PREDATOR: Strange Writing in the Jungle Hunter's Medicomp Medical First Aid Kit

Started by Voodoo Magic, Jan 03, 2020, 03:17:30 PM

Author
PREDATOR: Strange Writing in the Jungle Hunter's Medicomp Medical First Aid Kit (Read 5,021 times)

Voodoo Magic

Anyone know what this strange, mysterious writing in the Predator's medical kit is? 

At times:

• I've thought it was perhaps a commercial branding, a result of a reuse of an already machined part.

• Part of me thought it might be one of the artists' names who designed the Predator medicomp, but I have yet to line it up with someone in the credits.

• Another part of me thought perhaps it was intended as Predator alien writing.

Here it is in 4K:

Maybe the answer has always been available in a magazine or something and I just always missed it?  Anyone know?

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I was pretty sure it was medical supplies they doctored into the Predator's gear. I know later medicomps had some custom items but I'm not under the impression the original was. I could be wrong though and I could've sworn it was brought up somewhere as well.

So I looked into and it I think the item might be this;

According to Xenopedia it's a 30 ml Roux Revolver syringe (which is to say the writing is likely branding).

Immortan Jonesy

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Which was my initial thought, that it was commercial branding because it's a reuse of an already machined part. 

But if so, what's the branding, asks my inquiring mind?  It finally needs match!  :)

Hmm. Does that start with Liut?

Liuf? 

Hut?

Huf?

SuperiorIronman

Does anybody know if they went to a medical supply? The location and year they did would help track down the specific brand.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Playing devil's advocate though, would I want an Earth based manufaturer to be branded on anything in a closeup 35mm camera shot of a first aid kit supposedly belonging to a space alien? 

The branding or writing we see on screen seems a bit rough.  Maybe what we see in Predator is production marks etched on top of something before it, to cover up and disguise a light original branding perhaps, like we see below.

Does it mean anything, would still be anyone's guess.

And of course your pic showed no manufacturer branding at all, which would be most ideal for filmakers when pretending it's an alien tool.

SiL

SiL

If you Google Image Search "Roux Revolver Syringe" you'll see some with engravings on that part of the handle.

As they seem to be veterinary tools, it's possible it's the name of a vet that had their equipment engraved  :P

As for "not wanting to take a closeup with a 35mm camera of this detail", much, much worse got close-ups in the age of film that filmmakers thought would get missed.

Voodoo Magic

Yep, we know. We're trying to figure out if what we see in Predator is a corporate branding or not, and if so, what company. :)

molasar

molasar

This one for example has a JorVet name etched in it.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 03, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
Yep, we know. We're trying to figure out if what we see in Predator is a corporate branding or not, and if so, what company. :)
I think I updated the post before you replied. I honestly don't think there's enough detail left in the shot to determine an exact name, but it'd be interesting to scrounge through bts shots to find out.

Voodoo Magic

Yep, I'll have to keep looking. Like trying to source the Dutch in Keyes role Predator 2 rumor, I was taking a shot in hope that someone knew the answer already. :)

Maybe if I contact some Winston guys, they might know.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 03, 2020, 06:39:29 PM
As for "not wanting to take a closeup with a 35mm camera of this detail", much, much worse got close-ups in the age of film that filmmakers thought would get missed.

Yep. Though I'd imagine most would avoid it if they could, especially ones who are meticulous in nature, which describes more than a few who worked on Predator.  But nothing's ruled out here of course, just playing devil's advocate. My original OP thought was branding, knowing the piece was a reuse.

Quote from: molasar on Jan 03, 2020, 06:45:03 PM
This one for example has a JorVet name etched in it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71wLZfs6DdL._SL1500_.jpg

Yep molasar.  :)  That seems to be a common marking place.

Kailem

"Predette: the best a Yautja can get."

Voodoo Magic

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 03, 2020, 07:41:04 PM
Yep. Though I'd imagine most would avoid it if they could, especially ones who are meticulous in nature, which describes more than a few who worked on Predator. 
Honestly, that's not been my experience. I've found people were way more inclined to aim their camera - in closeup - at shit that would give their effects away in 35mm than they have been in the digital age.

I think that's more an effect if the rise of higher definition home releases that make those things more obvious, though.

In the 80s your Predator VHS ignored your aspect ratio and contained such things as Blaine's prosthetics and Dillon's trampoline. You didn't shoot your film thinking your audience would be able to literally go frame by frame through your work to pick out every detail.

Today, your Predator Blu-ray maintains your aspect ratio ... but exposes the branding on your props. ;D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jan 05, 2020, 07:49:56 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 03, 2020, 07:41:04 PM
Yep. Though I'd imagine most would avoid it if they could, especially ones who are meticulous in nature, which describes more than a few who worked on Predator. 
Honestly, that's not been my experience. I've found people were way more inclined to aim their camera - in closeup - at shit that would give their effects away in 35mm than they have been in the digital age.

I think that's more an effect if the rise of higher definition home releases that make those things more obvious, though.

In the 80s your Predator VHS ignored your aspect ratio and contained such things as Blaine's prosthetics and Dillon's trampoline. You didn't shoot your film thinking your audience would be able to literally go frame by frame through your work to pick out every detail.

Today, your Predator Blu-ray maintains your aspect ratio ... but exposes the branding on your props. ;D

Yet there was no frame by frame pick out every detail required here, something that is necessary to see the spark marriage proposal for instance. It's a long closeup on the medkit, a closeup that contained writing I noticed on my 1988 VHS Tape long before I had it on DVD. There was no blu-ray required to detect it.

But alas, without definitive proof, we can talk in circles in this particular case with regards to its story without truly eliminating anything. I'm just interested in what it says at this point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed