Egg morphing and Alien director's cut can't be canon.

Started by Jonjamess, Nov 14, 2019, 08:29:23 PM

Author
Egg morphing and Alien director's cut can't be canon. (Read 5,687 times)

SM

Quote from: SiL on Nov 16, 2019, 05:50:38 AM
It really doesn't.

http://www.jamescamerononline.com/eggmrph.png

They're not completely dissimilar, but there's a lot more shape and flow to the Aliens hive than the roiling cancerous mess Ripley saw on the Nostromo.

Depends on which part of the hive.  That part not so much.  Others seen in the hive ambush and when Ripley goes back in, more so.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, but surely if Ripley saw crew members being turned into something else, it may be  worth mentioning.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Jonjamess on Nov 14, 2019, 08:29:23 PM
Probably been discussed ages and ages ago but I'm watching Aliens now. Ripley says she doesn't recognise the hive structure. If Ridley's director's cut was canon she would recognise it.

Egg morphing is cool but I can't argue with that.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 16, 2019, 05:50:38 AM
It really doesn't.

http://www.jamescamerononline.com/eggmrph.png

They're not completely dissimilar, but there's a lot more shape and flow to the Aliens hive than the roiling cancerous mess Ripley saw on the Nostromo.

Separating this opinion from us mega fans and our over scruitization... a regular person would definitely look at both as the same. The second scenario would spur recollection of the first, especially to someone who was living it.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, this.

Local Trouble

It also didn't occur to Ripley that the marines were walking into a nest where they'd find the cocooned bodies of the colonists.  If the DC of Alien was canon, then she should have known what to expect as soon as she saw the hive.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, you're correct.

Local Trouble

D-did...did we just reach consensus?

The Old One

The Old One

I guess so.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 16, 2019, 10:09:10 PM
D-did...did we just reach consensus?

Magic 8 ball says it's questionable.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2019, 08:59:16 AM
Depends on which part of the hive.  That part not so much.  Others seen in the hive ambush and when Ripley goes back in, more so.
Right, but wasn't her comment about that part of the hive, if we're keeping with the

Quote from: Drukathi on Nov 15, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
boring and pedantic. ;)
bit ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Hahaha, just so!

FenGiddel

Ripley says in the inquiry in Aliens that Kane "said he saw thousands of eggs there...thousands", implying that the Exec relayed that information (at least to her) in the hours between his re-awakening and his death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m92yvNscIAo

Wouldn't that suggest that Ripley knew about the eggs? Maybe not so much of a leap for her to see Brett's state and connect the dots. After all, she did complete the Company's Horizon Beyond OTP with honors.  ;D

SM

QuoteRight, but wasn't her comment about that part of the hive

Fair.

Ish.

QuoteRipley says in the inquiry in Aliens that Kane "said he saw thousands of eggs there...thousands", implying that the Exec relayed that information (at least to her) in the hours between his re-awakening and his death.

Kane didn't remember anything about the planet, and likely didn't live hours after waking.  20 minutes tops.  I think Ripley was extrapolating from off screen discussions with Dallas or Lambert about what Kane saw regarding a cave full of eggs.

FenGiddel

Well, I'm figuring the time it took to cook that pasta and chop up those squash he's eating, plus plating time. ;).
Maybe I'm giving her "Kane said" too literal a read. In hindsight, I'm sure the writer wasn't thinking so deeply about it to say "Dallas & Lambert" or "my crew" instead.

Local Trouble

Kane told Dallas and Lambert that the ship's hold was "full of leathery objects, like eggs or something."  If one of them told Ripley off-screen that he said that (assuming it was relayed to her verbatim), she may have just embellished with the numerical estimate based on the size of the derelict.

Or something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed