Potential for an AvP Novel

Started by MKnightium, May 02, 2020, 03:40:04 AM

Author
Potential for an AvP Novel (Read 641 times)

MKnightium

MKnightium

I legitimately forgot I had an account here. Like, I went to register to post and comment here, only to remember I made an account here at least ten years ago...or probably even further back. I need to check my profile and tweak it when I'm done writing this out.

Hence the subject, I recently sent an inquiry to Dark Horse about prose and, apparently, they still accept prose submissions, so I'm brainstorming and working on a novel to send over to them and see what they thing. I "have" something in mind, but I'm worried it's too over the top, and DH may potentially decline it because of that, so I thought it'd be a good idea to ask the fans directly, would you prefer something unique, yet over the top, or something "grounded", like the games have been?

I'd also like to speak to someone and, in a sense, vent about what I have so far. Get feedback and determine if the idea's crap so I can reformat it early, as opposed to finishing the book and learning it's crap.

Also, apologies for the formatting and wording. I should've spent some time really thinking about how I wanted to word this, but...then I'd be here all night. My mind's weird...

SiL

SiL

The Rage War trilogy was pretty out there by franchise standards, so it would really depends on what you think over the top is.

I don't fancy your chances with an AvP novel though. Licensing is all saints of messed up with the switchover to Disney and they don't seem to be actively pursuing AvP content at the moment.

SM

SM

Titan is your best bet for prose rather than Dark Horse, but I don't imagine they accept unsolicited submissions.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 02, 2020, 06:38:03 AM
Titan is your best bet for prose rather than Dark Horse, but I don't imagine they accept unsolicited submissions.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on May 02, 2020, 06:38:03 AM

Indeed. Dark Horse has nothing to do with Alien/Predator prose these days, and even if they did they used to say submit a really good pitch for something completely unrelated to Alien or Predator and just make sure you prominently state that you're a fan of Alien and Predator.

But I imagine Titan will be like any creative entity and just throwaway any unsolicited submissions. You got to do it properly, through an agent.

SiL

SiL

That said I'm'm definitely down to give feedback.

MKnightium

MKnightium

Alright, need to figure out again how to make the fourm give me pings when people comment.

Anyhow, I've spoken to both Titan and DH about this, and so far, chances remain dismal all around.

From what I was told from Titan, the best I can do is send them my resume and a list of all my relevant writing projects, and there's a slight chance I could get called for that. But they informed me this could take a long time; days, weeks, perhaps even months. Maybe even years. 

As for DH, as said, they accept prose, so they may still accept AvP content, provided my idea's enough to really wow them, as I'm trying to do something different. But, as I've learned often in my time, different doesn't equate to good. Just...well different. 

But, yeah, the AvP rights are currently a mess right now, with Fox getting absorbed into Disney and with DIsney's current works I doubt they'll treat the franchise much better, as shameful as that is. So, from what I've speculated, DH is my best shot, whereas with Titan, the chances are almost less than zero, if that were remotely possible.

At the very least, I still want to give it a go. Worst case, it goes nowhere and I post it onto a fanfiction site so people can still enjoy the work I put in. Once I figure out how to PM properly, and get the rough summary composed, I'll send it to whoever wants to hear me out and judge if it's a good idea or not.

MKnightium

MKnightium

I've viewed the video that was linked, and it made a series of good points about what I should do. So, it does mean unfortunately shelving my goal for the time, I can use my time networking and building an audience to brainstorm for it and iron out details and get an outline while I work on publishing my original fiction anywhere I can. So, thanks for the honest feedback. Now, I may have a new tactic in mind.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed