Prometheus Teaser Trailer Analysis

Started by Darkness, Dec 23, 2011, 06:01:26 PM

Author
Prometheus Teaser Trailer Analysis (Read 57,308 times)

Glaive

Glaive

How do you know these aren't the consequences of pre-ALIEN hypersleep?

...or have you seen Fassbender in ''Shame''?

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Glaive on Dec 30, 2011, 07:40:02 PM
How do you know these aren't the consequences of pre-ALIEN hypersleep?

...or have you seen Fassbender in ''Shame''?

Lol your confusing me. Why would pre-Alien hypersleep make you bloody? That doesn't explain why we see one of the guy characters sitting in bed looking like he just slept with a fat chick without wearing protection. And No I havin't seen Fassbender in "Shame"

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Dec 30, 2011, 07:26:35 PM
Bro, I'm talking about Prometheus, not Alien.  Besides was it ever explicity stated that the Xeno actually "raped" Lambert?
By the authors? Not that I know of. Ridley Scott never said a word on the matter, and instead always had the intention of having Lambert dying of fear.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 30, 2011, 07:53:13 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Dec 30, 2011, 07:26:35 PM
Bro, I'm talking about Prometheus, not Alien.  Besides was it ever explicity stated that the Xeno actually "raped" Lambert?
By the authors? Not that I know of. Ridley Scott never said a word on the matter, and instead always had the intention of having Lambert dying of fear.

Huh??  Did Ridley Scott ever say this somewhere ????

We don't see how Lambert dies...all we hear are her fear induced exhalations/hyperventilations, followed by a blood curdling scream.  For all we know, the Alien ripped her bloody head right off of her shoulders.  Another possible interpretation is that there is some sort of venom in the tip of the Alien's tail (stinger) that could incapacitate or paralyze it's victim (obviously, Dallas was taken alive)...possibly in order to preserve him as a living host for the cocooning process?  Although, on that score, the Alien must get failing marks for Brett.  I'm pretty sure getting a telescoping projectile jaw shot straight into your cranium is going to cause more then a headache.

In any case, of all the myriad possible interpretations of Lambert's eventual fate...the idea that she "died of fear" never made it on my radar screen.  And while I can't be absolutely certain, my guess is that it was NOT Ridley Scott's intention for the audience to be left with the impression that Lambert died from sheer fright.

Xenomorphine

The decision to replace the Brett tail scene with Lambert and hearing those very suggestive noises of pain and hyperventilating over the speakers, was a deliberate editing decision by the director.

It's obvious what he wants to imply to our psychology, as viewers.

Whether or not he'd want to clarify that it's actually what happened, I don't know, I think he'd prefer to leave it as mysteriously ambiguous, but with a deliberate insinuation to make it feel unsettling.

The entire film is full of sexual subtext, after all. That was just one of the more clear-cut examples, that's all.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: deuterium on Dec 30, 2011, 09:01:26 PM
Clickity. Go to the Lambert section.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 30, 2011, 09:12:59 PM

LOL.  Well I be dipped in butter!  Excuse me, there is a plate of crow waiting for me in my fridge.  ;D

This now constitutes the THIRD time that Ridley has flummoxed and flabergasted me.

The first is when I learned he always intended
Spoiler
Decker to be a replicant
[close]

The second is when I heard about his whole idea with regards to the Space Jockey being a "guy in a suit" concept.

And now I learn that in Ridley's imagination/universe, Lambert's death is due to fright induced heart attack.  C'mon...I mean does that actually happen in real life.  I mean, I would love to see an official Coroner's report for Cause of Death ==> Severe Fright.  Doesn't say much to our Evolutionary adaptation of the "Fight or Flight" response to threats.  I don't think Homo sapiens, as a species, would have gotten very far if every time we saw a lion or tiger or bear, we instantly keeled over.

Although, in my half-hearted defense, Ridley's comments (from that site) could be construed as just him being rather "cheeky".  I mean it is possible he was being rather "tongue and cheek" with those comments, and that he didn't intend on being taken literally.

I mean, seriously, can't you see him having a little bit of fun, when saying something like this:

QuoteIn a separate interview with Danny Peary, Scott said: 'You'd probably die before the thing touched you anyway. I mean, you'd have a heart attack, right? You'd turn and see it and last about four seconds before you had a coronary, okay.'

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's very Lovecraftian if you think about it. Some of the Alert sailors died of fear when they saw Cthulhu rising from the R'lyeh portal; Johansen, while he was able to resist, had his hair turned white from blond. Just the first example that popped in my mind.

And the Jockey suit thing is actually an idea he came up with some years ago, I think. The original concept had it being an actual creature fused to its chair.

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: deuterium on Dec 30, 2011, 09:30:46 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 30, 2011, 09:12:59 PM

LOL.  Well I be dipped in butter!  Excuse me, there is a plate of crow waiting for me in my fridge.  ;D

This now constitutes the THIRD time that Ridley has flummoxed and flabergasted me.

The first is when I learned he always intended
Spoiler
Decker to be a replicant
[close]

The second is when I heard about his whole idea with regards to the Space Jockey being a "guy in a suit" concept.

And now I learn that in Ridley's imagination/universe, Lambert's death is due to fright induced heart attack.  C'mon...I mean does that actually happen in real life.  I mean, I would love to see an official Coroner's report for Cause of Death ==> Severe Fright.  Doesn't say much to our Evolutionary adaptation of the "Fight or Flight" response to threats.  I don't think Homo sapiens, as a species, would have gotten very far if every time we saw a lion or tiger or bear, we instantly keeled over.

Although, in my half-hearted defense, Ridley's comments (from that site) could be construed as just him being rather "cheeky".  I mean it is possible he was being rather "tongue and cheek" with those comments, and that he didn't intend on being taken literally.

I mean, seriously, can't you see him having a little bit of fun, when saying something like this:

QuoteIn a separate interview with Danny Peary, Scott said: 'You'd probably die before the thing touched you anyway. I mean, you'd have a heart attack, right? You'd turn and see it and last about four seconds before you had a coronary, okay.'

i'll just leave this here for you...
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=scared-to-death-heart-attack

thanks

rich

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 30, 2011, 09:40:29 PM

thanks

rich

Rich, the link isn't opening up for me.  I suppose it must be confirmation that someone can indeed suffer a fear-induced heart attack.  Yes, I am sure it can happen, but it certainly would be classified as "rare" or very uncommon, yes?  Also, there is always the question of pre-existing condition contributing to the coronary...such as heart disease or genetic predisposition for stress induced arrythmia, such as Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

With that said, if an ALIEN jumped out of my closet right now, I probably would be that one in a million person who would drop dead from sheer fright.  Such would be my luck.  ;D

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: deuterium on Dec 30, 2011, 10:28:41 PM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 30, 2011, 09:40:29 PM

thanks

rich

Rich, the link isn't opening up for me.  I suppose it must be confirmation that someone can indeed suffer a fear-induced heart attack.  Yes, I am sure it can happen, but it certainly would be classified as "rare" or very uncommon, yes?  Also, there is always the question of pre-existing condition contributing to the coronary...such as heart disease or genetic predisposition for stress induced arrythmia, such as Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.

With that said, if an ALIEN jumped out of my closet right now, I probably would be that one in a million person who would drop dead from sheer fright.  Such would be my luck.  ;D

hmm, its working ok for me!. and yes its confirming it, and explaining how it happens, but yes, people with heart conditions are at a higher risk but it can happen to anyone!.

there was a similar case of instant death in england back in the 90s, there was a gangland execution of 3 drug dealers, when the police informed one of the victims fathers he died instantly from heart attack brought on by an emotional response exactly the same as how the fear response works.

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

Fear induced heart attacks are actually fairly common, or, commonly reported...in a situation where you're dealing with an alien creature, I can't imagine any other scenario happening.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Link finally worked for me.  Not sure what the problem was.  Interesting article.

My only reservation/qualification in you last reply is "that it can happen to anyone".  Well, yes, in the general sense that no one necessarily knows if they have won (or lost, maybe more appropriately) the genetic lottery, and just so happen to have certain genetic allele(s) that cause the adrenal glands to over-produce epinephrine...at levels enough to put the heart into a deadly arrythmia.  I mean, getting struck by lightning "can happen to anyone", as well.

Look these reports are rare, and many times anecdotal.  While the MD's can explain the causitive chain of physiological events that could trigger such an episode for a person who is genetically predisposed, I don't think there is any peer-reviewed studies into this phenomena, nor real statistics.  And since the general news isn't replete with reports of ordinary people falling dead in their tracks after witnessing and/or experiencing incredibly stressful or frightning situations, I think we can file this away as "possible, but extremely, extremely rare".

ThisBethesdaSea

What matters is that it's WAY within the confines of "can happen, has happened" so I think this is a moot point?

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 30, 2011, 11:25:06 PM
Fear induced heart attacks are actually fairly common, or, commonly reported...in a situation where you're dealing with an alien creature, I can't imagine any other scenario happening.

Look I realize we are getting off topic, but sometimes a lot of interesting shit is discussed when things go off on a tangent.  This is a case in point.  Heck, that is why I love this forum/site.  We can be talking about one thing one moment, and someone brings up something interesting or intriguing, and then things veer off on a new tangent.  Never a dull moment.

Anyways, just playing "devils advocate" here.  It is funny to imagine dropping dead from sheer terror at being suddenly confronted by an Alien.  I mean, it is nightmare fuel, after all.  But with that said, it didn't happen to Brett, it didn't happen to Dallas, it didn't happen to Parker, it didn't happen to Ripley.  Yet somehow, Ridley Scott titillates us with reported comments that it probably happened to Lambert.  And if it could happen to anyone, I guess it would be Lambert.  She was already reeling on the edge of a full blown panic attack through most of the movie.

Anyways, like I said, interesting to discuss, in any event.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 30, 2011, 11:42:33 PM
What matters is that it's WAY within the confines of "can happen, has happened" so I think this is a moot point?

I guess that is my cue to get back on topic.  Point taken.    :(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed