers, they were simple, and did things that were more confusing than anything else. Attempting to reason their actions yielded confusion, and frustration, because they really are simple, with everything laid up in front of you, but the pieces don't add up. It's like having a jigsaw puzzle with 2-3 pieces where none of them fit. There's nothing complex going on--it's just nothing works.

If Scott really wants to scare people, he needs to avoid the kind of simple, confusing character design that populated Prometheus' cast. Less characters, more screen time, more laughs, more compatible and sympathetic people and situations. I'm not a trucker, but I can still identify with the Nostromo crew, on some level. The only person I could relate with in Prometheus is David, and he's not even human! Maybe that's the point, sort of like in 2001, where the human characters have essentially become dehumanized. But then, in Prometheus, trying to tug at the audience's heartstrings when Holloway buys the farm, or scaring us properly during any of the other fatalities, is like mixing beer and wine.

Mister Skeezler

In Millburn and Fifield's defense, they pretty much just met each other, whereas Parker and Brett were kind of friends.

Astronoë

Astronoë

Quote from: plagueharvester813 on Jul 04, 2016, 05:55:12 AM
how can you beat the chestburster

Spiders... brrr....  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZaFsUEGnfU

imagine those f**kers in a r rated movie..

They r creepy as f**k...they look soft white jellyfish n yet as hard crabs with spider features...like some super predators in your worst nightmare..
I wish someone would draw them in xenomorphish style..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed