From Film to Fiction: Creating the Alien Franchise’s Literary Canon

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 23, 2020, 02:47:22 PM

Author
From Film to Fiction: Creating the Alien Franchise’s Literary Canon (Read 1,293 times)

Still Collating...

I've read the first trilogy of novels and AVP Prey and I must say I really don't like how the Perrys wrote the aliens. Constantly bombarding us with how dumb they are, like bugs, like dogs and if I remember correctly, in Prey they added that humans were a more dangerous prey than the aliens, that was not included in the comic. The aliens have felt so degraded in those novels. Some of the writing was very interesting, but the aliens' treatment always bugged me. As much as I hate River of Pain for the huge (and some really avoidable) continuity problems, most of the characters were written very well and the aliens were treated with huge respect.

Haven't read the rest of S. D. Perry's work though, will be checking out Labyrinth soon. Also plan to read MotS and Rouge, having read the comics already.
I liked Echo a lot, hope to see the author and more women writers again soon. 

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2020, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2020, 12:36:58 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Mar 24, 2020, 06:16:02 PM
Alien "Hive Earth" ?

I chuckled too.

Quoteditto the fact that no women have written any Titan novels as of yet. What gives?

I hadn't really considered that until this report. We've had some female authors in the anthologies, but no full lengths which is a huge shame.

Being a privileged white male, I hadn't thought about that either.  Odd when you consider the history of SD Perry, Ann Crispin, Yvonne Navarro, Diane Carey and more recently Mira Grant.

I think he meant Titan novels specifically.

SM

I know what he meant - hence the rest of what I wrote.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2020, 10:08:01 PM
I told Fox they really needed to get Yvonne Navarro back to do another one ages ago.  MotS was utterly devoid of any continuity, but still a great book.
Aside from a very wacky date on the back cover of the book, MOTS referenced several things from other novels and comics of the era if I remember correctly. A couple corporations got mentioned, the infestation of Earth, etc.

Edit-- from the article:
Quote"All three books take place in the 53 year window between Ripley's sign off at the end of Alien, and her awakening and return to LV-426 in Aliens."
Hmmmm

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed