'The Predator' Does Not Take Place in the Suburbs

Started by goose_3387, Nov 06, 2016, 07:03:38 AM

Author
'The Predator' Does Not Take Place in the Suburbs (Read 13,869 times)

Jar-Jar Binks

AREA 51 would be my ideal setting. They could use the Roswell New Mexico UFO crash of 1947. As well. It is also near the Navada Nuclear Test Site... Maybe this is where the group of special ops from Predator 2 our from and working for.

jim

i agree with the predator observing the fighting in the middle east, then jumping in and going on a brutal hunting spree and hunting both sides in the opening sequence,  then moving the story with one or a few of the soldiers elsewhere...like have it track the ones who escaped to another part of the world.

Feeds On Minds

There's an obvious location that no one has yet mentioned...Mexico.  The brutal cartels battling the military would be more than enticing for a Predator.  Not only that; but there's both citiy and jungle terrain to hunt in.

Master

Good point, but we already had gangers vs cops in urban setting. Recreating P2 is no better then recreating P1 ( looking at you Ps).

Ectomorph

There seems to be a recent trend in horror movies that set the films in this 'upper middle class' paradise with swimming pools, big spacious homes, lots of technology. I'm getting pretty bored of that approach.

Predator works well in an environment that is a complete unknown for both the characters and the audience - that's why I think the first Predator's setting of a fictional country is so ingenious. It's both a familiar scenario and a foreign 'unknown' at the same time. Predator 2 deals with this too by including that weird Jamaican crime syndicate. It's so jarring that it actually makes  Los Angeles seem less like the City of Angels and more like a mystic urban dystopia.

I really hope Shane Black can find a new location that invokes the same sense of mystery. These 'suburban' rumors had me worried, so I'm glad they got shot down.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed