Yes
13 (20.6%)
No
23 (36.5%)
Don't really care
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author
Female protagonist in the next Predator movie (Read 11,670 times)

blood.

blood.

A human male or female will never match a predator physically, their key to victory is wit, strategy etc and a good lead can convincingly utilise these skills regardless of gender.

What I would prefer to see is someone who has the confidence and resourcefullness to convincingly take on a predator from the start rather then uncover these hidden traits out of necessity later in the movie. A predator should not be taken out by a cornered survivor but a hardened battle tested warrior imo.

SM

So just copy the first film?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 13, 2014, 08:50:03 PM
Honestly, aside from Ripley, most female heroines are annoying in alien movies.

That's usually because they're being written by guys who interpret them as prone-to-being-scared, less physically capable men.

Buffy Summers? Vast improvement in her television show incarnation. Sarah Connor? Absolutely. We could also say Jamie Lee Curtis in 'Virus' and so on. None of them are annoying when they're written/interpreted well - just like a male character.

QuoteIt just seems so contrived. Predators did make it believable but there still was a man in the lead.

And the way she was paralysed to effectively remove her from taking part in the action was, well... Contrived, yes?

Personally, I liked 'Predators', but it seems odd to complain about that and then use an example of it. :)

QuoteThat being said, I think it is about time they put a female predator on scene. Surely they exist right?

How do you know the ones we've already seen aren't all female - or that they even have more than one gender?

whiterabbit

All good points Xenomorphine. So the solution to all of our problems is simple, a female director is what's needed. :)

SM

No wimminz in mah muscle men movies!!11!

whiterabbit

There hasn't been much muscles in movies since the 80's.

SM

Dis neez to get bck to da rootz - no chickz aloud lol

Russ

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 29, 2014, 03:49:10 AM
All good points Xenomorphine. So the solution to all of our problems is simple, a female director is what's needed. :)

Lexi Alexander?

HuDaFuK

You can't really win. Have a man and it's the same as what's come before, have a woman and it'll probably feel like you're having a woman just for the sake of it.

whiterabbit

You know what guys, I'm not even going to try and lie. I don't even know a single female director. I know that they exist but could not name a single one.

No, the idea of having a female director is that if you are going to go with a female lead perhaps a female director could make it actually work better than most dudes can.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 29, 2014, 11:18:17 AMNo, the idea of having a female director is that if you are going to go with a female lead perhaps a female director could make it actually work better than most dudes can.

No it isn't. Kathryn Bigelow made Point Break. That has an almost entirely male cast.

Aliens was made by a bloke and has an incredibly strong female lead character.

If the director's good and in touch with the production it does't matter what sex they are.

whiterabbit

I said most. :P

Joking aside it was just a suggestion.

HuDaFuK

True, but I'm pretty happy with Shane Black!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 29, 2014, 11:18:17 AM
You know what guys, I'm not even going to try and lie. I don't even know a single female director. I know that they exist but could not name a single one.

How about Lana Wachowski white rabbit:laugh:

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 29, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
You can't really win. Have a man and it's the same as what's come before, have a woman and it'll probably feel like you're having a woman just for the sake of it.

That's like homosexual and ethnic minority characters, though.

I remember the writers of that 'Battlestar Galactica' remake kept protesting that they couldn't have a gay character, because they felt obligated to write the entire episode's story revolving around one, if they did. I just kind of sighed and shook my head, back when I read that, because I thought the obvious solution was to simply include the character and not make a big deal about it. Just mention their sexuality in a casual way - if at all.

Then, later, they made 'Razor' and did exactly that: A casual demonstration, almost blink-and-you-miss-it, which didn't intrude much at all on the story.

Actually, it's worth remembering that Ripley, in 'Alien', was originally written as a male character. To the viewer, her gender is almost irrelevant in the first film. It's probably that the Alien is typically represented as skeletal, while the Predator is usually portrayed as muscular, which plays into most viewers' expectations, but both creatures are fully capable of tearing a grown man to pieces. If a woman can repeatedly face off against the Alien, then a woman can face off against a Predator, too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed