Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,433 times)

Kradan

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 13, 2019, 09:57:20 AM
I genuinely don't get the "can't see shit" memes, I've only ever had trouble seeing things on pirate copies. Cinematic and legit home media copies are dimly lit, sure, but you can pick the various creatures and characters out just fine.

Honestly, to be fair, no matter how I mess with the settings, brightness all the way up, I can't see sh*t on my legit streaming digital copy of AvPR through Google Play on my Samsung Galaxy phone. So there is legitimacy to some of the complaints.

Streaming:

Unrated Blu-ray:

Kimarhi

I genuinely don't get the "can't see shit" memes, I've only ever had trouble seeing things on pirate copies. Cinematic and legit home media copies are dimly lit, sure, but you can pick the various creatures and characters out just fine.

Could have something to do with Region.  I won't purchase a newer release of the dvd just because it's Requiem, but on the American release unless I f**k around with the settings, I can't see shit. 

SiL

My Blu-ray doesn't look anywhere near as bright as Voodoo's, but the higher dynamic range and more fine detail makes seeing things easier on the format than on DVD.

Voodoo Magic

I've personally come to a conclusion in regards to the unrated blu-ray that results are likely device driven. That's why people like myself, Huggsy, cancerblack and Vermillion can see it just fine while others "can't see sh*t". And me playing this on a 4K UHD TV with HDR through a 4K player that likely upscales, seems to produce top-tier results

P-Rock

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 14, 2019, 11:27:34 PM

Honestly, to be fair, no matter how I mess with the settings, brightness all the way up, I can't see sh*t on my legit streaming digital copy of AvPR through Google Play on my Samsung Galaxy phone. So there is legitimacy to some of the complaints.

Streaming:

Unrated Blu-ray:

You keep using the same pics as some sort of proof that the unrated blu-ray isn't as dark as other avp-r blu-ray releases, but I guess you are the only one who got a good copy then, judging the reviews of this disc elsewhere.

My Dutch blu-ray for example, also released by FOX, didn't look like this at all.

Let's see some pics of the beginning, where the predalien kills and escapes the spaceship, or the hobo's/aliens in the tunnels? They should be brighter too then, right?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: P-Rock on Oct 15, 2019, 12:10:56 PM

Streaming:

Unrated Blu-ray:

You keep using the same pics as some sort of proof that the unrated blu-ray isn't as dark as other avp-r blu-ray releases, but I guess you are the only one who got a good copy then, judging the reviews of this disc elsewhere.

My Dutch blu-ray for example, also released by FOX, didn't look like this at all.

Let's see some pics of the beginning, where the predalien kills and escapes the spaceship, or the hobo's/aliens in the tunnels? They should be brighter too then, right?

P-Rock. Not loving the tone. And you got to slow down and read brother. I just literally finished saying I think better visibility results are device driven but you come in saying that I'm suggesting here that the unrated blu is better than the blu (I'm not), that I'm suggesting the results are disc driven and there are good copies and bad (I'm not), and angling that I'm the only one having good results (I'm not. You have other names).

And who takes camera pics of their TV while watching the movie just because? I've said before the reason why I use this pic is because it's the only one's I have, taken to try to solve the riddle on a different thread if the Shuriken was spinning in the correct direction when it impales Jesse.

I'll be happy to take other pics or even video for someone who's curious and friendly, but not for the way you're coming at me brother.

Kimarhi

I don't think taking pictures is necessary but u should fight to the death instead.

P-Rock

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 15, 2019, 12:55:52 PM

Streaming:

Unrated Blu-ray:

P-Rock. Not loving the tone. And you got to slow down and read brother. I just literally finished saying I think better visibility results are device driven but you come in saying that I'm suggesting here that the unrated blu is better than the blu (I'm not), that I'm suggesting the results are disc driven and there are good copies and bad (I'm not), and angling that I'm the only one having good results (I'm not. You have other names).

And who takes camera pics of their TV while watching the movie just because? I've said before the reason why I use this pic is because it's the only one's I have, taken to try to solve the riddle on a different thread if the Shuriken was spinning in the correct direction when it impales Jesse.

I'll be happy to take other pics or even video for someone who's curious and friendly, but not for the way you're coming at me brother.

I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry. I just wondered if the rest of the movie looks like that as well on your set-up. Could be device driven, I dunno. My set-up is simple. The blu-ray I used to own was awful though and I don't think Fox would release multiple versions for such a low budget and badly received movie.

Kimarhi

P-rock now is not time to back down, now is the time to fold that dvd in half and stab somebody in the neck with it!

SM

The final scene with Yutani - you could barely see her face it was so dark.  And that was a daylight scene, that I assume was properly lit.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2019, 04:04:37 AM
The final scene with Yutani - you could barely see her face it was so dark.  And that was a daylight scene, that I assume was properly lit.

I think that was on purpose.

P-Rock

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 16, 2019, 02:47:15 AM
P-rock now is not time to back down, now is the time to fold that dvd in half and stab somebody in the neck with it!

I already used it as a coaster!

SiL

Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2019, 04:04:37 AM
I cannot say I've ever had that particular problem. She's always been pretty visible to me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: P-Rock on Oct 15, 2019, 08:41:51 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 15, 2019, 12:55:52 PM

Streaming:

Unrated Blu-ray:

I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry. I just wondered if the rest of the movie looks like that as well on your set-up. Could be device driven, I dunno. My set-up is simple. The blu-ray I used to own was awful though and I don't think Fox would release multiple versions for such a low budget and badly received movie.

Thanks. Appreciate that.

Yeah, I'm not a big techie so maybe with the right combination of devices I just got lucky. Being able to see what's going on, plus the added scenes really amped up my enjoyment of AvPR. I'll make a note to later this week to take some pics or a couple of videos of the movie and my settings and I'll put them up. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed