Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy

Started by ajm, Feb 10, 2010, 10:17:49 AM

Author
Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy (Read 171,659 times)

EdFishy

EdFishy

Hi there, I think it's amazing that you guys are taking the time out to talk with the fans!  I've actually finally gone from lurker to member thanks to you!

The demo was my first introduction to the AvP franchise, and although I am seeing a tremendous amount of depth (my five siblings and I are going to have a riot on the LAN), I'm also seeing quite a few little grievances (hasn't everyone?).

The game is obviously in its final state at this point, but could you generally give us an indicator of how much the final build has changed compared to the demo? Graphics, movement, weapon balance, on a scale from 1 to 10?

Also, I'm relieved to hear that Rebellion plans to continue their support for the game in the future.  Will the future support simply be weapon balances, or will it include all-new mechanics to smoothen gameplay? A little example would be the ability to adjust the amount of smoothing the camera for the Alien has, or cleaning up the Marine's movement so it's a little less sticky.  A big example would be a kill-cam option, or an auto-tracking(and possibly third-person) ability for the alien.

Hive Tyrant

Hello there, fantastic fellows of the fabolous Rebellion development team;

The pump fake, eh? Glad you pointed it out! That will help battling Predators a lot... Pity you won't be balancing a bit before release, but I suppose the balances will become more obvious in the various Team Deathmatch modes. That reminds me; why was Deathmatch picked for the demo? Any particular reasoning for that I(/we) might be unaware of?

One more short question: will there be vents for Aliens to crawl through in any of the multiplayer maps?

Steve C

Hi Eric, thanks very much for taking the time to answer our questions.  And to you or any Rebellion staff who read my angry first impression of the demo last week, I was drunk when I played it, so I didn't do very well.  I'm rather fond of it now. ;)

Anyway, on to the questions.

1) Will different sounds be available to the player through DLC?  Specifically I'm referring to the predator's vision mode and weapon sounds (especially the caster), as well as his various roars (looking for stuff from the original movies rather than the AvP movies).  Plus, we can't forget the smartgun sound.

2) The alien has the ability to taunt in this game, but this ability is lacking for both the predator and marine.  Will this be available at any point in the future?

3) I believe this was asked already, but I'll ask anyway.  Are there any plans to add more weapons?  Things like the SADAR, grenade launcher, netgun/speargun, etc.

4) About that whole "persecutor" thing in multiplayer...can we get rid of that?  I hate having a damn skull floating over my head.

Thanks again for your time.

ikarop

Welcome Eric, thanks again for joining us :). It's massively appreciated by the staff and our members. I hope you have a good time while you are here, all the best with the questions.

webley13

will multiplayer scores show death counts, people like to go by K:D ratios to measure their success against those who just mindlessly "E" their way to the top of the score board

Inferno

Hello Rebellion Staff Members,

Thank you for taking the time to do this, hopefully you will gain what you wish to achieve....a triple A game. I hope our constructive criticism help you attain your goal.

I'm unable to run the game properly at this moment (video card coming in today) but watching some game play videos I noticed that the depth perception seems to be a problem. Watching Tidomann's melee videos, the predator did a light attack that seemed to have been out of range. This game's melee system will strive on system performance and ping since this is very intensive action and reaction based.

I also noticed that the alien heavy attack is better than the predator heavy attack with it's ability for the animation to be hard to detect and the range of the tail. I'd like to suggest an audible hiss before the strike, the predator has one, so should the alien. The sound is a MAJOR cue to interrupt the heavy attack if possible. So I say either give both of the species an audible cue or keep them both quiet. If an audible hiss/roar is incorporated I don't think any other code would have to be messed with.

I rather have them kept both quiet so to make the heavy attack more of a weapon and they can growl / roar after the damage is done for killing satisfaction.

Chet

Welcome Eric,

at first i have to thank you for taking the time, to answer our questions, at second i have to excuse my bad english, im from germany and my german is much better, i promise you. :D

I work as a merchant in a video games store and we try to give our customers the possibility to order the game from us.

Many of our customers would like to know whether the game includes German subtitles?

If there will be different versions of AvP, it would be nice to know whether all versions support the German language. Or are there different versions and the UK version only supports the English language, the AT version only the German language, etc.

Now a private (non customer) questen.

Was there in the development of the PS3 version of AvP any problems, many developers have difficulties even with the Cell chip and the programmable on the PS3? And are there technical differences between the XB360 version and the PS3 version of AvP?

I can understand if you were not allowed to answer my second question.

Again, thank you that you take the time to answer our questions. You guys at rebellion do a awesome job with AvP, I play the demo now since Thursday and it makes me fun, again and again.

S.Y.L

Quote from: AJL on Feb 10, 2010, 03:10:58 PM
Quote from: S.Y.L on Feb 10, 2010, 02:28:06 PM
Quote from: AJL on Feb 10, 2010, 12:03:13 PM
Can you abort your Heavy Attack and go with your Light Attack instead ??
( Aborting your HA by bringing up your Block won't do you much good if
the enemy responded to your HA charging with ranged weapon... )

so your question is "why can`t we block bullets?"
.... hmmm ;)

No... Read my post... I am sure there are some translators
you can use if you having trouble understanding it...

ok kids, what comes out of ranged weapons??.....
ok, i`ll spoil the surprise - it`s bullets. see? i DID read your post :P

if you decide half way through a HA that you should`ve used a LA then in my view that`s too bad, you made your choice. So far (again, in my view) a lot of your posts are essentially whining that you`re going to have to approach this game differently to others. ultimately, that`s not the games problem, you`re going to win every single time i`m afraid.

Dachande

Quote from: S.Y.L on Feb 10, 2010, 03:20:42 PM
ok kids, what comes out of ranged weapons??.....
ok, i`ll spoil the surprise - it`s bullets. see? i DID read your post :P

Or plasma >_>

Xenodog

Will the Predator's health be lessened, and his weapon's power changed in the final product?
Plasma Caster = 1 hit kill
Spear = 1 hit kill
Disk = 1 hit kill (At closer ranges.)
Mine = 1 hit kill
Heavy attack = Knock down, so essentially a free kill.

This, by far, statistically makes the Predator the most powerful class, as his health is the highest by quite a bit too. Generally, as an Alien at least, I have no problem with Predators, but friends often complain of them being over-powered and/or the "Noob" class.

Will their 1 hit kill weapons and extensive health be altered in the final product?

Tyrokiller

First of all hi and second of all it's great to finally see rebellion attempting to contact it's fan-base first hand - still I would always love a forum of your own.  ;)

Still as far as questions go my two would have to be:

1) Will the skins change anything else besides the look of the character - i.e. if a praetorian will there be a new model to represent this and will the alien in question be slower and have more health etc... than the other options?

2) During the game it's possible to run around an enemy (After they have seen you) and perform a stealth kill - is there any plans to do it so that you can't perform a stealth kill if you have been seen by the person in question for a certain time period? If there already is one in place then will you be extending it as the amount of times I have been killed due to this is staggeringly high.

Still as for the fake heavy attack ability thanks for the heads up, should make killing more easier. ;)

Eidotemit

I don't think that an alien, or anything else, should be able to block anything ranges (I assume this mostly refers to the disk), but I ask that there be no discussion of features here, and only questions.

It is becoming nearly a universal opinion (as far as I can tell) that there needs to be something done to slow down the rate at which the pred can throw the Smart Disk and/or using weapons (Smart Disk and Combi) would leave the pred susceptible to being stunned. When you referred to balance issues earlier, did it include tweaking the predator's Smart Disk (I assume it did)? Should Rebellion wish to do something as described above, how feasible is it to fix something like that?

DoomRulz

Hello Eric, thank you so very much for taking the time to chat with us here on the boards! :)

Most of the other questions posted already echo my own thoughts, so really, my only question at the moment is: will the Hunter Edition be released in Canada at all?

I am just so confused with that, because around here, there has been endless discussion surrounding European and American versions, and with it, mixed messages. Can you confirm or deny this?

PsychoticMarik

PsychoticMarik

Well it sure is pleasing to see that Rebellion is interested in their fans feedback.
This is much appreciated.

Interesting about the HA bluff that can be pulled off. I wasn't aware of it.
Perhaps things are a little less in the Predators favor than I first thought.

Alot of questions have been asked, so forgive me if I repeat any.

Flamethrower
This weapon is easily the least used, and I can understand why. I've only ever gotten a single kill with it, and thats because a Predator had just started his stealth kill. Even then it took almost all my ammo to kill it.
The weapon is seriously weak, and I fear it will be neglected entirely if not buffed.

Smart Disk
As others have said it needs some kind of cool down.
I've been able to utterly dominate with it. Just tossing it the second I get it back.
This may also contribute to the feeling of the Predator being OP.

Life Cycle
I know this was answered in a recent interview, so I'll ask it in a different manner.
Was this mode ever seriously considered, and if so...would you be willing to create it if you had the opportunity to create a sequel? I realize you may not be able to answer this question, but its absence disappointments me as it was very fun back in AVP2. So if you can at least comment on this it would be much appreciated.

Stealth kills
Sometimes I can perform these on a enemy that's half way down a hallway. Any plans to reduce the distance needed to perform the move?  Also, I've been stealth killed before by players that I'm actually facing head on. Can anything be done about this?

Predalien
I understand that this was answered also, but I feel its a issue.
If I remember correctly the aliens actually have 1 less skin to use than either the predators or the soldiers.
So I would like to ask why the predaliens model wasn't reworked to fit the role of a regular alien?
I understand its in the story, and I don't know how long it may have taken to adjust the model for MP, but I'm very troubled by its exclusion. Is there any hope that it can be done as DLC?

Once again Thank you for your time. Its always nice to see the devs taking interest in fan feedback and caring about the longevity of their game.

Eidotemit

Quote from: PsychoticMarik on Feb 10, 2010, 04:03:59 PM
Predalien
I understand that this was answered also, but I feel its a issue.
If I remember correctly the aliens actually have 1 less skin to use than either the predators or the soldiers.
So I would like to ask why the predaliens model wasn't reworked to fit the role of a regular alien?
I understand its in the story, and I don't know how long it may have taken to adjust the model for MP, but I'm very troubled by its exclusion. Is there any hope that it can be done as DLC?

I too, am interested in this question. Would it be possible to include the Predalien as a unlockable skin (just a skin, no attribute differences) via DLC? Would this be something Rebellion is willing to look into?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed