Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5

Started by Darkness, Aug 17, 2015, 06:26:52 PM

Author
Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5 (Read 45,159 times)

XenoHunter99

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 18, 2015, 02:55:54 PM
Well what I'm referring to is a couple of occasions in the Prometheus making of doc where the artists say "we told Ridley not to change the Space Jockey design......."

I think it was easier to do that without Giger sitting right there. But it's not like Giger was allergic to changes. He thought the alien queen was a brilliant addition to the family. Still, I think the Space Jockey was more interesting as this enigmatic creature grown into his chair. Proportionally, the original design didn't seem to leave room for legs. So, unless he had tentacles or something, it seems more likely that guy didn't move around a lot.

Perfect-Organism

I think the exclusion of Giger was a sacrilege on par with killing off Hicks and Newt off screen.  Giger's seminal design is the linchpin around which the entire Alien series pivots.  Without Giger's Alien and derelict designs, the film would have been no more than a B-movie.  It's a shame about how he was treated.  Giger should have been involved in every Alien movie.  There's just no accounting for class in Hollywood.  I bet you they dedicate Prometheus 2 to Giger.

Really looking forward to Prometheus 2 and hope that we go back to more of a Gigeresque look.

Corporal Hicks

I think it was a move away from the biomechnical. I don't think Giger's lack was a significant involvement was killer - he was an old fellow and not really doing movies - but it was the move away from his style. I can't remember where I read it but I remember something Max wanting to do something more natural - hence all the rocky appearances - and less biomechanical. There was some fabulous biomechnical concepts for Prometheus that showed they could have done it more appriopriately. I always forget the fella's name - Gutalin, I think it was.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Aug 18, 2015, 03:19:43 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 18, 2015, 02:55:54 PM
Well what I'm referring to is a couple of occasions in the Prometheus making of doc where the artists say "we told Ridley not to change the Space Jockey design......."

I think it was easier to do that without Giger sitting right there. But it's not like Giger was allergic to changes. He thought the alien queen was a brilliant addition to the family. Still, I think the Space Jockey was more interesting as this enigmatic creature grown into his chair. Proportionally, the original design didn't seem to leave room for legs. So, unless he had tentacles or something, it seems more likely that guy didn't move around a lot.

This has nothing to do with Giger. What I'm saying is that the designers who worked on Prometheus actually told Ridley to his face that it would be a bad idea to change the original Space Jockey design because it was so good. Ridley insisted they change it the generic tall man design that we got.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 18, 2015, 04:31:32 PM
This has nothing to do with Giger. What I'm saying is that the designers who worked on Prometheus actually told Ridley to his face that it would be a bad idea to change the original Space Jockey design because it was so good. Ridley insisted they change it the generic tall man design that we got.

Those artists that worked on Prometheus, those guys didn't matter. Sorry, but they didn't. Their opinions carried no weight at all. They were hired to do what Ridley Scott told them to do. Scott had no reason to do anything they said. And I doubt even Giger's presence would have changed the outcome.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Aug 18, 2015, 04:49:43 PM

Those artists that worked on Prometheus, those guys didn't matter. Sorry, but they didn't. Their opinions carried no weight at all. They were hired to do what Ridley Scott told them to do. Scott had no reason to do anything they said. And I doubt even Giger's presence would have changed the outcome.

No he doesn't HAVE to take their suggestions on board but he might think twice when A LOT of them say something is a bad idea.
Scott's last batch of films would be much much better if he didn't rush through the productions shitting out these line production movies.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 18, 2015, 05:44:00 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Aug 18, 2015, 04:49:43 PM

No he doesn't HAVE to take their suggestions on board but he might think twice when A LOT of them say something is a bad idea.
Scott's last batch of films would be much much better if he didn't rush through the productions shitting out these line production movies.

Yes, it makes sense to think that; but Hollywood people may not be that reasonable. I think Scott's mind was made up by that point. As for his other movies, I suppose he's making the movies he wants to make, and maybe he's working faster because he's aware of his own mortality.

darkvegett0

Just curious what do you want to see in Prometheus 2?? More drama or more scenery because that's all I saw for 2.5 hrs with some philosophy class in the foreground

whiterabbit

I just want answers baby.

hfeldhaus

Hopefully this delay will give Blomkamp time to realise he should hire someone to write Alien 5 for him. And realise it would be better if he cast aside Ripley and Hicks to create an original film.

Prometheus 2 should have been put into production atleast a year ago. The first built up a lot of good faith but that's diminished for me.

Beatnation

Hope Fox realize the big mistake they're doing letting Blomhack touch the Alien franchise, after FF4 bombs I guess they wanted to test the field Prometheus 2, a sure money maker.

T Dog

T Dog

Ultramorph

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 19, 2015, 12:32:38 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/nbsowy.png

Makes me suspect that the "Prometheus 2 starts filming in January" thing is just another rumor.

Corporal Hicks

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Ultramorph on Aug 19, 2015, 12:36:51 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 19, 2015, 12:32:38 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/nbsowy.png

Makes me suspect that the "Prometheus 2 starts filming in January" thing is just another rumor.

Well it was stated as a start date in a reputable magazine when they were interviewing Ridley so it's assumed it came straight from him.

Only other scenario I can think of is that Blomkamp will be doing both movies or combining the ideas into one big story which I'd be totally fine with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed