Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Sep 27, 2014, 12:50:11 AM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 111,223 times)

robbritton

robbritton

I haven't had one death I'd call cheap, yet. The Alien obeys it's own rules as far as I've seen, and everytime i've died it's been either my fault for not being quiet enough, or my misfortune to walk into the wrong room. I like that, I'm loving how I cannot account for it and where it will be. That is what the Alien is all about to me. And I haven't been this exhilarated by anything to do with this franchise since I first saw Aliens in 1990. That's including the Trocadero Alien War when they still had the smoke generators! Genuine, pulse pounding, FEAR. Magnificent.

Seegson

Seegson

Me too. All my deaths are related to my own mistakes or bad fortune (random is random). When its going away from me i can perfectly see it in the motion tracker...and the same when its closing the gap...some times i cant predict where is gonna "take down" just hearing the noise when he is using the vents

The station is amazing, what a hell of a place...iconic, huge, and dark...veeery dark.

The human npc are more competent in mission 6 and beyond..
and do more random stuff. Sometimes i heard their conversation and know they are evil...but at some point  a group was talking about...dunno..."good stuff", but i miss the chance to meet them, the alien was too close

Anyone has met random cooperative human npc?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I have just finished the game...Holy. f**k. That was so intense. Need sometime to calm down, gather my thoughts and then get the review written. But I have never had such a good experience playing an Alien game.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Not even mid point in the game, but I love it. Would probably give it an 8-8.5 out of 10. Sadly, some clowns on this board spoiled stuff for me and didn't use tags, but w/e.

My only gripe is that the alien does get some cheap kills in there, but besides that, I like the alien and how menacing it is.

szkoki

szkoki

i dunno what u guys are doing but im always tracking it with the motion detector, so... never had any weird moments. ofcourse it dissapears sometimes when its in the vents and the signal pops up somewhere else but its like in the movies. though never teleported from room to room. doesnt even need to, the vents is it's legal way to "cheat and to load itself anywhere"

Taxemic

Taxemic

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Oct 08, 2014, 09:24:18 PM
Not even mid point in the game, but I love it. Would probably give it an 8-8.5 out of 10. Sadly, some clowns on this board spoiled stuff for me and didn't use tags, but w/e.

My only gripe is that the alien does get some cheap kills in there, but besides that, I like the alien and how menacing it is.

soz if i'm one of the clowns. wrote a minor spoiler earlier and somehow put a line through it instead of tagging it like a noob. i corrected almost immediatley though.

MR EL1M1NATOR

MR EL1M1NATOR

I do use the tracker, i've had situations where I have seen it right in front of me go through a door, I leave my hiding place and it's now behind me. Hopefully they will patch it or something.

DB

DB

This one is good, boys.

Only played it on Hard and I enjoy how the game doesn't f**k around. If the Alien sees you, you die, which is how God intended it to be. The Alien doesn't give a f**k, except maybe about fire. The title deserves points just for being a game in which you really do want to hide from the Alien, unlike other games where the Aliens should be the ones hiding from you.

I have experience with horror games, and although I don't think the game makes you shit your pants in sheer terror, this game delivers fun in spades. It makes you not want to move forward and makes you dread the Alien's appearance. When you know the Alien is running around nearby in vents you crouch walk all day like a baby and you pray that when you turn a corner you won't find anything casually spotting you in its path, otherwise Big Daddy might know about it and deliver a rektening.

The vast majority of recent "horror" games are anything but horror games. Dead Space was an action/survival game with ketchup splattered on walls and faulty lighting. RE5-6 are just action games. Other titles are just endless scripted events, where you can easily tell when you are completely safe and when you aren't. Even Amnesia, as much as I liked it, has plenty of scripted monster appearances, and for the most part it is also easy to know that a large portion of the time you actually aren't under any danger. Slender was one of the few games that I think nailed the idea of how make a player uncomfortable. There is no safety. The monster is always there, forever following you, and any and every mistake is swiftly punished by death. This game has learned that lesson. Yes, there are segments in the game where you can be reasonably sure you are safe, but whenever the Alien is around, you aren't safe. Even in areas where I thought I would be protected by plot and cutscene, I wasn't. The Alien is an eternal shadow that you can't shake. Its presence dominates every area where it's in, because you know it is always listening. It does whatever the hell it wants, it can be anywhere it wants to be at any moment, at anytime. Fool! Doctor Doom does as he pleases!

Crawl into a vent to move around the corridor unnoticed? Cool. Watch as the Alien randomly decides to run into the same vent for shits and giggles. Run into a locker, wait for the Alien to leave and vanish from the sensor. Walk out. Crouch into corridor. Alien forgets its purse and runs back at 150 mph. Dead. Save points aren't safe, reading computers isn't safe, going into an elevator just about to push the button to reach the next loading screen isn't safe, nothing is. Which is good. The scary monster dominates the player's mind and the entire experience, which is how it should be. A game isn't scary if you don't dread each and every encounter with the monster, something that so many recent games fail to understand. I still roll my eyes at the thought that there was a Silent Hill game where you kung fu fight the monsters. I exaggerate, I think you had a knife. You knife-fu'd them.

There are other positives to the game, the game world is designed intelligently, with upgrades letting you explore previously closed off areas, and despite being all corridors the maps still look much more advanced than what has become an epidemic of games where you just walk in a straight line forever and pop moles (like A:CM). It might not be System Shock 2 but it is more than acceptable, although it is a pretty linear experience. The atmosphere is very well done, it looks and feels like a game that takes place in the universe of Alien. Sounds like it too. Except a few of the Alien growls, which are AvP space dog noises. Strangely enough, as much as the Alien and its interactions with the player are well done and really cement the game as one where you should be scared of it, it feels more like the kitchen scene from Jurassic Park than anything else I could describe as Alien. It is strange. Doesn't matter, Space Velociraptor is better than being a boring nonthreat that isn't even fun to shoot, as in the previous outings.

The game isn't perfect. There's a long stint at one point where there is no Alien, which sucks, because the Alien is the best enemy in the game. Androids and humans are stupid, blind and deaf. The Alien is just blind, not deaf. This is par for the course in most stealth based games, but it still has to mentioned. You can hide under tables despite the fact that your feet would be clearly and obviously visible. This is stealth like how Shia Lebouf "sneaked" into that one building in the third Transformers movie. There is literally no way anybody would be fooled by like half the shit you do in this game, let alone an Alien, whose supposed to be an apex predator but is less aware of his environment than a house hold cat. For real. Have you ever managed to hide from your cat? I haven't. Those guys can f**king find mice. My cat kills mice all the time, despite the fact that I've literally never laid eyes on one running around my home. Wtf.

The Aliens in other games can see through walls but fold like paper when hit by an elbow, the Alien in this game has a crippling lack of eyes but is bullet proof. A good trade, I guess. They could have made it so the Alien walked on walls and ceilings instead of always velociraptoring around but it's all good.

Also there are some segments where all you do is walk forward and listen to people talking and you can't seem to skip this shit. f**k.

Even on Hard, I found that I had way too much shit and way too much ammo. Your mileage may vary, I guess. Once you get the flamethrower the Alien loses a bit too much potency, I think.

The ending is shit. "plz buy dlc thx"

The game doesn't look like it will have much replay value, as much fun as being chased by an Alien is, I don't think it can keep the game going for too long. That said, the game actually has a fair greater amount of content than the now typical 9 hour shit show in most games.

TL;DR

10/10 GOTY i crie everitiem Goes great with Doritos and Dew, which Sega forgot to send to IGN along with the review copy.

Anita loved the game and recommended it to everyone, saying: "A beautiful story where a liberated feminist overcomes the literal phallus seeking to oppress her with his unchecked privilege, narrowly avoiding being raped by the endless hordes of mysogeekneenerds that hide in their cocoons, deep within their mother's basement."

I think this is the best Alien game to date. In fact, I go so far as to say that this easily outclasses most recent horror games. I would say it combines elements from several successful horror titles to create something greater than the sum of its parts. I actually enjoyed this more than I did Amnesia. Sure, it isn't perfect and it is far from it, but it is legit good. The people who made this game didn't only have an understanding of how to make a survival/horror game, but they also had an understanding of how to make something Alien. They had something, something that Gearbox clearly didn't f**king have, and that Rebellion lost somewhere along the way. They saw Alien. Not just the movie, although I think Gearbox might have not seen it, but they really saw it. They breathed Alien. They saw that there were things at play that make something feel Alien and they put a good deal of it in the game. Maybe not all, this is true, but much, much more than I think almost every other effort has up to this point.

WYcoMaNDo92

WYcoMaNDo92

This series means a lot to me. so when I say that this made me the happiest person in the world, it really means there is one human in the world that is happiest among all others. as soon as i woke up out of the cryo sleep pod I knew they had nailed this. my friends and I in NY have been playing this since day 1 and our throats hurt from screaming. my dad came into the house after cutting wood, "i can hear you guys screaming over the sound of the chainsaw." win. Im stuck on the level when you use a seegson droid to help find a compression cylinder. I just hope the story gets better, I'm hoping for Amanda to connect with her lost mother in some sort of super human moment in the game. if i get that moment I will remain the happiest human in the world :)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: DB on Oct 10, 2014, 01:03:50 AM
If the Alien sees you, you die, which is how God intended it to be.

QFT.

ikarop

ikarop

Just finished the main game. It took me around 16 hours on hard mode.

The story is great, it feels like the game is about to end a few times but it just keeps going. The forced backtracking felt natural and fluid, not repetitive which was a nice surprise. It made the station felt more real. The AI is very impressive and visually it's just one of the best looking games I've played. Overall I think this is the best Alien game to date.

If I had to complain about something, it'd be some minor bits about the story that didn't make much sense to me:

Spoiler
Bits like the "trap" that someone sets up early in the game. The Alien is about to get you, the bomb goes off and you black out. All out of the blue. You just spot the Alien later as if nothing had happened so it felt unnecessary.

There's also this one facehugger that appears aboard the Anisidora completely out of the blue. Not sure what it was doing there or what non-cheap explanation would there be for it to be there. All of the sudden there are facehuggers everywhere?

The way in which they link the whole Samuels-Apollo story with Ripley's felt forced too. You know he's been wandering around the station from the moment you first get to the Marshals' HQ but yet nothing happens until Samuels and Ripley cross paths.

There were a couple more moments like this which I can't remember now but none of these ruined the experience for me in any way so I guess they are fine.

Also I don't like cliffhanger endings so I didn't quite enjoy how the game ended. I was wondering if Amanda got impregnated tho as they seemed to point that way. If you don't move back during the final scene the alien kills you so I assume that's my answer.
[close]

Also the fact that despite being lead into thinking that there would be false beeps, the MT doesn't really show any. I'd love a Nightmare mode where the MT accounted for most things.

Darkness

Darkness

What score would you give it?

Did you suffer lots of cheap deaths?

ikarop

ikarop

I think 4/5 and no. I died a lot tho, I got the 100 deaths achievement towards the end of the game but the only cheap deaths I suffered were...

Spoiler
From facehuggers. I found it really cheap that they showed up out if the blue at random places when they never do early on. Once I literally opened a locked door and it just killed me. No fair sound warning or anything.
[close]

Darkness

Darkness

Depends what you consider cheap. Every death I suffered was cheap in my book.

I've been watching a lot of streams on Twitch this week and it does seem I had a much harder time of it than other people. The alien always seemed to be in my way whereas for other people, it wasn't even there.

ikarop

ikarop

I think it depends on whether you have lured it previously to the nearest area. Otherwise it stays mostly in the vents and won't even come down to investigate until it's scripted or you run. I spent most of my time crouching so plenty of times it was just peaceful walks for me and then one room where I die 20 times.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed