Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,725 times)

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 07, 2007, 12:58:02 AM
Hey there Mr. Perry, big fan of your work here and I must say that you are what has driven me to write fanfiction inspired by your AvP books. Ummm.... my question:

We know that the Jehdin fighting style which was used by the Yautja in your AvP Books, was your martial arts experience in Silat a major inspiration?

-Rakai'Thwei

It would be now, but at the time we did this one, I hadn't gotten into silat yet. At that point, I did a mish-mash of a bunch of arts I'd studied -- Okinawa-te, Chan-gen kung fu, aikido, kendo, kajukenbo, tai chi, like that.

Dachande

Dachande

Thanks for the answers Steve.

*goes off bragging that my pronounciation was closest-ish* ^__^

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Thank you for answering my question Mr. Perry-- I also have another one which has been on my mind but wasn't really sure if it was plausible to ask this.

Concerning that there is now a so called "sister" race to the Yautja, known as the Hish, and that John Shirely was planning to intergrate the two races together but having reproductive differences (i.e. the Hish being hermaphrodite, and the Yautja having two genders like humans as you and Stephani mentioned in AvP: Prey), would you say that there are two different races of Predators due to evolutionary differences or would the Hish and Yautja mythos be totally set in different universes?

-Rakai'Thwei

Extroheal

Extroheal

In AvP Prey the colonists believed that their encounter with the Predators was the first contact with intelligent aliens but in Forever Midnight there were lots of intelligent alien races known. In Forever Midnight there's also an organisation called the United Nations Interstellar Settlement Corps instead of the USCM. So even if the Yautja are like smooth-headed Klingons, it would take a lot of complicated explanations to show that they are in the same universe.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Let's keep Hish related stuff to a minimum. Mr Perry doesn't know that much about them.

Xenoegg

Xenoegg

Hello Mr Perry,

In your Books you writing a only Alien Drone can transforming to a Queen,is that a fact or Only a Theorie from the Yautja and Earth Scientists.

and is the Ripley Android in Female War from the same Typ just like Bishop 2 in ALIENĀ³?

steveperry

steveperry

Yeah, I confess I don't know any more about Shirley's new aliens than you do, I haven't talked to him in a while.

And in any universe that gets big, there are always continuity problems. Long-running arguments in Star Trek or Star Wars often boil down to what is canon -- "canon" meaning here what is considered absolutely genuine.

Some writers do stuff that doesn't quite fit, and mostly it gets ignored, everybody pretends it didn't happen. (In Star Wars, the early Marvel comics, there is a character who is named, I believe, Jaxx, who is essential a giant green bunny rabbit. Nobody likes to talk about him ...

I always assumed Ripley was like Bishop in her re-incarnation, probably a somewhat improved model. That she was gave her something to contend against, because at that point, she didn't like androids. It wasn until the end of A2 that she changed her mind about that.

My daughter goes by her middle name these days, by the way -- Danelle (pronounced "Dan-yell, because there is a ~ over the "n ...")

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Dachande2311 on May 08, 2007, 12:59:14 AM

Long as I am here, Dachande is pronounced "Dah-shaun-day ..." no accent on any particular syllable.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Thank you for answering my questions, Mr. Perry! I think thats the last of them for now.

-Rakai'Thwei

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: steveperry on May 08, 2007, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: Dachande2311 on May 08, 2007, 12:59:14 AM

Long as I am here, Dachande is pronounced "Dah-shaun-day ..." no accent on any particular syllable.

I actually got that one right.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I don't have a question, but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity...

Steve, I just wanted to say that there hasn't been a novel by you, or Danelle (or any co-authored projects) that I have not enjoyed wholeheartedly.

So thank you for the great work.

And hey, thanks for "Oh, Sherrie" too.  ;)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Don't forget to give the Aliens some lovin in a new novel as well.

SM

SM

No question.  Just quite liked Shadows Of The Empire.  :)

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

I have a question, sort of.  Actually, if it is alright with the two of you, this one is more for Stephanie if she feels like answering.

In AVP: Hunter's Planet, Machiko encounters and then eventually battles the Predator, Shorty.

But in Stephani's AVP: War, written after Hunter's Planet but taking place before it in the time line, she fights and kills Shorty (I think).

My question is what brought on this continuity diversion, was it intentional, accidental, and if the former, why?

I hope this isn't a tired question people have already brought up (I ran a quick search but might have missed something) and I'm sorry if it is.  Either way, thank you for your time.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Hunters Planet and War...well, it's either one or the other. Personally I'd tke War because I hated Hunters Planet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed