Predator: Dark Ages.

Started by Tally101, May 16, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

Author
Predator: Dark Ages. (Read 54,710 times)

Darkness

Darkness

To be honest if you look back at the original Predator, the vision mode effects weren't that great - they were a lot more refined in Predator 2. Those movies and AvPs do have the voice mimic thing on the vision mode too but it's not every single shot and it generally looked better in the movies.

I think they could have got away with not including the voice graphics in this as the Predator really wasn't interested in what they were saying.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

I see what you mean. Maybe he was recording and uploading the voices to process and utilize in a future hunt, who knows?

I agree with you on the Predator vision in the first film, while it may be a classic, the effects really improve in later films. "Predators" shows just how detailed their vision really is, even Berserker's unmasked vision can see in far greater detail than the first Predator could. I think that in-universe, Anytime's vision would've been pretty "detailed" (still tricky for the human eye to follow) but the effects couldn't show it that well at that time.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They responded to your critique on Facebook btw Darkness:

QuoteThanks for the kind words and we're so happy he liked it. Hopefully will go down as well tomorrow at the premiere. A good point too about the voice waves. We was hoping to do one final thing regarding that but alas it wasn't meant to be. You'll see tomorrow we've actually removed for the same ressons.

Darkness

Darkness

Removed what?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I assume they mean the voice waves.

Darkness

Darkness

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I gave in and watched this tonight! Simply the best fanfilm we've had out of this community. I'll get a more detailed review up over the weekend.

Darkness

Darkness

It's online now:

robbritton

robbritton

Having just watched, I would say this is the most impressive Predator fan film since Batman: Dead End. It looks absolutely gorgeous and the performance from the lead is very convincing. Niggles are minor: the usual slightly wonky acting from the rest of the cast, and the referring to lines from the original thing is pretty wearying. Other than that, great stuff.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: robbritton on May 26, 2015, 10:12:24 AM
the referring to lines from the original thing is pretty wearying.

This is normally a massive annoyance to me and I only noticed the one. Did you catch more than one?

gabgrave

gabgrave

I must say this was a really enjoyable watch! Kudos to the team! This is really one of the best made predator fan-film out there.
The only thing better would be a pred film set during the Viet war, with a SOG group hunting for their prey...and being hunted in return.

robbritton

robbritton

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 26, 2015, 10:27:49 AM

This is normally a massive annoyance to me and I only noticed the one. Did you catch more than one?

They were variants rather than straight cribs, but they played on the
Spoiler
"if it bleeds we can kill it" thing, the "mother of god" and "ain't no way for no soldier to die" upon finding the skinned bodies thing, "Demon!" was shouted with the same inflection as whatever Mac shouts before he unloads with the mini gun (in both cases after seeing the eye flash) and also Anna's "sometimes worse, sometimes much, much worse" bit was obliquely referenced by Sied.
[close]
They're nothing that would even be noticed by someone not entrenched in the history of the films, so perhaps the fault lies with me, but I still don't understand why modern scripts deem it neccessary. Bring new quotability to the series!

I must stress though, that it really was a minor quibble. Overall I thought it was grand.

Mike

Mike

I wonder if Shane Blacks sequel will be Predator:1718 The famous Rapheal Adolini story of a captain of a small crew along the Bermuda Triangle that the Pred encountered.

rexemmen

rexemmen

Some very nice work!!!!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: robbritton on May 26, 2015, 11:48:36 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 26, 2015, 10:27:49 AM

They were variants rather than straight cribs, but they played on the
Spoiler
"if it bleeds we can kill it" thing, the "mother of god" and "ain't no way for no soldier to die" upon finding the skinned bodies thing, "Demon!" was shouted with the same inflection as whatever Mac shouts before he unloads with the mini gun (in both cases after seeing the eye flash) and also Anna's "sometimes worse, sometimes much, much worse" bit was obliquely referenced by Sied.
[close]
They're nothing that would even be noticed by someone not entrenched in the history of the films, so perhaps the fault lies with me, but I still don't understand why modern scripts deem it neccessary. Bring new quotability to the series!

I must stress though, that it really was a minor quibble. Overall I thought it was grand.

Ah - none of that bothered me as it wasn't a straight rip. It was changed subtly enough to not be intrusive and fit within the scenes, rather than the scene around the homage. I can't stand forced re-used dialogue - looking at your AvPs and Predators!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed