Charles Bishop & Peter: two sides of the same character

Started by Oasis Nadrama, Feb 03, 2019, 01:01:35 AM

Author
Charles Bishop & Peter: two sides of the same character (Read 5,932 times)

Frosty Venom

Just because something is bad doesn't make it inaccurate.

As I said to present a false narrative that paints a more positive image of the company.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 03, 2019, 02:09:51 PM
Just because something is bad doesn't make it inaccurate.
I didn't say that.

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 03, 2019, 02:09:51 PM
As I said to present a false narrative that paints a more positive image of the company.
How does it paint a more positive image?
Why?

Samhain13

Samhain13

The WY Report doesn't mention the events on Defiance, Resistance or Cold Forge. It says the Hadley Hope event was the third encounter with the creatures, the first being ALIEN and second being Isolation. Does that mean those aren't canon? It was bound to happen, the following entries will eventually contradict WY Report. That's the fate of all EU. WY Report is no different than any other EU material, it will not be considered during the development of the next stuff.

Frosty Venom

Because that false narrative presents Peter Weyland as the founder who built the company from nothing. Instead of already having the assets acquired from his father. Also having Weyland Corp buy out Yutani Corp (when it is in fact the opposite) continues to build this legendary image around Weyland and the company.

The Old One

The Old One

But then, as I think I've said before- that would be pointless because W-Y doesn't control public record.

We know they don't because Seegson still exists by the time of TCF, so they have competitors.

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2019, 11:49:22 AM
Quote from: TurokSwe on Feb 03, 2019, 11:47:45 AM
Assuming the death of Charles had a detrimental effect on his company and Peter wanted to rejuvenate and take the company in his own direction.
Why would he need to found a new company? Charles says himself his death will barely affect share prices.

I mean it may negatively affect the company in different and perhaps unforeseen ways, depending upon what positive effects Charles may have had upon the company while still alive as well what difficulties may have arisen along the way after his death, if only in regards to him as a major driving force and visionary for the company (a spot which Peter would of course be set up to fill later on).

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 03, 2019, 12:14:46 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2019, 12:12:29 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 03, 2019, 12:11:33 PM
Maybe Weyland Industries' name was tainted by the death of Charles and the failed expedition.
And then collapsed? Was bought out? What?

QuoteMaybe Peter Weyland put the company under himself so he was free to rule over his own corporation with no legal bindings to previous members of Weyland Industries.
Why is this never mentioned anywhere, ever?

Perhaps collapsed, perhaps bought out. That's good imagination! You're getting the hang of it.

Why and where would this ever be mentioned? Maybe it will be in AVP3.

You know I have actually been working on a concept for AVP3 (and AVP4) which would answer such questions, even though such a project would of course hardly be picked up by Fox but at least I can dream. ^^

The Cruentus

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 03, 2019, 01:25:06 AM
I agree. And I get the exact same feeling from the similarities: "To think they resort to copying stuff from a movie like AVP". This is so ridiculous. I mean, AVP. The thing which screamed "cheap direct-to-video" even with a millions-dollar budget on a theater screen.

Funny thing is, for all of Ridley's disdain for AVP, his take on the Alien life-cycle was not only the same but even worse when you count Lope. David creating the Alien might be even more unpopular than the superfast lifecylce or aliens on earth in AVP.

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 03, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 03, 2019, 11:54:30 AM
Let it go guys or this thread will be locked too.

I'm a bit confused as to why they were locked when people were discussing the topic at hand. Yes they were getting passionate and the discussion was starting to go in circles but c'mon.

Because insults started to happen and everything was going in a circle.

I liked Charles, it was good to see a sympthetic take on Weyland and the compnay for a change.

The Old One

The Old One

The Alien lifecycle being that fast isn't an incongruity though, no matter how unpopular.

And no, I'll take David being the definitive creator over the Alien on Earth in 2004.

The Cruentus

I said it might be more unpopular, meaning not certainly.  :P Obviously it has its fans, but Ii'm betting a lot of folk on here dislike it.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Wasn't there a poll about it when Covenant came out? The dislike was up there I think.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 03, 2019, 08:30:31 PM
Wasn't there a poll about it when Covenant came out? The dislike was up there I think.
Yeah it was overwhelmingly disliked.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 03, 2019, 08:20:55 PM
The Alien lifecycle being that fast isn't an incongruity though, no matter how unpopular.

And no, I'll take David being the definitive creator over the Alien on Earth in 2004.
Definitely disagree there.

Also it's a pretty reasonable incongruity given what we see in the other movies, where it takes more than 3 minutes for someone to get facehugged and produce an Alien. Like, it was jarring enough that people readily picked up on it.

The Old One

The Old One

Well, here's a couple things- it's a very different scenario what we see in Alien, because it's simultaneously protecting Kane from the atmosphere of LV-426 as well as performing it's basic function (After a long, long nap). Aliens- we don't see anyone Facehugged, no barometer whatsoever except for a company log claiming  someone died prior to embryo plantation. It doesn't take that long in AlienĀ³ for Ripley or the Ox/Dog.
Something I feel people overlook regarding Covenant is, despite the way it's edited- it's night time when the Facehugger gets Oram but then morning when we see the full grown Alien, similarly we don't know how much time passes between them relaxing on the Covenant and Oram's chestburst- long enough for Daniels to fall asleep anyway.

So, no it's not the same as AVP 2004- because AVP 2004 had microwave chestbursters, Covenant has no such thing. What Covenant instead says by contrast between Oram and Lope, is that the Facehugger may have a myriad of reasons for staying onboard but it doesn't necessarily need to.

Frosty Venom

But also the chestbursting of Oram happens right after he awakens.

And the facehugger barely properly facehuggers Lope. You can still hear him screaming.

I put the differences in the lifecycle down to it being David's Planet 4 strain of Xenomorphs though.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 04, 2019, 09:34:38 AM
But also the chestbursting of Oram happens right after he awakens.

So? Why's that a problem?
Are you saying if someone sleeps through most of the day/night they can avoid being chestbursted?

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 04, 2019, 09:34:38 AM
And the facehugger barely properly facehuggers Lope. You can still hear him screaming.

So? I already outlined why this isn't a problem.

SM

Screaming is going to make it easier for the hugger.  And the Hadley colonist burst right after she woke up too and she'd been there quite some time.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 04, 2019, 09:25:14 AM
Well, here's a couple things- it's a very different scenario what we see in Alien, because it's simultaneously protecting Kane from the atmosphere of LV-426 as well as performing it's basic function (After a long, long nap). Aliens- we don't see anyone Facehugged, no barometer whatsoever except for a company log claiming  someone died prior to embryo plantation. It doesn't take that long in AlienĀ³ for Ripley or the Ox/Dog.
Something I feel people overlook regarding Covenant is, despite the way it's edited- it's night time when the Facehugger gets Oram but then morning when we see the full grown Alien, similarly we don't know how much time passes between them relaxing on the Covenant and Oram's chestburst- long enough for Daniels to fall asleep anyway.

So, no it's not the same as AVP 2004- because AVP 2004 had microwave chestbursters, Covenant has no such thing. What Covenant instead says by contrast between Oram and Lope, is that the Facehugger may have a myriad of reasons for staying onboard but it doesn't necessarily need to.

The Alien 3 gestation for Spike is on a par with Kane (how long the hugger was attached, harder to say).

We do have some idea in regards to Oram and Lope due to the planets rotation (about 7 hours 20 minutes), axial tilt, and Mother being offline for up to 4 hours.  However, there's enough room in those numbers to account for gestation in terms of hours rather than the sub-10 minutes of AvP, and less than that again to grow to full size.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed