The Predator: Hunters And Hunted Official Movie Prequel

Started by felix, Dec 13, 2017, 09:51:09 PM

Author
The Predator: Hunters And Hunted Official Movie Prequel (Read 49,575 times)

Corporal Hicks

Not by name but it's inferred that both want nothing to do with Stargazer. Predator 2 does get mentioned fairly frequently, though.

Wweyland

Does the book end on a cliffhanger and flow directly into the movie/other book?

Corporal Hicks

No loose threads or anything. Mostly just setting up the world and situation as we're going to find it.

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2018, 07:10:28 PM
Will get a proper review written up this week but I just finished it. In short, another solid Predator novel. Not my favourite but still really enjoyable.

Spoiler
Some really enjoyable world-building and some character stuff I always like seeing played with (PTSD). It did sort of shift gears a bit towards the middle and we started to get randomers who felt like they should have been introduced well well before. It course corrects soon enough though.

The Predator was brutal. He took a f**king beating and he gave a f**king beating. I did have one fan/lore complaint with him though. Some pretty cool imagery. While I enjoyed the Reapers, would have enjoyed some more time with the movie characters, Keyes in particular.
[close]

All in all a good book. Should get us all in the mood for The Predator quite nicely.

Spoiler
World-building, as in the agencies within the human world?  Are there any other alien species introduced or does it just stick with Predators?  I always hope for some mention of Arcturians, especially since the Rage War novels...
[close]

black

The first part of the book is available on Google Books.

The Old One

The Old One

The Arcturians as they're described in the Rage War novels are beyond insipid.

The "Arcturians" should simply be a human colony with a high percentage of intersex people on a planet orbiting Arcturus.
Turning them into Asari doesn't fit the lonely universe Alien presents and I believe the actual intention of the line in Aliens is more a suggestion of a further parallel in James Cameron's Vietnam allegory; where treating another race as subhuman because they were different, was either not acknowledged as heinous or perhaps even encouraged by military superiors.

Not because they were literal Aliens, that seems so banal to infer that in expanded media.

Wysps

Nah, I like to view them as another species altogether - a species that humans happened upon by chance that doesn't necessarily help or hurt their survival.  I don't know what Asari is, so I can't speak to that.  But I'd prefer a universe that has more than Aliens and Predators in it, though not necessarily other beings that will get involved in our troubles (to prevent it from getting too overloaded with beings a la Mass Effect or Halo.  This is a horror genre.)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Wysps on Jul 20, 2018, 05:11:19 PM
Nah, I like to view them as another species altogether - a species that humans happened upon by chance that doesn't necessarily help or hurt their survival.  I don't know what Asari is, so I can't speak to that.  But I'd prefer a universe that has more than Aliens and Predators in it, though not necessarily other beings that will get involved in our troubles (to prevent it from getting too overloaded with beings a la Mass Effect or Halo.  This is a horror genre.)

Sorry but no- sentient life that doesn't want to kill us doesn't belong in Alien.
AWFUL choice to infer they are an Alien species.

It's as bad for the lore as giving the Predalien dreadlocks is as a design decision.

You want to dump AVP into a garbage pile lower than AVPR, that's how you do it- start cramming the universe full of human-likes.

Wysps

Well, my post sorta said the exact opposite - to not cram it full of other alien life, but it'd be realistic to expect there to be other alien species out there in the universe. Especially since we've already been introduced to three, visually.

426Buddy

I like the Alien universe to be lonely and cold. I like to see humans as the only intelligent species around. Any other species should be shown as long dead and ancient. Having ththe predators is cool but still feels odd for the universe established in ALIEN.

Wysps

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 20, 2018, 06:01:16 PM
I like the Alien universe to be lonely and cold. I like to see humans as the only intelligent species around. Any other species should be shown as long dead and ancient. Having ththe predators is cool but still feels odd for the universe established in ALIEN.

Yes, I'd actually like to see the idea incorporated more in the Predator side of things (this is a Predator related thread.) I thought it was great seeing the other species in Predators - I can imagine that some of the creatures they brought to the planet were sapient/sentient to some degree.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 20, 2018, 06:01:16 PM
I like the Alien universe to be lonely and cold. I like to see humans as the only intelligent species around.
Any other species should be shown as long dead and ancient. Having the predators is cool but still feels odd for the universe established in ALIEN.

Indeed, the only way the Predator works in regards to AVP or being tonally consistent with ALIEN is as they are portrayed in Monolith's AVP, to me- insular, sparse, ancient, ritualistic, lost but never close to something you can understand.
Even if Rykov perceived Prince's hunt on him as a matter of vengeance we should never know.

The Predator should be the mysterious outlier, as contradictory in character as his technology and primitive culture is.

OpenMaw

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 20, 2018, 06:32:23 PM
The Predator should be the mysterious outlier, as contradictory in character as his technology and primitive culture is.

One of the best parts of Briggs script is that he emphasizes their contradictory nature. "They look like bushmen decked out in sophisticated hunting equipment." And the like.

The whole Arcturian's are aliens thing is actually rather sickening when you understand Camereon's intent with the line. Like was stated previously he was drawing Vietnam Parallels there.

IE, this was basically like that one scene in Full Metal Jacket where Joker tells his buddy Rafterman "Half these gook whores are servicing the Vietcong, the other half have TB. So make sure you only f**k the ones that cough."

IE: The Arcturian colony is full of sub-human trash, and it doesn't matter if they're transexuals, dudes, or chicks. Maybe it's like space Chicago or something...

The Old One

The Old One

Yes my man.

Still Collating...

Agreed. Like that more than them being alien species.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed