Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 03, 2020, 02:03:59 AM

Author
Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens? (Read 35,905 times)

Munkeywrench

Both Alien and Aliens have been my favorite growing up and still are today. Neither one of them will ever get old to me.

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2020, 07:47:27 AM
Alien is the giant upon whose shoulders everything that came after stood.

Yup this is true!

Kradan

Don't throw shit at me for this, but it seems to me that nowadays liking Alien over Aliens perceived as ... a trait of a smarter, more sophisticated human being. Alien now is kinda like that small but very shiny gem of cinema history. But when you mention Aliens people go: "Oh, these 80's again. One-liners, military, oorah, boom, bam. I liked it when I was 12". It's like enjoying Aliens is being childish, non-serious today.

That said, I watch Aliens far less than I used to. But the same applies to Alien. I watch Alien 3 and Covenant more often now.

Doctor Ash

Because Alien is a really scary and creepy horror masterpiece, while Aliens is basically just another scifi war movie imo.

SM

QuoteDon't throw shit at me for this, but it seems to me that nowadays liking Alien over Aliens perceived as ... a trait of a smarter, more sophisticated human being.

It's not nowadays.  Liking Alien over Aliens has always been the trait of a smarter, more sophisticated human being.

Kradan

Well, that's outright rude.

SM

Reality can be cruel.

Kradan

SM = Reality.

Duly noted

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 05, 2020, 10:08:42 PM
QuoteDon't throw shit at me for this, but it seems to me that nowadays liking Alien over Aliens perceived as ... a trait of a smarter, more sophisticated human being.

It's not nowadays.  Liking Alien over Aliens has always been the trait of a smarter, more sophisticated human being.

What about liking Alien 3 over Aliens?

SM

Hipsters.

Quote from: Kradan on May 05, 2020, 10:18:17 PM
SM = Reality.

Duly noted

Good lad.

Kradan

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Aliens is a great movie and i like it, but I actually prefer Alien, because it's not only more horror, but also it feels kind of "real".

For example, the work colleagues don't feel like they're all best friends forever. They aren't hostile either, like Clemens and Andrews or maybe Fifield and Millburn in the beginning. They keep it kinda civil like in real life. Also for example, after Ripley and Ash had their dispute why Ash doesn't gain more progress, they show him taking a drink and going out of the room. This last moment feels so real. Movies usually would have skipped this, because it's unnecessary. But I like this, because it feels so "organic" and real. I can dive into this movie better, if that makes any sense.

I'm also a bit conflicted with the Queen idea. I actually would have prefered the egg morphing. Now the Aliens are like an ant hive or a bee hive. Though the Queen looks really cool, including AVP 1 movie, I rather would have prefered the Xenomorph to be less like an insect.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I don't even want to know what does make you if you like AVP Requiem over Alien.

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

razeak

What is today? Tuesday? Alien is my favorite. Yesterday it was Aliens, might be again tomorrow.

That's the cycle for me lol.

They are both masterpieces. 

If someone can only see Aliens as an action film, I think they are missing a lot of the subtext, and the central theme of the film. It's a film that happens to have action. It's just some of the best action ever filmed.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: razeak on May 06, 2020, 04:02:00 AM
What is today? Tuesday? Alien is my favorite. Yesterday it was Aliens, might be again tomorrow.

If someone can only see Aliens as an action film, I think they are missing a lot of the subtext, and the central theme of the film. It's a film that happens to have action. It's just some of the best action ever filmed.

Wait! what if Alien was made last Tuesday but with the cinematographic appearance of being 41 years old ???

Spoiler

Makes you smart on Tuesdays though.  8)

Kradan

Quote from: razeak on May 06, 2020, 04:02:00 AM

Yep. It's not about "oorah, we won !", it's about "oh f**k, we lost !"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed