[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series!

Started by RidgeTop, Jan 11, 2022, 10:20:03 PM

Author
[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series! (Read 25,425 times)

RidgeTop

Following the recent news surrounding the themes of the upcoming FX Alien series such as competing corporations or consciousness transference, one of the more frequent questions we’ve been seeing from fans is regarding the Aliens themselves, looking for some news on our favourite extra-terrestrial’s involvement in the series. We’re pleased to bring you some intel on that front! 

According to Alien vs. Predator Galaxy’s sources none other than effects studio Weta will be responsible for designing and bringing the Xenomorphs to life in Noah Hawley’s upcoming FX series!

Though we can safely reveal that Weta is currently involved in the series’ production, we can’t say what the blend of practical and digital effects will be for the Aliens when the series moves into production in March. Weta is actually comprised of sister companies Weta Digital, which handles primarily computer generated effects, and Weta Workshop handling primarily practical effects & concept art.

[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series!

One of the ‘White Spike’ Aliens from the film The Tomorrow War.

We would hope there is some degree of return to form with a balance of including practical effects for the Xenomorphs, but if they are to be an entirely digital creation, Weta’s previous work with digital creatures certainly gives us confidence in this route as well. Weta Workshop famously designed the concepts for the ‘Prawn’ creatures in the film District 9, with Image Engine creating the digital effects for the alien characters. More recently, Weta Digital (now WetaFX) developed the lifelike CGI for the creature effects in the films The Tomorrow War, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and Avatar

While Weta has previous experience in the franchise in creating a number of the digital effects in Prometheus, including a cut digital incarnation of the Fifield mutant, this is their first foray into the concepts and effects of the Xenomorphs for the screen. Weta Workshop also produces collectibles and has made a number of Alien and Predator display pieces for their Micro Epics line.

Keep your browsers locked on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien TV Series news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

HuDaFuK

Nightmare Asylum

Corporal Hicks

Nightmare Asylum

Now, crossing my fingers and hoping for a return to the original biomechanical form of the Alien. Would love to see what Weta can whip up there, design wise, and see the kind of movements they would be able to pull off with a digital creation that harkens back to Giger's original design.

Bughuntwilson

Didnt weta did the lord of the rings moives and king kong 2005

Stitch

Immortan Jonesy

Great news! This gives even more guarantee to the Alien execution.

Bughuntwilson

Maybe they might have the alien do the crab walk as homage to that deleted scene

BlueMarsalis79

Simply Kevin

Awesome! Speaking of District 9, I hope they give Bloomkamp an episode to direct.

SiL

Great studio, but I'll wait for the designs to get excited :laugh:

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Bughuntwilson on Jan 11, 2022, 11:22:37 PM
Maybe they might have the alien do the crab walk as homage to that deleted scene

Wouldn't be their choice, but I'd personally hope not. It was deleted for a reason. Didn't look great crawling around on its arse, IMO.

Quote from: Simply Kevin on Jan 11, 2022, 11:44:48 PM
Awesome! Speaking of District 9, I hope they give Bloomkamp an episode to direct.

That would be... Interesting. And a nice gesture.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2022, 12:07:25 AM
Great studio, but I'll wait for the designs to get excited :laugh:

Same here, but whatever the designs are like they're asked to create, they almost certainly will do a good job of crafting the result.

Anonymous

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'm sorry to say it but I'm honestly just glad it's not ADI returning, something felt incorrect somehow, about their recent biomechanical Alien maquette besides the unnecessary additions.

I'd be overjoyed with Odd Studios and Creatures Incorporated.

But I do not think there's much better out there than WETA.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed