Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1043

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 478,358 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jul 03, 2022, 02:38:26 AMThe last time I tried to introduce people to the film they said it was boring then asked if the Alien was humping the prisoner in the tunnels.

It was always boring.  I once made my uncle sit through it back in the day.  He was charitable enough to pretend he enjoyed it because he saw how much I wanted him to, but now I realize he was just being nice.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Jul 03, 2022, 02:38:26 AMAlien was humping the prisoner in the tunnels.

It does (sorta) look like that.

SiL

SiL

It absolutely looks like that.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It does look that way. lol

This person helped wrestle me out of a decade long depression though, does not bullshit me, liked Aliens and liked Alien more but LOVED Alien³ to my surprise.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jul 03, 2022, 03:34:58 AMIt absolutely looks like that.

Alien 3 might actually be more interesting if it was that.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Who's to say it's not?

Anyway yeah, good vibes, had a good time with Valerie. (Or Coco)

Very excited for A34K, that's going to be the Special Edition with the Dog and the Queen Chestburster.  No egg or facehugger in the beginning part, and the compositing blue and green screen all cleaned up, tentatively dated for October to December.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

When did they announce anything about the egg in the 4k version?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

In a Reddit message when I asked about changes and release date.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Oh, the fan edit?  I thought you meant Fox was doing it.

SiL

SiL

Fox isn't doing shit as far as anyone knows.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

A rumour popped up around two years ago about Aliens and Alien³ getting 4K treatments done, but since then nothing, I also saw someone recently say this August but I think that's speculative bullshit.

James Cameron's so preoccupied with Avatar that it's not happening anytime soon, and if it did, it's likely you will wish that he hadn't considering the state of Terminator and Judgment Day. David Fincher doesn't care, and Charles de Laurikza holds no power under the Disney umbrella, especially with their track record of home releases.

Someone might eventually upscale Aliens from scratch but considering the film stock it would be mighty easy to make a complete hash of it, or just use the Blu-ray that although pretty for 1080p the DNR applied to it makes upscaling not all that desirable, and it's very blue.

Alien³ comparatively might be a lot of work with warped frames and such and of course painstakingly fixing the compositing, but it had the luxury of not being awful grainy in the first place, so if you went over it carefully a few times with upscaling and a keen eye that would probably do the trick pretty alright.

TL;DR A34K; will likely be the best version of that film by default for a long long long time if Disney's reputation remains unchanged.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

My friend Coco's post on Blu-ray.com

QuoteI've been thinking a lot about Alien³ since I saw it for the first time a few days ago, and I really don't think most of the criticism it gets is at all fair. For the record, I fukin loved the movie. It was incredible. I honestly loved it more than I did the original. Having that takeaway and reading the criticisms, I feel like we weren't even watching the same movie.

Like, I get being upset with the stuff from Aliens being thrown out. But Cameron kinda did the same thing with Alien? He turned it from a horror movie into an action movie. How is turning it back into a horror movie suddenly a bad thing? Besides, Alien is like one of the few series where it's actually tonally consistent to kill main characters nihilistic-ally and unceremoniously.

Reading some of the criticisms, I kinda don't even feel like we were watching the same movie. People thought the characters were all generic/unlikable bald-heads? They were oozing with personality. All the marines in Aliens were generic clones. Direct that criticism over there. Hicks was the most boring character alive. I feel like Fincher was faced with an ultimatum. He could either continue the story of the alien or he could continue the story of Newt and Hicks. And he made a pretty bold decision to go with the former instead of trying to balance them. Plus holy shit was the cinematography fantastic. Honestly the main downside in my mind was just the poor compositing on the alien itself. But I can look past that.

Also I saw something about how the premise itself for Alien 3 is contrived, but have they forgotten that Aliens is a ridiculous comedy of errors? like jfc Aliens is a way worse offender than Alien 3 for every criticism I see except for special effects.

Kradan

Kradan

People weren't pissed off about genre change, they were pissed off about two main characters dying in the opening credits. Aliens didn't start with Ripley being pretty unceremoniously killed off. Say what you want but Aliens was more respectful towards its predecessor than Alien 3

Marines were generic clones ? Hicks was the most boring character alive ? C'mon now, I'm not sure me and your friend watched the same movie

Overall, once again I see the case of somebody feeling that to praise Alien/3 they have to shit on Aliens even if through being disingenenious which I honestly don't get the reasons for

SiL

SiL

That review reads like it was written by an edgy twelve year old. It's the "no, u" school of defence - "Nuh uh, Alien 3 wasn't disrespectful, Aliens was! The characters in Alien 3 weren't faceless, the characters in Aliens were!"

it doesn'tt actually praise the movie, just shits on another one to make it look good by comparison.

judge death

judge death

I never cared for Hicks or Newt, the main charachter of the alien franchise is the xenomorph and what I want to see, the humans are just fodder :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed