Questions for Mark Verheiden

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 06, 2020, 08:01:37 AM

Author
Questions for Mark Verheiden (Read 1,171 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If you could do it all over again (all three volumes), what would you change?

SM

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 07, 2020, 11:57:30 AM
Well, Sam Kieth did very much go above and beyond in redeeming himself with Inhuman Condition which, if you ask me, is was one the very best Aliens comics ever released.

Nah that was awful too.  Story was cool but the art - yikes...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

SM does not dig Sam Kieth's style.

SM

SM

Indeed.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2020, 01:35:22 AM
Well, Sam Kieth did very much go above and beyond in redeeming himself with Inhuman Condition which, if you ask me, is was one the very best Aliens comics ever released.

You don't think it works as distorted view of reality based on her mindset?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

-Your Aliens stories were the first to originate now familiar themes like ecstatic alien cultists, and the idea of a cloying subconscious influence that the presence of Aliens naturally elicit in humans. Can you tell us how the inspiration to introduce those elements first came about?

-Your comics for Aliens and Predator have had such a massive influence on so many stories that have subsequently come along and really fleshed out the universes, have you read any of these other stories, and if so, which ones have stood out to you the most?

-Did you have any input into further adaptations of your work, like the Perry novels, or what eventually became the script for Predator 2, or were those developments pretty far removed from you?

-1991 saw the publication of John Arcudi's story "The Alien", as a followup to your trilogy with regards to the Space Jockey thread left dangling, do you recall having a different resolution or progression to this story in mind? If so, can you tell us about it?

-With the 2019 adaptations of William Gibson's Alien 3 into a comic and an audio production by Dirk Maggs, the beloved characters of Newt and Hicks found a new lease on life in the franchise set in a slightly alternate universe, one potentially fitting right in with the universe portrayed in your stories. Have you ever been approached to have your stories likewise adapted to audio, or if not, would you be interested in hearing fully dramatized adaptations of them?

...and some final ultimate nerd questions...

-How long had Doctor Orona been working on the Alien project with the military and where do you imagine he got most of his info regarding the species?
-What's the real story behind the Junket? Did you ever formulate any clear ideas about how the ship originally found the "homeworld" from book one, what exactly went down when they did find it, and whether someone sent them out to that world on purpose or if it was purely accidental?

Thanks again! You rock!

Kradan

Kradan

Oh, man - you're really a dedicated one. Hicks, you meed to include few of these ^^^

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 09, 2020, 07:36:57 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2020, 01:35:22 AM

You don't think it works as distorted view of reality based on her mindset?

Abso-f'king-lutely, it was a total mind trip, as if it were thematically and stylistically taken right from the pages of the Maxx. Plus, the scope of the franchise had become much broader and more artistically diverse by the time Inhuman Condition came out. The surrealistic tone of the story and the 22 years worth of development to Kieth's iconic and distinctive style made for a much better result. Earth War was a much too literal story for his exaggerated style and the fandom was not prepared for such a dramatic stylistic shift, consequently it was received in much the same way that Resurrection ultimately was, not quite palatable for many. I'm glad he got a second chance to work on a project in the franchise better suited to his noteworthy talents, opinions to the contrary aside.

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 12, 2020, 06:57:24 AM
Oh, man - you're really a dedicated one. Hicks, you meed to include few of these ^^^

A nutter some say. It's a blessing and a curse.

Corporal Hicks

I've actually already recorded I'm afraid. A lot of what Kase suggested I did ask in some form or another though. Going to lock this thread now, but keep an eye out for Alien Day when this one goes up!  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed