[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series!

Started by RidgeTop, Jan 11, 2022, 10:20:03 PM

Author
[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series! (Read 25,401 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 10, 2022, 07:36:33 PM
In the early 80s, on the back of the old videodisc (remember those?) of Alien, there was an essay about the film from someone who speculated about the nature of the 'planet-ship that the Nostromo lands on.'  That always stuck with me. Those tunnels in the egg chamber were way too big (and at way too low an elevation) to be inside the derelict itself.

So there's a mystery I've been able to hold onto.  :P

As someone reading this for the first time, I don't have many words to express my interest in the face of such an intriguing curiosity.  :o

...well except this  ;D

Dammit! The idea is so insane that I'm really looking forward for someone to investigate this old Alien trivia like the creepy rock formation that never made the cut in the original flick, I mean, I want something like that in canon.

So I can easily fantasize about a race of Engineer-like entities converting that moon into a giant space ship, with the biomechanical pilots of their U-shaped spaceships being the AI that controls everything. Kinda like their very own MU/TH/UR 6000.

Here are other examples of the concept in other sci-fi IPs.  8)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 10, 2022, 07:36:33 PM
In the early 80s, on the back of the old videodisc (remember those?) of Alien, there was an essay about the film from someone who speculated about the nature of the 'planet-ship that the Nostromo lands on.'  That always stuck with me. Those tunnels in the egg chamber were way too big (and at way too low an elevation) to be inside the derelict itself.

So there's a mystery I've been able to hold onto.  :P

Do you have that videodisc? I'd love to read that in its entirety.

Mr. Clemens

I don't, I just checked it out of the library (40 years ago!), and Google's not doing me any favours. I remember the writer wasn't any great authority on the film, he was just writing his interpretation of what he saw... but he isn't wrong!  :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

There's a Giger quote somewhere, in which he says he wanted to make the entire landscape, biomechanical as well. I guess ultimately budgetary constraints probably stopped him but you can still see that idea in the shot where Dallas & Co. enters the Derelict.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2022, 08:44:42 AM

I think Elmazalman has the LaserDisc.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 11, 2022, 05:17:32 PM
There's a Giger quote somewhere, in which he says he wanted to make the entire landscape, biomechanical as well. I guess ultimately budgetary constraints probably stopped him but you can still see that idea in the shot where Dallas & Co. enters the Derelict.

I just gotta state for the record I'm not talking about laserdisc here, but its precursor, videodisc. It was a 12" disc that came in a plastic sleeve. You'd stick the entire sleeve in the machine, the machine would grab the disc, and you'd pull the plastic sleeve back out and then watch the film. When it came time to flip sides, you'd put the plastic sleeve back in the machine to get the disc out, flip it over, and repeat. The format died out immediately as soon as VCRs became widely available.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Strange... I've no memory of those. We just watched movies at the theater and on TV until VCR's became available.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 12, 2022, 03:21:43 PM
Strange... I've no memory of those. We just watched movies at the theater and on TV until VCR's became available.

The only family I ever knew of who had one was my dad's; his wife was a librarian and her library stocked these discs, you could check 'em out for free like a book. So they bought a player and there were constant movies coming home. It wasn't the greatest format, though - they'd often skip just like a record!  :D

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 12, 2022, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 11, 2022, 05:17:32 PM

I just gotta state for the record I'm not talking about laserdisc here, but its precursor, videodisc. It was a 12" disc that came in a plastic sleeve. You'd stick the entire sleeve in the machine, the machine would grab the disc, and you'd pull the plastic sleeve back out and then watch the film. When it came time to flip sides, you'd put the plastic sleeve back in the machine to get the disc out, flip it over, and repeat. The format died out immediately as soon as VCRs became widely available.

I have one ( and a player) but I am not skilled at posting pictures. There is one for sale on U.S. eBay.  The listing is.

ALIEN (1979) Sigourney Weaver CED Selectavision Disc Stereo 1982 CBS/FOX 1090-90

There are front & back photos. So maybe someone can scan them for this thread.

D

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Good catch! Here it is...

[EDIT: although technically I think that one's a proper laserdisc with the same blurb on the back, as that one's in a cardboard sleeve, not plastic.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Hmmm...I will look for my copy.  The one listed front image is in better condition than mine. The paper tends to bubble you can see it on this listing too.  I was glad to see someone else on here old enough to remember these. There is a old gas station 2 blocks from the home I grew up in that rented these back then.  :laugh:

edit:

That's weird. The front cover picture shows the plastic case. The back photo looks like a cardboard sleeve?

The one I have you slide the entire case into the player. You never handle the disc if memory serves me?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Thank you ladies and gentlemen 8)

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 12, 2022, 03:57:50 PM
Good catch! Here it is...

I love the take of the person who wrote that.

Kradan

Utter shock and terror ? Nah, Space Jockey looks pretty chill to me

426Buddy

The face always seemed pretty scary to me as a kid. I think the description is pretty accurate.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 12, 2022, 07:57:06 PM
The face always seemed pretty scary to me as a kid. I think the description is pretty accurate.

https://i.imgur.com/5INcUph.jpeg

Poor David. :'(

Kradan

Now he looks happy to me. Like he saw somebody he haven't seen in a long time

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 12, 2022, 08:13:59 PM

Poor David. :'(

I knew him, Horatio

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed