Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 115,280 times)

g2vd

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:29:24 PM

LOL, I'm definitely not speaking for everyone.

NO. Don't you dare Back-Peddle on me don't you dare!

You can say that "We" isn't a exact number and a whole number and it just meant some people. but you're wording specifically seemed to say that everybody that does not want Aliens "2" are just upset at the quality of the last two Alien movies or they are fanboys of A3.

QuoteYou are many, LOL.
It was a joke at you're comments.

Quoteso all these vocal people who are trying to prevent it from happening are the Alien 3 fanboys and they don't represent the majority.  Why?  Because that's common sense.
So...let me get this right you just said that no one knows how many people there are that don't want Aliens 2. but now you just went and MADE a estimate and profiling of these people, by saying they are nothing more than Alien 3 fan boys and are a tiny minority...in the same sentence. that makes sense because the lack of estimates, data and polls clearly suggest this...mathematically accurate count.

QuoteBut I am pretty sure that the number of people out there including casual fans or even non-fans would prefer the retcon
And I'm pretty sure those same people the way you described them wouldn't mind either way.

Kurai

I'm not an Alien 3 fanboy and I like to think of myself as vocal about my dislike of the concept of retconning the movie. Heck, I thought Whedon was totally wrong for writing an Aliens movie and find his script just way too kooky in Alien: Resurrection but I would never advocate retconning it. Denial is a crappy thing, just move on and do it right the next time in the same universe or go back and remake the whole franchise from the start or at least following on from Promethus since those are getting made and they're prequels.

The Alien Predator

I actually like Resurrection a bit more than Alien 3, so I'd hardly be classed as an Alien 3 fanboy.  :laugh:

But yeah, what Kurai said, they should just get things right the next time they make a story in the franchise. But I'd prefer they not retcon or reboot anything. Just carry on and start a new chapter if you must in the same timeline.

426Buddy

Agreed, I think alien3 is just okay with a couple droplets of great mixed in. Alien res. On the other hand I just plain don't like.

I don't want a retcon.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I'm a huge fan of Alien 3 and Resurrection, in fact I watch them more than Alien/Aliens. 

Resurrection is a strange ending for Ripley, though.  It's a bit like the happy family ending of Aliens.  Imagine having Johner, Vriess, Ripley & Call instead of Ripley, Hicks, Bishop & Newt.  I always wanted to see a sequel but I'm not complaining, if Blomkamp's movie happens it happens.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 31, 2016, 12:23:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of Alien 3 and Resurrection, in fact I watch them more than Alien/Aliens. 

Resurrection is a strange ending for Ripley, though.  It's a bit like the happy family ending of Aliens.  Imagine having Johner, Vriess, Ripley & Call instead of Ripley, Hicks, Bishop & Newt.
  I always wanted to see a sequel but I'm not complaining, if Blomkamp's movie happens it happens.

Testosterone fuelled high five!

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 30, 2016, 11:47:14 PM
I actually like Resurrection a bit more than Alien 3, so I'd hardly be classed as an Alien 3 fanboy.  :laugh:

But yeah, what Kurai said, they should just get things right the next time they make a story in the franchise. But I'd prefer they not retcon or reboot anything. Just carry on and start a new chapter if you must in the same timeline.

Fair enough.  That's a legit opinion.  Not one I share, but legit nonetheless.

Quote from: g2vd on Aug 30, 2016, 10:37:25 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 30, 2016, 09:29:24 PM

LOL, I'm definitely not speaking for everyone.
https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1001462/126294965/stock-photo-mean-angry-bull-126294965.jpg

NO. Don't you dare Back-Peddle on me don't you dare!

You can say that "We" isn't a exact number and a whole number and it just meant some people. but you're wording specifically seemed to say that everybody that does not want Aliens "2" are just upset at the quality of the last two Alien movies or they are fanboys of A3.

QuoteYou are many, LOL.
It was a joke at you're comments.

Quoteso all these vocal people who are trying to prevent it from happening are the Alien 3 fanboys and they don't represent the majority.  Why?  Because that's common sense.
So...let me get this right you just said that no one knows how many people there are that don't want Aliens 2. but now you just went and MADE a estimate and profiling of these people, by saying they are nothing more than Alien 3 fan boys and are a tiny minority...in the same sentence. that makes sense because the lack of estimates, data and polls clearly suggest this...mathematically accurate count.

QuoteBut I am pretty sure that the number of people out there including casual fans or even non-fans would prefer the retcon
And I'm pretty sure those same people the way you described them wouldn't mind either way.

Oh no you didn't!!!

I'm not back-peddling on anything guy.  I do think there are a lot of hard-core fans that are sick of Ripley.  But I think they're mostly sick of A3 and AR Ripley, not Ripley from the first 2 films.  I'm sick of how Ripley was put in these improbable situations after Aliens.  Absolutely.  But not at all sick of the character if it were to be an alternate continuation of James Cameron's masterpiece.

It is only logical to think that the casual fans in their own casual way would prefer a retcon over continuing post-A:R because Aliens represented the pinnacle of Science Fiction film achievement and the other films were ok to ho-hum.  Going by this premise, it's entirely fair to assume that Alien fans would respond positively to a retcon.  It's not mathematical, but it is common sense.  Tapping the well of James Cameron's Aliens film as a starting point for a sequel is an idea which will certainly bring droves of random people, casual fans, and hardcore fans into the theatres, assuming it's done well.

The fact that we have about 30 super hard-core fans on here making their opinions heard pro or con, while fun to read, can hardly be considered representative of the broader public opinion.  There were legions of people disappointed with Alien 3 and that is why nobody really has any high expectations from alien films anymore.  Blomkamp's idea represents a means to set things right.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 31, 2016, 06:24:26 AM... James Cameron's masterpiece.

... Aliens represented the pinnacle of Science Fiction film achievement.

Wouldn't recommend going around calling people "Alien3 fanboys" while also saying things like the above.

windebieste

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 31, 2016, 06:24:26 AM... James Cameron's masterpiece.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 31, 2016, 11:38:19 AM

Wouldn't recommend going around calling people "Alien3 fanboys" while also saying things like the above.

Let's refrain from using fanboy as an insult. We're all fans here. Alien just has a bit of an eclectic spread of genres and fans.

Novak 1334

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 31, 2016, 11:56:04 AM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 31, 2016, 11:38:19 AM

Let's refrain from using fanboy as an insult. We're all fans here. Alien just has a bit of an eclectic spread of genres and fans.

You can't use that word... That's OUR word

Corporal Hicks

Just don't use it as if you're spitting it with venom.  :laugh:

Novak 1334

I've never understood 'fanboy' as an insult

g2vd

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 31, 2016, 06:24:26 AMOh no you didn't!!!
Oh yes I did that Bull will Steer into you're Soul.

Quotebecause Aliens represented the pinnacle of Science Fiction film achievement
...What about 2001, 2010, Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Blade Runner, Dune, Forbidden Planet, District 9, Total Recall, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Solaris, ET, Plan 9, Titan A.E, The Last Starfighter anything

Aliens is a absolutely fantastic movie but THE pinnacle of Space Sci-fi....yeah no.

QuoteThe fact that we have about 30 super hard-core fans on here making their opinions heard pro or con, while fun to read, can hardly be considered representative of the broader public opinion.
Indeed you are right about that...I wonder could it be possible to add a second poll on the Main Site that has the same choices as the poll I made here on the forum? that way anybody that comes here could easily vote without needing to make a account, and the forum poll can still stay as a way to gauge how many people here that have accounts want or do not want Aliens 2.

QuoteThere were legions of people disappointed with Alien 3
There you go again with the gauging of the population with no numbers to support it. sure one can say that quite a lot of people didn't like Alien 3 when it first released which is true. but over time their opinions have softened on that movie and many have probably gone on to like the movie, once they let go of their preconceived notions on what Alien 3 should have been like and realized the quality of the actual movie.

Quoteand that is why nobody really has any high expectations from alien films anymore.  Blomkamp's idea represents a means to set things right.
I think those people are more distraught over the quality of the AVP films than they are A3.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Aug 31, 2016, 12:13:59 PM
I've never understood 'fanboy' as an insult

I have, but I've only seen it used as an insult to people who are a fan of something and don't admit its flaws when they're pointed out.
I completely embrace the fact that I'm an Aliens fanboy, and that's why I'm for Blomkamps film.

I'd be fine if it took place with completely different characters and still had the USCM, the movie would probably be getting less flak from people here if that were the case. I do think Hicks and Newt were killed off very unceremoniously, and it should have been done better, but I don't need them back.
I also don't need Ripley back. I liked Ripley in Alien and Aliens, but I don't need her back. I'd like the torch to be passed to other characters, and have a movie that's kind of a "spiritual" successor to Aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed