Thoughts on a Predator film without the Yautja

Started by Rebel-Blood, Sep 02, 2019, 05:14:56 AM

What do you think of the concept of a Predator film without Yautja?

All for it
0 (0%)
No way, it's called Predator for a reason
13 (86.7%)
Meh
0 (0%)
Let's give it a shot
2 (13.3%)
Focus on something else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sep 12, 2019, 05:14:56 AM

Author
Thoughts on a Predator film without the Yautja (Read 9,084 times)

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 03, 2019, 03:37:05 PM
Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 03, 2019, 12:46:10 PM
I think if you were to see what I have in mind, it may not seem like Predator in the beginning, but as you progress it will become pretty damn obvious that this is clearly inspired by Predator. This concept is borrowing the theme of Predator and the ambiance, you don't need the Yautjas for this. Heck when you think about it, the original Predator film could have been completely different maybe even a straight up horror movie. What we ended up getting is an action thriller.

Yeah, I'm not betting on you'll find many Predator fans that are seeking films just "inspired by Predator", but rather just more Predator films.

I sure as heck wouldn't. It'd probably work for other franchises with ETs or even AI, but I can't see it happening with Predator. Why not just make it an entirely different concept altogether, and not have it tie in to the Predator universe?

Kimarhi

Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 03, 2019, 12:46:10 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 03, 2019, 01:51:02 AM
Predator movies should have Predators in them.

Alien movies should have Aliens in them.   >:(

Like I've said all along with Prometheus, why not just have made it its own thing? 

Prometheus is its own thing though why they chose to remerge the series with Alien in Covenant I will never understand. The whole point of a spinoff is that it does not mess with the main series. I think this is what this concept is, basically a spinoff of Predator. I am kind of confused by everyone, is everyone against naming any sequels Predator without the Yautja or is everyone against the entire concept? I think even if everyone is against the idea of a sequel with the name, I still think it would be a kickass concept for a spinoff series.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 02, 2019, 11:01:05 PM

Once you want to make Predator without Predator, I think it ceases being Predator. 

Alien, Predator... the creature is the title, even though both names were originally a vague category.

I think if you were to see what I have in mind, it may not seem like Predator in the beginning, but as you progress it will become pretty damn obvious that this is clearly inspired by Predator. This concept is borrowing the theme of Predator and the ambiance, you don't need the Yautjas for this. Heck when you think about it, the original Predator film could have been completely different maybe even a straight up horror movie. What we ended up getting is an action thriller.

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2019, 06:16:10 PM
Predator: Office Luncheon
I am wondering what in the hell is going on with this comment 😂

Prometheus was never its own thing from the moment they went back and f**ks with my man the space jockey to tie it into the Alienverse. 

If it was its own thing I'd care way less about it.  I might have even been able to tolerate it.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Also it had a giant facehugger and a wannabe alien. When the Deacon bursted out everyone realized it was an alien movie.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Scifeld

Voted no. The creature was what made the very first movie stand out. Had they gone with the original creature design, it would never have been as good.

We also have fans who hate when they deviate from the original Predator design too so I doubt this concept would be widely accepted... granted the quality of the designs were questionable in most cases.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 04, 2019, 05:05:14 AM

Scifeld

What in the hell is going on 😂 this joke has gone too far.

Voted no. The creature was what made the very first movie stand out. Had they gone with the original creature design, it would never have been as good.

We also have fans who hate when they deviate from the original Predator design too so I doubt this concept would be widely accepted... granted the quality of the designs were questionable in most cases.

Yeah but this does not mess with the Yautjas themselves, the way I see it, it adds a new layer to the series and keeps things fresh. It explores new stories and monsters.

The Old One

The Old One

Alien I think could do a Silmarillion to it's LOTR so to speak, I don't see that working for Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 03, 2019, 05:34:36 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 03, 2019, 03:37:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not betting on you'll find many Predator fans that are seeking films just "inspired by Predator", but rather just more Predator films.

You would be surprised because I think it adds a fresh spin on the Predator series and you look at the Yautja alot differently.

Or, after reading most of the opinions on this thread, you'll be surprised my good man!  ;D

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 03, 2019, 08:23:04 PM
For the Alien universe yes, I think a film without the titular title character is entirely possible
for Predator no.

Why do you say that? I think you could probably do the same thing with both but as everybody says, it probably would have to have been done much earlier before they decided to focus on the creatures from the original movies. I was origially planning on posting a similar thread about what if the Alien series had taken a different route than the one it ended up taking. My reasoning comes from a post that I read about another Alien species mentioned in the film Aliens : https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/arcturians/
This article got me thinking what other alien creatures exist in the Alien universe. It is also kind of odd that the people in the Alien franchise never question the fact that alien life has been discovered almost like it is not special and people have been dealing with it for a long time. I kind of wondered what other monstrous creatures humans come across other than xenomorphs if the Alien series had taken this direction, I am guessing it would be the next is worse than the last type of situation.

Kimarhi

It has been suggested that Acturians could be people from that system and not aliens, and that the Marines of the time could play both sides of the fence.

Just like today.

PredBabe

Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 04, 2019, 12:55:49 PM

Scifeld

Yeah but this does not mess with the Yautjas themselves, the way I see it, it adds a new layer to the series and keeps things fresh. It explores new stories and monsters.

Hey, they are not monsters, they're just extraterrestrial barbarians.

To elaborate, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Predators/Yautja interacting with other alien species (like on a hunting planet... or an intergalactic pub 💁🏻‍♀️) . But I'm not for a movie where a group of people are being hunted by a completely different creature.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 05, 2019, 04:18:36 AM

Scifeld

To elaborate, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Predators/Yautja interacting with other alien species (like on a hunting planet... or an intergalactic pub 💁🏻‍♀️) . But I'm not for a movie where a group of people are being hunted by a completely different creature.

^ This right here +1

Huggs

Ruby Rhod should interview a predator.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 05, 2019, 04:31:52 AM
Ruby Rhod should interview a predator.

Is it just me or does Huggs only communicate in jokes? ;D

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 05, 2019, 04:18:36 AM

Scifeld

When you call them intergalactic barbarians you are reminding me of the fact that they come to our planet to hunt without impunity and not only no one can do anything about it but no one knows that they are even there! In other words if humans were more advanced, we could intercept their ships before those primitives tried to land here. I would imagine that in the Alien series our technological edge has evened out the odds but at the same time the Yautja have had a head start with their technology and even more time to refine it.

You also mentioned that you would be open to seeing the hunting another species but in my opinion it would be kind of odd, obviously we know they do this but translating that into film wont play very well.

When you say you are not for a group of people being hunted by different creatures, I think it's a little too late for that. There has been a crap ton of rip-offs over the years I think the one that comes to mind is Interceptor force.

The Old One

The Old One

The idea an Arcturian is anything but human is absolute nonsense.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 05, 2019, 03:48:13 PM
The idea an Arcturian is anything but human is absolute nonsense.

It was never explored in the films, it was only briefly mentioned. It seems like the only way that something has significance is if it is made to have significance. I commented in a previous answer that it would be hard to put another species in a Predator film being hunted by the Yautja because it is not meant to be the theme of the film even though we know that they do this. The only exception is the film Predators which showed the River Ghost creature but it had no significance for the rest of the film. In the film AVP clearly it made sense because it was tied to the premise of the film but without that all we are ever going to get is a one line sentence.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed