Should Predator 4 plot be in the jungle or in the city.

Started by Alien Jockey, May 14, 2013, 03:20:59 AM

Author
Should Predator 4 plot be in the jungle or in the city. (Read 137,602 times)

Master

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 25, 2013, 03:11:05 PM
Personally, I would love to see a predator film in the desert.
The topography would make it easier to blend in to the landscape (though footprints would be a dead giveaway) and the warping effects of the heat would make the cloaking device harder to spot.
Horror films that take advantage of a desolate location are often very effective, such is the case with The Thing. It creates a greater feeling of isolation and demands the characters become more self reliant. To top it off, they have far less options as to where to go.
Perhaps an isolated military outpost.

Yeah, been saying it for years, next environment that we haven`t seen and which fits Predators hunting ground (heat and conflict) is desert. There are more then plenty scenarios involving desert setting. Also many possible desert locations can make it even more interesting.

Quote from: Liberator on Jun 25, 2013, 03:15:56 PM
A city is a terrible setting.

Why?

Terx2

The topography would make it easier to blend in to the landscape (though footprints would be a dead giveaway) and the warping effects of the heat would make the cloaking device harder to spot.
Horror films that take advantage of a desolate location are often very effective, such is the case with The Thing. It creates a greater feeling of isolation and demands the characters become more self reliant. To top it off, they have far less options as to where to go.

Sand storms can brush away the footprints :P But yeah desert could work out great. Conflict between two groups one of which hasn't adapted to the environment and a predator hunt those who are fair game. Could work really well :)

FiorinaFury161

Set P4 in the PAST when the humans die off save one and the Predator Elder gets the old pistol given from P2.

Or a desert war zone would be a good second option. ;)

Terx2

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jun 26, 2013, 03:26:06 AM
Set P4 in the PAST when the humans die off save one and the Predator Elder gets the old pistol given from P2.

Or a desert war zone would be a good second option. ;)

So a pirate predator film :-\ (If memory serves me right the elder got it off a pirate he killed)

FiorinaFury161

Predator of the Caribbean: The Death Of Jack Sparrow ;)

Liberator

@Master:

A city is a terrible idea because the predator can't use his incendiary device there without killing noncombatants.  That, over and above it being the wrong style to be consistent with the original movie.  At the end of Predator 2, the predator was going to use his device, whereas he wouldn't kill unarmed people or children?  They want to use it to avoid their body's and their equipment's recovery by the indigenous people on the planet they're hunting on, or to eliminate xenomorphs before they spread.

I'd also say a city is a terrible idea because there are just way too many people who can get in the way, and too many people who might notice the predator.  And there are too many objects in the way all over, including cars and buildings, and the predator's discovery would quickly become a publicized event, and the predators want to keep their presence a secret.

worldpeace

jim and john thomas original  predator 2 script put arnold in times square in an empty times square do to a blizzard fighting a predator . i think a run down detroit  but more dead and over grown could be neat. an empty post war city

BonesawT101

I've always had this idea about a predator movie set during the Vietnam war, The marines were already fighting an unseen enemy in that war, could be very interesting if it was played out seriously.

or possibly set it during world war 2.

I have to say, really like that desert idea.
Imagine a Predator movie set in, lets say, Afghanistan.

worldpeace

a predator movie taking place in every major  war for the last 100 years. one predator in all that time.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: worldpeace on Jul 04, 2013, 09:00:30 AM
a predator movie taking place in every major  war for the last 100 years. one predator in all that time.

Would be very hard to have a set of characters in that case...

Aspie

Make the next film based of Predator: Concrete Jungle.

pls.

Nightmare Asylum

Meh, we already had a concrete jungle in Predator 2.

I'm a big fan of the desert idea. I also wouldn't mind a space setting; either a spaceship or an alien environment visually different from Earth.

shadowedge

Quote from: Master on Jun 24, 2013, 07:15:27 PM
MeTroll? Hardly  :D Sorry but I`m tired when some new kid on the block appears here and hit with ideas I`ve heard so many times and that are completly missed. It`s not about you in person.

Film with no human gives no dialogue no attachment to character and all in all it`s one big gore feast. Nothing you could possibly call a good film.

Quote from: worldpeace on Jun 23, 2013, 10:50:17 AM
4 separate predators 4 separate environments 8 or more weapons 4 or more different hunting/ killing /fighting styles  at least four species  being hunted.

And this. Sorry but :

And we`ve got one shitty underdeveloped film. Bravo!

I don't know. You can still get attached to the Predators or their non human prey. They are "human" enough that we can emphasize with them.

Look at how many people here are attached to Dachande. The book gave him and the other Predators in the book plently of human traits like a complex language, inner monologue, a whole society, and made them feel like a real humanoid advanced species. he movies do not do the inner monologue part all that well. The movies basically show them as an intelligent slasher villain.

TheMonolith

A monster is only as fascinating as its foe.
How impressive would it really be to see a predator slice and dice through a series of faceless drones, inner monologue or no? What does the audience gain? There is no suspense, no dread, no sense of loss, no sense of accomplishment. All you are left with is a montage of grisly death scenes peppered with voice over narration.
Could a predator be made into a relatable character? Perhaps, but it would take a lot to make it work to be done right, and a sense of accomplishment at defeating their foe would be one such quality. How do you instill such a quality? You flesh out the quarry to make it not a something, but a someone. Without that, you are left with
"The predator killed...that guy whose name I don't know. But he wore a nice suit so he must have been important! Oh, and the predator it talking to himself now!"
You need more than one face to make a story work. Predators fixate on their prey because they know their prey is worthy of them. The audience should be made to feel that, and without a developed character, it can't be done.

viendammage

Quote from: Terx2 on Jun 26, 2013, 03:08:53 AM

Sand storms can brush away the footprints :P But yeah desert could work out great. Conflict between two groups one of which hasn't adapted to the environment and a predator hunt those who are fair game. Could work really well :)

There needs to be some kind of structure the Predators can watch/swing from, that's one of their most interesting visual features is the swinging from trees or going from building to building.  Unless they can burrow, having them in the desert has them basically walking around?  Watching from sand dunes?  Maybe the ruins of a pyramid or city, there just needs to be something more than sand.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed