Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders

Started by LastSurvivor92, Apr 12, 2014, 08:41:08 AM

Author
Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders (Read 75,636 times)

RazorSlash

I have depression. It comes and goes. Chronic depression, I guess. I was told "clinical depression", but googling that brings "Major Depressive Disorder", and that just sounds really bad so I try not to call it that. I sought help for a while, saw a psychotherapist. It worked for a while but recently it's just been coming back. I haven't told my therapist that yet. I probably should.

It's apparently obvious when I'm going through something, because I've been told my depression tends to make me act out of character in a variety of different ways. Sometimes I get a bit on edge, sometimes I lash out at people, sometimes I refuse to actually do anything, and sometimes I tend to just go completely unresponsive.

On another note, in some weird twist of fate, simply having some form of depression contributes to my depression. It makes me question whether or not I truly have a disorder, or if I'm simply aware of where I am in life.  :-\

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: RazorSlash on Apr 18, 2014, 09:36:27 PM
I have depression. It comes and goes. Chronic depression, I guess. I was told "clinical depression", but googling that brings "Major Depressive Disorder", and that just sounds really bad so I try not to call it that. I sought help for a while, saw a psychotherapist. It worked for a while but recently it's just been coming back. I haven't told my therapist that yet. I probably should.

It's apparently obvious when I'm going through something, because I've been told my depression tends to make me act out of character in a variety of different ways. Sometimes I get a bit on edge, sometimes I lash out at people, sometimes I refuse to actually do anything, and sometimes I tend to just go completely unresponsive.

On another note, in some weird twist of fate, simply having some form of depression contributes to my depression. It makes me question whether or not I truly have a disorder, or if I'm simply aware of where I am in life.  :-\

Thanks for sharing man :) Depression can easily be taken care of with one antidepressant not 5 medications like some took or said they needed. I'm surprised your Psychotherapist has not recommended any medication. Especially if you were formally diagnosed with clinical depression. I would advise that you talk to her about it man. Zoloft is a great antidepressant because its been known to have way less sideeffects than Prozac for example and anitdepressants have come a long way. You should talk to a Psychiatrist who could easily prescribe a antidepressant that takes off that edge and irritability. I know exactly where your coming from man. I have Cyclothymic Disorder and only 0.1% to 0.4% of population even has this disorder but its when you feel deeply depressed for a couple of hours and than you get maniac or feel extremely good for a couple hours and it fluxuates back and forth. It kind of sucks man. My doctor told me that if I don't treat this disorder with medication that it could eventually develop into Bipolar Disorder.

Vickers

I'm on Cymgen 60mg and Wellbutrin XL 300mg. Both work well for me but they aren't covered by medical aid here.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Vickers on Apr 19, 2014, 04:25:16 PM
I'm on Cymgen 60mg and Wellbutrin XL 300mg. Both work well for me but they aren't covered by medical aid here.

Cool, how do they work for you?

Vickers

Well, they help me cope with clinical depression better and aid me in functioning throughout the day. They don't completely eradicate the depression but they do help a great deal.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

When did medication become so prevalent, does anyone know? I only ask because up until a year or so ago I never knew so many people were taking so many drugs to help with various situations

Vepariga

depressing that my story was the only one not noticed..like usual.

dunno why i try some days.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Vepariga on Apr 12, 2014, 09:54:35 AM
When I moved to Brisbane and got in a relationship that went sour,I had really bad anxiety. I would feel panicky about my future. As soon as I broke up with her,and left Brisbane to return to my home city I felt better but I had periods of anxiety panic attacks if I was in public for too long. If i was in a shopping center for more then a breif moment my heart would race,I would feel extremely dizzy like I was going to fall over and I had to run to the door to get out. It was scary,Its like you feel like your going to die or something if you dont leave. I hate it. I hated myself for quite a while.

Then I just made myself do it,I stayed in public for longer on purpose. I got panicky but I stayed,controlled my breathing and tried to stay calm. I eventually got over it. I still feel the anxious feeling creep on me now and then but no where near as bad as I used to have it. Now I can control it and it hasnt bothered me since. I feel,free.

Its a terrible thing to go through tho and now that i have been there and worked through it I can comfort my friends that have are going through the same thing.

I've actually been through something quite similar in my first relationship, what added salt to it was she was much older that me (Five years) and even if I wanted to talk about how my therapy was going, she wasn't interested, it was the most hollow feeling to have someone treat you as the centre of their world to then look upon you with complete apathy.
And I had the worst anxiety whenever I was reminded of her and triggers that made me almost violent.

You're not alone in that type of experience.

Vickers

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 23, 2014, 05:57:06 AM
When did medication become so prevalent, does anyone know? I only ask because up until a year or so ago I never knew so many people were taking so many drugs to help with various situations

When advances in medicine were made and different kinds of depression could be controlled with medication.

I don't know, just a wild guess.

BANE

Doctors tend to prescribe medicine when even the mildest of symptoms show up, because most MD's don't really understand mental illness and just want to get through patients.

Vickers

I know that happens but in some cases people really do need the medication and it really does help. And there are a lot of people struggling with severe depression, bipolar etc. who aren't on any kind of medication and should be.

BANE

Well yes, some people do get the medicine they need, which is great and the reason it's available. But there is still alot of unnecessary prescribing going on.

In terms of the people who need to be but aren't medicated, there's also the fact that alot of people with depression are unwilling to seek out help. Which is a fairly ominous sign in terms of their personality making the depression worse (i.e they want to struggle alone or don't want to bother others by asking for help).

Vickers

Yeah, it's complicated. And each case is different.

The only thing I hate is that some people are so quick to write off medication. They should be having an issue with the psychiatrists/GPs who are so quick to prescribe medication without proper visits and sessions to evaluate the patient. Not with the medication itself which clearly does help many.

And not all psychiatrists, psychologists and GPs are bad. (I know you're not saying that, BANE. Just annoyed with the stigma.)

Aspie

rargghhhhhh anxiety medicine not working tonight

paranoia is setting in

Cvalda

THEY'RE LISTENING ASPIE

THEY'RE COMING

Spoiler
[hug]
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed