William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 152,529 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Please tell me that you told them about the discrepancy when you were given the first three issues' scripts to read.

SM

SM

Quote from: SM on Jul 18, 2018, 01:03:03 AM
It's all inconsequential anyway.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Like Dr. Evil's childhood?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I don't see how that's a discrepancy?

SM

SM

It isn't.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Why would the Sulaco take four years to return to Earth?

SM

SM

COMPUTER
          Attention.  Due to failure of navigational
          circuitry, Sulaco has entered a sector claimed
          by the Union of Progressive Peoples.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

And it was returning to Earth when that happened.  Are we to believe that it was lost in space for four years before it reached Anchorpoint?

SM

SM

It doesn't really matter.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Since you can't say one way or another because you relish torturing me, I'm guessing that the comic scripts simply omitted the four years line.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I thought it was supposed to take a long time to space travel in the Alien universe. Hence the glass coffins.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 18, 2018, 01:39:45 AM
Since you can't say one way or another because you relish torturing me, I'm guessing that the comic scripts simply omitted the four years line.

You seem unusually hung up on an adaptation of a script draft for a film that never got made and therefore isn't part of the canon - conforming to the canon.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Yes, I want it to at least conform to what came before (as any sequel to Aliens should).  At least this version explains the egg.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Navigational failure leads to a four year drift. I just don't see the problem. I actually like that it bothers to give us a time differential, because Alien 3 doesn't bother to indicate how much time has supposedly passed. Evidently it was supposed to be immediately following on from Aliens, but it would have been nice to have established that, especially since the Sulaco somehow drifted into close proximity of Fury 161.

Ripley's shuttle drifted for 57 years before finally being picked up, and that was with an in-film establishment of what the average turn around time was on the missions, counted in weeks and months, not years.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed