More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 01, 2021, 05:53:22 AM

Author
More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5! (Read 68,061 times)

skhellter

skhellter

To sum it all up. By the looks of it, seems like the idea was:

Ripley and Hicks radicalized against the Company and decided to conduct attacks against WY research sites.
(Ripley becomes.. Sarah Connor, then.)

There's no corny "Hicks and Ripley and Newt are one big happy family" stuff.

And the plan was to continue with Cameron's aesthetics
while injecting some anime-style influences of their own (the merc helmets are very Appleseed).

And it would've ended with a probably definite defeat of the Company.

Other thoughts:

I like that there's no big Colonial Marines presence in this. There's the dropship and some guns, armor.. that's fine. 
The Biomech suit stuff could be something they could get away with.. if they did big redesigns
(gotta get away from that Atax, Halloween clownshoes suit aesthetic).

Kradan

I swear to God, if somebody just throws "something something daddy issues" ...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 15, 2021, 07:55:19 PM
To sum it all up. By the looks of it, seems like the idea was:

Ripley and Hicks radicalized against the Company and decided to conduct attacks against WY research sites.
(Given how they've lost so many colleagues, friends due to the Company... yah it makes sense).

There's no corny "Hicks and Ripley and Newt are one big happy family" stuff.

And the plan was to continue with Cameron's aesthetics
while injecting some anime-style influences of their own (the merc helmets are very Appleseed).

And it would've ended with a probably definite defeat of the Company.

Other thoughts:

I like that there's no big Colonial Marines presence in this. There's the dropship and some guns, armor.. that's fine. 
The Biomech suit stuff could be something they could get away with.. if they did big redesigns
(gotta get away from that Atax, Halloween suit aesthetic).

Blomkamp has kind of been channeling a "Cameron meets Verhoeven with a splash of anime" aesthetic and tone through his first three films, so that definitely seems to fit the bill and gel with what we're seeing in the art here.

The biggest determents for me, like you said, are the very Atax/Kenner-inspired suits, and the odd genetic offshoot Aliens we saw in art a few years back - the ones with multiple heads, limbs, etc. The central ideas/concepts intrigue me, though, and I like Blomkamp's filmmaking enough that I would have been curious to see the final result here. It'd be hard to top Alien 3's Assembly Cut for me, and I certainly wouldn't expect this too (and if I had to pick between only this or only Covenant existing, I'd choose Covenant) - but there's room for different ideas and continuities in Alien. Every filmmaker that comes in puts their own stamp on the material and kind of sidesteps the previous filmmaker's intent anyways, and one of my favorite things about the franchise on the whole is that each filmmaker that comes in is able to really let their own distinct voice shine through. Each Alien film is just as much a distinct part of each individual director's filmography as it is a part of the franchise. There isn't a "house style" that they all adhere to, and I love that.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 15, 2021, 08:04:09 PM
Cameron meets Verhoeven with a splash of anime

That alone excites me more than whole Covenant.

Nightmare Asylum

Makes me really wish that Blomkamp's Robocop sequel had actually been realized, personally. :D

skhellter

Weaver is now way older than Linda Hamilton was when she did Dark Fate.
(although recently she was doing a lot of stunts for the Avatar sequels, so she's still in pretty good shape).

If this thing still has any chance of getting made it has to be soon-ish.

acrediblesource

What bewilders me is that a man who is essentially "just' a produce/funder of projects is constantly being referred to as the creative. I must admit though if he specifically wrote the design of the entire concept art i would be astonished as to how much attention to detail he has. But then again, should I respect the concept artist? He's not necessarily his rightarm of Blomkamp's is he?
So maybe I should just deem Blomkamp as a Stan Winston type. Someone who is willing to aquire talent as needed for a project. Unfortunately Stan Winston never directed films who only facilitated the studio that made the designs.
So is Blomkamp a designer or a director or both? f**k! Why not say he is inline with Disney rather any other entity?

SiL

... What?

Blomkamp is a designer. He started in FX. I cannot understand what the rest of that post is even meant to mean.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

My issue is that many people here will just assume that if you see concept art you will automatically assume that it was a "Blomkamp" piece and many people will just assume that it is 'his' work.
This Alien concept art takes the heap of unwarranted credit when the whole project is considered a limbo or dead project with stuff sourced out by this guy who 'paid' for it to be made.
Unfortuntely there is no pride here about who did what and every time i see the other works from the artist who made this stuff....you might get....Well thats a Blomkamp peice. Im like holy shit,  give credit where credit is due for f**ks sakes.

SiL

Nobody assumes he did the art, the artists are clearly labeled?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 15, 2021, 09:01:12 PM
My issue is that many people here will just assume that if you see concept art you will automatically assume that it was a "Blomkamp" piece and many people will just assume that it is 'his' work.
This Alien concept art takes the heap of unwarranted credit when the whole project is considered a limbo or dead project.

Huh? We all know that Geoffroy Thoorens is the artist here. Just as we all know that the art was done for Blomkamp's narrative, and adheres to Blomkamp's design sensibilities.

acrediblesource

Great. at least you know who did it.

skhellter

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 15, 2021, 08:51:39 PM
What bewilders me is that a man who is essentially "just' a produce

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

That pretty much how I see this puppet. Who would  have thought he'd make a film based off of Anthem?!!? I guess since he had nothing to do with that game nobody will attach his 'design' work with it.

Blamkamp = Nofrills (you'll never know what he represents as produce).

skhellter

a credible confused source from a distant star system

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed