Aliens: Fireteam Class Walkthroughs - Gunner and Technician!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 12, 2021, 05:55:12 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Class Walkthroughs - Gunner and Technician! (Read 14,847 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 17, 2021, 11:22:04 AM
Quote from: Drukathi on Mar 17, 2021, 07:05:34 AM
Quote from: Grimtaur on Mar 17, 2021, 05:51:03 AM
Does anyone know if we're going to get helmets?

I think - no.

For the same reason that we have a third person view - character customization.

Yeah, this seems probable to me.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2021, 12:04:54 PM
I don't see how that would stop it. It's a customization option. But we'll see.

I was at least meaning, you watch Apone, Hudson and Vasquez enter a dark & shadowy corridor in Aliens, and from behind/in 3rd person, it's hard to tell Apone and Hudson apart sometimes, but Vasquez stands out from behind because of that hair, the red bandanna, and you can see her neck clearly. Clearly Vasquez would be wearing a helmet if it was real life. So unless you go for different color helmets, the Colonial Marine helmet as a marine requirement can hide the customization of the character. It wouldn't matter as much in a first person shooter, but this is a 3rd person game that seems dependent on its replay value.

But I do get you that they can just create helmets as optional, then you're good. Just another level of customization. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything. It be up to the player. Like Drake's hat, or Vasquez's bandanna.

mesh

mesh

There is a head accessory slot, it's just empty. You can see it clearly in the last screenshot, the one with the Gunner loadout, under Appearance it says "No Head Accessory". So there should be helmets etc.

On another note, what's up with the new pulse rifle? I kinda dig the visual design but functionally that rifle looks like a real mess.
It looks like it should still fire the 10mm explosive-tip caseless ammo from the top barrel and it's Tommy gun action like the classic M41A Pulse rifle, but the underbarrel part looks like it now houses a second rifle barrel with an AR15 style bolt and brass deflector (therefore, this one is using cased ammo) and what looks like a flash hider / compensator at the muzzle. What the hell? Does this thing use two different actions, two different barrels and two different calibers just to fire bullets out of both of them? It just makes no sense, and therefore makes an otherwise visually decent looking design off-putting.

Judging by the looks, this game went from creative while at the same time fairly realistic and well-researched sci-fi firearms and equipment of the second film to haphazardly and/or ignorantly slapped together toys just because... "looks cool"?

Disappointing.

What's worse, the more I look into this game, the more of these little red flags keep popping up and a very uneasy yet familiar feeling starts creeping in...  :(

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didn't pay attention before but yes it does look like the underbarrel has a flash compensator on it.  Only answer maybe is that it is a modular component added onto the weapon system (since it clearly doesnt have the pump action grenade launcher on it) that hasn't been added to the weapon system yet.

If not, then yes, it is an oversight. 

Actually it would be an oversight anyways.  THe only way they can fix it really is by hiding the ejector port with a skin or something.   It would be in the wrong place no matter if the a2 went back to using cased ammo or not.   The ejection port has to be in line with the charging handle, it wouldn't have generated a casing before hand.

It they meant the ejection port to be used for the under barrel, they still have it in the wrong place as the only ammunition that would pass by it now is the 10mm rounds from the magazine feeding the main barrels ammo.

I wasn't looking for it, but now that I see it, it can't be unseen.

mesh

I know what you mean, but it most likely can't be a modular component because the bolt and brass deflector of the lower barrel are part of the receiver (body of the rifle, green part) itself and don't seem to be removable without significant disassembly and/or alteration by an armorer.
They are also located directly over and perfectly in line with the magazine...  which also means (or at least very strongly suggests) that they feed from it. Which makes even less sense.
Also, the underbarrel does not have a trigger for firing it, at least from what I can see.

I hope I'm wrong, but there are just too many things pointing the other way.

@Darkness: Don't know what was edited in my first post, everything is exactly as originally posted.

Kimarhi

I think the under barrel will be able to be used simply because it would feel unnatural for this game to be the first Aliens game without a pulse rifle that could shoot grenades.  My guess is that you will be able to unlock things like a grenade launcher or a shotgun to use later. 

That said, yes the ejection port is in the wrong place.  And you don't need a flash suppressor for a shotgun or a grenade launcher, as you don't use grenades as a primary weapon, and you would only use shotguns to breach doors unless things went completely sideways and the pr was out of ammo and you had no other means to defend yourself. 

The easiest fix would be just to skin over the ejection port.  Its in the wrong place whether the a2 goes back to using cased rounds, OR if it is meant to be the secondary barrel ejection port. 

Kailem

I think the whole reason we're getting a variant of the pulse rifle instead of a 100% movie-accurate version is simply because we won't be getting the underslung grenade launcher or anything like that because A) it would infringe on some of the class abilities (like grenades or the shoulder rockets) and B) it's a pretty OP gun that usually gets toned down in some form or another for video games. 99 rounds plus a grenade launcher as a standard weapon would make it almost pointless to use anything else. Hence we're getting a "modern" version without the grenade launcher and with a lower 60-round capacity to balance it out a bit.

BlueMarsalis79

Kailem

You're right, 95. Just slightly less OP.

Grimtaur

With regards to my previous concern about hoping that there will be helmets - look at this screen capture from the 25 minute gameplay. Maybe there's hope?

https://imgur.com/BaLfFNL

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

That is a beanie but it is headwear.

Quote from: Kailem on Mar 18, 2021, 09:49:02 AM
I think the whole reason we're getting a variant of the pulse rifle instead of a 100% movie-accurate version is simply because we won't be getting the underslung grenade launcher or anything like that because A) it would infringe on some of the class abilities (like grenades or the shoulder rockets) and B) it's a pretty OP gun that usually gets toned down in some form or another for video games. 99 rounds plus a grenade launcher as a standard weapon would make it almost pointless to use anything else. Hence we're getting a "modern" version without the grenade launcher and with a lower 60-round capacity to balance it out a bit.

Eh, I don't really see that happening.  Hard to take out probably one of the three most iconic pieces of Marine equipment in the movie (motion tracker, m41a, and smartgun) just because.  The easier way to balance the classes would be just to not have that configuration available to the classes you didn't want to have it. 

But maybe. 

I'm still betting m41 with grenade launcher is available, especially when they said that some of the customization/ability will be interclass. 

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Grimtaur on Mar 18, 2021, 12:27:45 PM
With regards to my previous concern about hoping that there will be helmets - look at this screen capture from the 25 minute gameplay. Maybe there's hope?

https://imgur.com/BaLfFNL
Thats a wool cap with a headset, helmets will be in the game though

mesh

There's nothing wrong with designing new variants of the pulse rifle, as long as that's done with the same level of quality as the original. The original was designed in the 1980's and now it's 2021 - with the amount of knowledge that's freely available on the internet today, there's simply no excuse for delivering anything less.

@Kimarhi:
The easiest way to fix the rifle is to simply move the magwell and the muzzle device up.
Like so:

Fixes all of the problems, and leaves the underbarrel (black) section freely interchangeable - free to mount different modules like grenade/smoke launchers, shotguns etc. all of which should and now can be independent and self-contained systems.

Voodoo Magic

It's acid resistant wool!  ;D

Kimarhi

When I was in we had watchcaps but were never allowed to use them.

Just like we had boonie caps, but were never allowed to use them either, except for about three months when I was deployed and that was because our highest ranking officer was an LT and he didnt give a f**k.  But then he instituted a no hat, no salute policy and that ended that. 

The Army always amazed me at this thought process.  Bring all this shit with you that you could use, but won't let you for whatever reason, and then force the joes to keep up with it.  Then somewhere up the line some bright idea guy would be like, "Oh geez, look at all this unnecessary gear our guys are carrying!"  Half of it is unnecessary because we never got to use it.  The simple solution would be to just not issue shit we can't use anyway.   But instead of doing anything about it, you don't use it, but carry it anyways. 

I do still use the boonie when I mow though.  They ended up letting me keep it because I cut the strap out of it and you can't return it like that. 

BlueMarsalis79

Sometimes I'm glad I know nothing of guns.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed