The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 20, 2018, 08:14:45 PM

Do you think they should make another AVP film?

Yes, continuing from the previous films.
Yes, but disregarding the previous AVP films (New continuity)
No, they should be kept seperate.
No, the  AVP movies messed up the franchise.
Not sure/maybe.
Author
The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise (Read 23,171 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I was checking out wikipedia and seeing if there is anything more on the Covenant sequel, I decided to check out the AVP franchise section and it seems Shane Black thinks there could be hope for another movie.

http://www.predator4-movie.com/news/shane-black-thinks-theres-hope-another-alien-vs-predator

The problem I have with this article is that it seems Shane Black said (or at least someone who thinks he said) that every Predator film happened in this continuity, including the AVP ones. Apparently this was said at SDCC. I will try and find some videos on that for confirmation.

This other article quotes him and it appears he doesn't actual say anything to do with AVP movies. https://comicbookrumors.com/the-future-of-alien-and-versus-predator/

The quote "The events of Predators, the Robert Rodriquez one, have not happened yet and Predator 2 has probably happened already. It's present day, it's 2018. It's a reimaging for 2018 of The Predator but all the events of the other movies are sort of acknowledged."

I will still check out a video of the interview/panel to see what is said.

Side noteL Haha "safer to have one and not need it than need one and not have one" (wink)." I might be wrong but I think Rousseau's line was actually "rather have one and not need it and need it and not have one."

The second article mentions an Alien skull in Predators, I don't remember seeing that and as for the jaw bone on Berserker, that is simply too wide to be Xenomorph jaw bone, the teeth are also wrong.

If there is to be another AVP movie, I would like it to start fresh, new continuity with nothing to do with the previous AVP films.
If they want to recycle ideas/concepts like Wolf's design, his whip and plasma pistol, the shurikens and so on, then that is fine, so long as the continuity isn't. And for the love of all that is holy and giger, no egg barfing or rapid life-cycle. Lets have some level of plausibility.

So Shane Black thinks there is hope, only the result of The Predator, Covenent's sequel and the new Alien game will show the studio whether these monsters still have life in them yet and could still be worth a crossover.  If they think there is no longer and interesting in the franchises then an AVP film will be unlikely.

35.48 onward.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Since the franchises got divorced I thought the chances of that were quite low, now with the Disney thing...

Yeah I don't see it happening, either way the AVP concept just seemed too much for someone to get it right in a movie, better leave it for the EU.

If The Predator does good, it may have other Predator only sequels, Ridley just want one more movie so after that who knows?  I would prefer a new predator or avp game, Isolation already gave me what I wanted, but an alien one is better than nothing, hope that goes well.

Wysps

Yes, but disregarding the previous AVP films (New continuity).  The stories in the comics are a goldmine.  I commented in another thread that the series would get off to a better start if a new AvP was established on the original source material (probably the Noguchi story) then with a storyline that's "thought up" by writers.

The Cruentus

I agree. I personally would not want a new AVP film to be a continuation of the previous films either, Requiem almost killed the franchise and it messed the mythology up. I dislike David creating the Xenomorph but at least Covenant erased those films from the continuity.

I would say base a new AVP film on around the comics, such as the one you mentioned or one where there is no team up.
There was a few good ideas in the first AVP film, the concept of being trapped in an Alien temple that is both claustrophobic and moveable seems neat.

Corporal Hicks

Give me a new Alien vs. Predator film! While I do like the pyramids, I don't want a new film to really have anything to do with the old ones. Give me something more in line with the comics or the games - how they should have done it originally. And for the love of God, no more team-ups. I think we're getting a little tired of them.

The Cruentus

Yeah, Predators need to regain their scare factor and monstrosity, these team ups tend to make them too much like anti-heroes or sympathetic.

I am trying to think of a comic/novel that was good but had no team up, war perhaps, which showed how brutal the Predators were, but I fear it may show too much of their culture or behaviour out of the hunt, the EU really is a gold mine of potential stories that could be translated on screen but it may need to be altered to be more plausible because honestly some of these stories tend to be crazy, like eternal where a man has lived for centurious by eating Predator hearts.

happypred

The concept is more than solid...but it was handed to Anderson and the Strause Brothers. The latter (though by no means great movie directors) were further hamstrung by being denied a space/future setting...so we got a small hick town in 2004

The Cruentus

The first film could have been good with the right set up, the pg 13 rating didn't help and the characters needed more development. Setting it on earth was probably not a good idea either. While antartica is an isolated and dangerous environment, the characters don't act is if they enduring extreme cold weather. Lex should have been dead without her coat.

The problem with concept is the two franchises are different in tone. Alien had a relatively realistic down to earth tone while Predator was basically typical 80s action genre, which were known for being over the top.

Corporal Hicks

I think the Predator franchise is very flexible, though. You can place it within that Alien/s tone very well. It's what I feel like the comics and games did.

D88M

A new, good AVP movie would do great at the box office if the marketing was well made (that pretty much is the only reason a movie does well or not) we need a new standalone story based on nothing but the original Alien/Predator movies in every aspect, 150/200 millon of dollars for budget, and it has to be adult, dark, serious, really violent, and suspensful. The second AVP game is the best thing we got with the idea, maybe the only good thing.

Is not that hard, the concept sells itself, we just need competent people at the helm.

Also, i cannot bare that Black thought of making the AVP movies canon, what the hell was he thinking? Is the worst idea since making a AVP movie in a small rural town in modern time.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 21, 2018, 11:52:27 AM

The problem with concept is the two franchises are different in tone. Alien had a relatively realistic down to earth tone while Predator
was basically typical 80s action genre, which were known for being over the top.

This.

SM

QuoteWhile antartica is an isolated and dangerous environment, the characters don't act is if they enduring extreme cold weather. Lex should have been dead without her coat.

Why?  Minimum temps on Bouvetoya in October average -7C.  After running around try to get away from the Queen, she's not going to die in a few minutes since Scar dies and her walking to one of the snowmobiles.

The Cruentus

My bad. Thought it was colder than that.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 21, 2018, 12:45:22 PM
I think the Predator franchise is very flexible, though. You can place it within that Alien/s tone very well. It's what I feel like the comics and games did.

I actually wonder what a Predator would be like in a suspense horror rather than an action horror. Nothing wrong with the previous formula of course since it worked, but I do think about how scary could a predator be given the chance and proper handling. I mean depending on who you ask, the predator was probably scary enough in the first movie.

Quote from: D88M on Aug 21, 2018, 01:28:52 PM
A new, good AVP movie would do great at the box office if the marketing was well made (that pretty much is the only reason a movie does well or not) we need a new standalone story based on nothing but the original Alien/Predator movies in every aspect, 150/200 millon of dollars for budget, and it has to be adult, dark, serious, really violent, and suspensful. The second AVP game is the best thing we got with the idea, maybe the only good thing.

Is not that hard, the concept sells itself, we just need competent people at the helm.

Also, i cannot bare that Black thought of making the AVP movies canon, what the hell was he thinking? Is the worst idea since making a AVP movie in a small rural town in modern time.

Marketing is going to have to spend a lot trying to convince people to give it a chance though since the previous AVP movies likely disillusioned some.

I don't know if the budget needs to be that high though, as I feel the movie would end up being too cgi ridden. While a low budget can cause problems such as settings and the recycling of those resurrection suits, sometimes it makes the film crew more creative and find better ways to do things that they normally wouldn't think about.

Black might have only been talking about the Predator movies, he doesn't actually say AVP from what I heard in the video. Other than he doesn't think its dead of course.

Wysps

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 21, 2018, 11:52:27 AM
The problem with concept is the two franchises are different in tone. Alien had a relatively realistic down to earth tone while Predator was basically typical 80s action genre, which were known for being over the top.

True - but like Hicks mentioned, I think in order for the AvP side of things to work, the Alien aspect doesn't necessarily need to be dumbed down.  Predator instead should be the side that gets "elevated" to match Alien (like in terms of atmospheric tone, themes, etc.)  It's possible, I think...Predator can be versatile, if the comics are any indication.   

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 21, 2018, 11:18:19 PM
I actually wonder what a Predator would be like in a suspense horror rather than an action horror. Nothing wrong with the previous formula of course since it worked, but I do think about how scary could a predator be given the chance and proper handling. I mean depending on who you ask, the predator was probably scary enough in the first movie.
This is actually what I really want to see in a future Predator or AvP movie.  Maybe a movie with more mature themes, darker in tone.  This might be the bridge that Predator needs in order to make an AvP film believable.

The Cruentus

I don't know whether the super predators might fit or not, they are certainly lacking in sportmanship and could be a more vicious and cruel antagonist,and it would be unlikely for teams ups as well.
I think one comic did sort of have "evil" predators, the three world war one I think. The Predators there had bred Xenomorphs to be their weapons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed