Predator: Eyes of the Demon Anthology in 2022

Started by felix, Nov 03, 2021, 10:30:56 PM

Author
Predator: Eyes of the Demon Anthology in 2022 (Read 32,251 times)

Wysps

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Aug 13, 2022, 12:09:18 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Aug 12, 2022, 08:39:26 PMI hope the Dutch story ties into Staling Shadows and Hunting Grounds
It's the first story I read and yes, there is a direct reference to Predator: Hunting Grounds  ;)

Detailed story:
Spoiler
Dutch is at a V.A. Hospital in Tennessee. Being cared for his radioactive illness and being interrogated by Agents Peter Keyes and Jim Garber about the Val Verde incident. Ana Gonsalves has already been interrogated.
For days, Dutch tells them about the Predator and what happened and wants to see the General Phillips who he takes responsable of the death of his team.
Keyes reveals there have been other encounters and they have found green blood and skinned animals.
Dutch records his memories on tapes, the first one being "It's September 12th, 1987. My name is Major Alan Schaefer, also known as 'Dutch'...".
Dutch learns about a new Predator in North Carolina and escapes the hospital to take revenge.
The Predator in North Carolina is a Youngblood named Yuahro.
Names dropping of Percival and Zeller. (page 68)
Dutch finds and fights the Predator.
OWLF arrived with an helicopter, but they are attacked by the father of Yuahro in a ship.
Yuahro is injured and flee in the ship. The ship leaves.
Keyes tries to recrute Dutch, but he doesn't want and flee.
Dutch thinks about his brother John, a cop in New York, and his sister, and then thinks about some friends from Vietnam who could join him in the hunt.
[close]

Just purchased and very excited to dig in - I think I may also start with Aftermath (pretty familiar with this corner of the world)!  Thanks for the spoiler  :)

BryanThomasS

Quote from: SiL on Aug 14, 2022, 01:33:43 AMDo you get input in the cover or do you just get presented options? All the Titan covers have the same collage-y feel to them and I was wondering if that was by coincidence or by design.
The only input I get is the size of my name and to request which contributors, but the first is the one I made contractual, anything else is a crapshoot.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: felix on Aug 14, 2022, 10:19:12 PMLion In The Himalaya's is one of my favorites.

I just finished this short myself. An absolutely fantastic read!

Wompdonkey

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 16, 2022, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: felix on Aug 14, 2022, 10:19:12 PMLion In The Himalaya's is one of my favorites.

I just finished this short myself. An absolutely fantastic read!
Of the 3 I've read so far, it is the best. Even Aftermath, with all its references, wasn't as good a simple and solid Predator story.

Mr.Turok

Just read The Fix Is In chapter and goddamm I feel hollow  :'( what a chapter of tension, suspense and a great twist! Wanna see a follow up to this now.

Wompdonkey

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Aug 19, 2022, 06:26:43 AMJust read The Fix Is In chapter and goddamm I feel hollow  :'( what a chapter of tension, suspense and a great twist! Wanna see a follow up to this now.

That story was really good. Also, love the username

Wompdonkey

Minor spoilers for Aftermath, but is
Spoiler
Dutch's brother John McClain from the Die Hard series?

Both Predator and Die Hard 1 were directed by John McTiernan, and the timeline matches up. It has to be a Die Hard reference.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

John Schaefer from the Dark Horse comics.

I finished Maberry's short yesterday. I really do enjoy the shorts he's written for all the anthologies so far. He's got a great style.

Wompdonkey

Wompdonkey

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 22, 2022, 09:44:19 AMJohn Schaefer from the Dark Horse comics.

I finished Maberry's short yesterday. I really do enjoy the shorts he's written for all the anthologies so far. He's got a great style.

Oh ok. That makes more sense. I'm relatively new to the EU as a whole, so I read that and was like "why is there a Die Hard reference in this story?"

Also I totally agree with what you said about Maberry. I want a full fledged novel Predator novel from him.

I also looked up John Schaefer, and aside from the art being very 90's, I gotta say that characters like that always feel like fan-fiction to me.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Finally finished and overall I enjoyed this anthology.

The majority of the shorts are all solidly written, enjoyable stories.

My 3 favorites are "Lion of the Himalayas", "Ghost Story" and "Dead Man's Switch"

All the returning authors to the franchise had really strong stories: Tim Lebbon, Bryan Thomas Schmidt, Jonathon Maberry, Peter Briggs, Yvonne Navarro and Scott Sigler.

There's a couple stories that I wasn't all that fond of; though that could be because I'm not a fan of overly anthropomorphizing Predators and those stories anthropomorphized them to a ridiculous degree in my opinion (one story in particular was especially egregious in this regard).

Although not as good as "If It Bleeds", I'd still fully recommend for Predator fans and I appreciate Bryan Thomas Schmidt for bringing this project to fruition.

Peter Briggs

Thank you kindly, sir.  My first time out to bat in a Predator novel, so I'm glad I met with your approval!

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

Quote from: Wompdonkey on Aug 21, 2022, 11:58:01 PMMinor spoilers for Aftermath, but is
Spoiler
Dutch's brother John McClain from the Die Hard series?

Both Predator and Die Hard 1 were directed by John McTiernan, and the timeline matches up. It has to be a Die Hard reference.
[close]
No. His brother John Schaefer is a cop from the early comics, and two early novels.

Quote from: Wompdonkey on Aug 23, 2022, 12:25:38 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 22, 2022, 09:44:19 AMJohn Schaefer from the Dark Horse comics.

Oh ok. That makes more sense. I'm relatively new to the EU as a whole, so I read that and was like "why is there a Die Hard reference in this story?"

Also I totally agree with what you said about Maberry. I want a full fledged novel Predator novel from him.

I also looked up John Schaefer, and aside from the art being very 90's, I gotta say that characters like that always feel like fan-fiction to me.
Well, it's canon according to the studio, and it was officially authorized, so your taste aside, it's not fan fiction really. But all of this is technically fan fiction, except some of it is officially authorized and paid and can be made canon and others won't

shadowedge

Listened to the first half or so of the audiobook today and so far many of the stories were good,  but I am a bit turned off by the Field Trip one.

The predators had a very bad showing in that story but it did focus on predator nursing and birth which is not something I was expecting but was nonetheless interesting.

The narrator had a very calming voice though.

Corporal Hicks

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to finish the book off earlier this year. I'm trying to revisit it now. I just finished Peter Briggs' short. Really enjoyed it. I love when we have Predators that are a little different, and this one being obsessed with the why of their prey's mentality was really interesting to me. It's stuff like this that make the Predators actually feel intelligent and self-aware.

Loved the Acturian references in it too. I thought it was really well written too. Sometimes Peter's style did get a little truncated and the screenwriter showed through a little, but in general I really enjoyed his way with words.

An unfortunately abrupt ending though, but definitely one of the strongest in the book so far.

Nightmare Asylum

Wait... Arcturian references in a Predator anthology???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed