About The Kid, The Language and The Ship

Started by overthere, Mar 04, 2017, 11:43:19 AM

Author
About The Kid, The Language and The Ship (Read 2,958 times)

overthere

I've just now written about it in the "leaked script" topic, but I think this deserves its own thread. Hear me out on this one.

Most of you here have a problem with the idea of an autistic kid deciphering Predator language and flying their ship. But everything about this is misunderstood.

Anyone gifted with intelligence above their peers is weird, awkward and unaccepted. Especially with kids. This kid in the movie may not be literally autistic, just gifted and more intelligent than his peers in a way that makes him disliked among other kids. Nothing far fetched about it, anyone who shows superiority is disliked in the eyes of the group. A common human reaction.

OK, so now we have a highly intelligent kid deciphering alien language and flying their ship. Still a problem, right?

But you're missing an important fact, and that's that the kid got his hands on a piece of equipment nobody else has. If this kid could do it, an average adult could do it, especially scientists, if ONLY they got their hands on this. Predators self destruct when they know they're done to destroy any evidence of them precisely because of this, they know it could be deciphered. That piece of equipment is so important that it's the main plot of the movie. So the kid just has to be as intelligent as an adult in order to decipher the language. And keep in mind the kid probably won't learn the entire Predator language, just enough to figure out what options the device he's holding has. It's probably going to be a lot of trial and error learning curve, so there's a lot of cool scenes to be explored there.

English is not my native language, and I remember as a kid when I could barely read and write, playing around on the computer all day, I learned a lot of specific words like "cancel, next, continue, install" etc, because those words often repeated. If you see a pattern on an alien device and click it enough times, you'll figure out what it means.
"oh but this is alien language, not human language, it shouldn't be that easy" ... says who? Just because it's alien doesn't mean it's difficult, if we accept the evolution of their language occurred in a similar fashion to ours. Concepts, ideas and symbols don't have to be unrecognizable in alien language. Or it just so happens the Predators have a fairly simple language. Nothing unbelievable there.

As for the kid flying their spaceship...The purpose of all technology is to make difficult tasks easy. The more advanced the technology is, the easier it is for the end user. I've used this example in that topic, an average child, and I've seen children who are 4 years old, navigate through your smartphone, open up Youtube and pick their favorite cartoon without even learning to read and write first. Or grab a drone and fly it. Technology as developed as Predator's could literally mean they have a "fly here, land, open doors" buttons easily understood for anyone.

I hope if you've read this you can see all this is not that far fetched at all, and for a movie about an alien who hunts humans, it's just plausible enough to fit into the world already created.

Not to mention that Predator's arm wrist computer seems to connect with the helmet an it's basically automatic. The kid doesn't even have to learn much, it could tap into his brain and do the translation for him.

Bottom line, all this is perfectly plausible for a Predator movie and can be executed in very interesting ways. But even if it sucks, we know for sure we'll see the Predator kill and rip spines out, so we're covered.

SiL

A smartphone is a very different thing to a space shuttle and trying to say they're the least bit similar in terms of ease of use is really, really pushing it.

overthere

Relatively soon we'll have cars that drive themselves wherever you want with a push of a button. You think a kid won't be able to type in a direction?

The Alien Predator

I wonder how the kid would fly the ship, even if technology makes things easier, the Predator's ship could be password protected.

Like how they have to tap buttons on their wrist computer to activate their bomb, as if typing a password, like how an Xbox controller has "button passwords" that you press in a particular order.

I wonder if their ships have something like that because I doubt one could just walk in, sit on the chair and tap some buttons.

They could try hacking it, but then how is that going to work? It'd be like someone using a Windows 98 computer to hack a Windows 10 computer. I admit I'm not too knowledgeable in that field, but hopefully my analogy made sense.  :laugh:

SiL does have a point, while Smartphones can be easy to use, it doesn't mean any of us here can sit on NASA's Space Shuttle and fly it. That would require some training.

I know that you said Predator technology is highly advanced and is probably 99% automated anyway, but I'd expect them to have some kind of security measures that would prevent others from stealing it. It's like leaving your car parked with unlocked doors and keys still inside, so anyone, even a kid can just get in and drive it.

And them being advanced aliens, would probably have super complex security measures.

Sit on pilot chair? Instantly body scanned and recognised as an alien, ship shuts down and sends distress signal.

Wearing the helmet? Place hands on console please. Skin scanned and recognised as foreign material, ship shuts down and sends distress signal.

In fact, using your Smartphone example as an example, some are password protected and if a kid figures it out, some are finger print protected.

overthere

I assumed the kid is going to remotely control the ship, not sit in the chair inside it.

But all this depends on the circumstances set in the movie. We don't know, let's just wait and see.

The Alien Predator

I think the remote would also probably ask for some confirmation from the kid that he's the owner.

Maybe a series of Predator clicks.  :laugh:

But let's wait and see, I am quite excited for this movie and seeing how it turns out.

SiL

Quote from: overthere on Mar 04, 2017, 12:53:22 PM
Relatively soon we'll have cars that drive themselves wherever you want with a push of a button. You think a kid won't be able to type in a direction?
You keep going for examples that are much, much simpler than a flying vehicle, let alone an interstellar one.

overthere

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2017, 01:22:10 PM

You keep going for examples that are much, much simpler than a flying vehicle, let alone an interstellar one.

You keep thinking an alien's intergalactical vehicle would necessarily have to be a complicated one to fly, just because we, humans, are currently in a period where a self driving car is considered extremely complicated. You do know they'll eventually become common, simple, easy to use things? A spaceship could be just as simple. You think an alien who's hobby is to kill humans goes through college first on how to fly a ship?

SiL

I was writing something about crew members, then remembered Predators literally showed a predator typing coordinates and hitting a few buttons to fly the ship to another planet.

So you've got that point.

But I still think it's a dumb idea for a scene in an adult action horror franchise.

Personal preference and all that.

Keith

I guess some people want dumb, silly, asinine things in their Predator movies SiL  :-\

Predator_Spirit

You dont get it.We dont care if its plausible or not.This kid sucks.Period.

overthere

We haven't seen that kid, we don't know what his role in this is, we don't know how all of it will be translated into actual movie, we don't know if the leaked script details are true.

Let's wait for some actual details, teaser, trailer, movie.

Praetorian Guard

I just hope the kid isn't part of the main focus of the movie, where the humans and predators are gonna fight for the kid, because he has a piece of predator tech.

Infected

So they gonna pick up Royce with that ship?

Predator_Spirit

Quote from: overthere on Mar 04, 2017, 02:09:25 PM
We haven't seen that kid, we don't know what his role in this is, we don't know how all of it will be translated into actual movie, we don't know if the leaked script details are true.

Let's wait for some actual details, teaser, trailer, movie.

Maybe you don't but I do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed