John Logan "Revising" Alien: Paradise Lost Script?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 10, 2015, 11:16:00 AM

Author
John Logan "Revising" Alien: Paradise Lost Script? (Read 18,111 times)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Supposedly revealed due to the Sony Hacking, Sony expressed frustration at John Logan's early drafts of Spectre.

redalert51

I am big fan of " John Logan. He has the magic touch, They also call it '' Talent. The very last Trek film "Nemesis"
which my favourite.John Logan wrote the screenplay . It is sad that it flopped..         

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: redalert51 on Nov 15, 2015, 09:59:39 PM
I am big fan of " John Logan. He has the magic touch, They also call it '' Talent. The very last Trek film "Nemesis"
which my favourite.John Logan wrote the screenplay . It is sad that it flopped..       

Loved Nemesis. It was quite good IMHO. What else has he written ??

Wow from what I have read about him he is very good. Sounds good.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Short interview with Logan from Total Film. Image via Bill Robbie of WYB.

Enoch

Enoch

As I said some time ago, Logan is a devoted reader of Paradise Lost if that's worth something...  :D
Joking aside, his task on Covenant was to patch all drops in narrative and all illogical character developments. He maybe introduced something new that previous script didn't have... but his major task was to fix overall script written by Jack Paglen and Michael Green. That fact alone clearly suggests that Ridley was and still is aware of Prometheus (minor) mistakes. :)

I belive that Prometheus in fact is not so flawed, there is simply too much mystery and ambiguity in that movie.
Prometheus is grand QUESTION film without any major answer. Just a teaser filled with philosophical/religious implications and with countless symbols, puzzels and dazzling clues. That kind of storytelling is fine in certan amount but only on television shows (Lindelof, Lindelof? Ridley, Ridley?), in movies such thing are very bold move. You risk too much.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Enoch on May 16, 2016, 09:18:40 PMI belive that Prometheus in fact is not so flawed, there is simply too much mystery and ambiguity in that movie.

It's not ambiguous. It has no idea what it's doing.

Enoch

Enoch

Well it has some ideas... :)
Engineers are not elephant skeletons but humanoids genetically same as human race but apparently technologically more advanced. There is that f**king ampule room (with head) which drove me to insanity during my search for all the clues on relief and murals... (there are many hidden clues that could very well have great impact on Covenant story!!!). We know that Engineers created humans (maybe following someones orders) and we have countless philosophical/mythological traces thrown in that movie. Who is god? Thats a dangerous question. And maybe trying to find answers to dangerous questions (of creation/life/death/...) led to creation of abominations we cant imagine. Also the question of creation (Holloway said that there is nothing special in creation, anyone can create life!!!). And countles repetition of Paradise Lost/Prometheus/Lucifer/Adam and Eve/God motifs succeeded to impose trillions of great questions. I hope that they ll answer 2-3 major ones, and if they do, well, we ll have good movie.

What if Xenos are not mere bioweapons but assets in the story much grander than we can expect. We know that black goo and Xenos could serv as bioweapons, but for what, against who??? I myself would like movie that wants to lif the story to much greater level of storytelling... Such movies tend to be more scarry much creepier than those featuring a monster in a tin can killing numerous people.

Black goo (liquid of creation and destruction) is still a mystery to me.
I think that black goo isn't Engineers technology at all. They stole that like Prometheus stole the fire.

HuDaFuK

Oh sure, it asked loads of big, existential questions. But then it completely failed to do anything of any value with any of them.

It was only masquerading as a deep and meaningful movie.

NickisSmart

Unlike Aliens, which doesn't even try. :P

Corporal Hicks

Aliens was exactly what it wanted to be and it did a great job at doing it.

HuDaFuK

Whereas by the same measure I'd argue Prometheus seriously failed at what it thought it was.

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't argue with that assessment at all.

windebieste

'Prometheus' big problem is it's uncertain what audience it's targeted at. 

It's too stupid to confidently be aimed at any intellectual audience; and yet it's too metaphysical and philosophical to accommodate the casual Saturday night bubblegum rabble.  It's a movie with mixed ambitions in terms of fulfilling its audience expectations and as a results succeeds in neither. 

I'm hoping that 'A:C' finds its footing among the audience with a greater focus on who it wants to please without trying too hard and generally faltering as its predecessor did. 

-Windebieste

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 17, 2016, 10:07:09 AM
Whereas by the same measure I'd argue Prometheus seriously failed at what it thought it was.

I think the biggest failure in Prometheus is simple: The Engineers aren't interesting. They certainly don't match being as interesting as the alien is. They are pretty interesting in the opening scene. But then for them to decide to make the Engineers hold down the entire film,... And when we finally wake one up and it doesn't do anything of interest except threaten to wipe out humans. It wasn't shocking, and DETRIMENTALLY, it didn't justify explaining what the Space Jockey was. IE: The Space Jockey actually seemed MORE ominous and intriguing in Alien. And that in a nutshell is the failure of PROMETHEUS.

There are some other ideas in there, like the medpod scene and David's relationship with people, and etc that were rivaling some of the stuff in Alien, but nothing involving the Engineers, apart from the opening scene is interesting enough. Not the holograms, the exploding head, the design, and especially not it's desire to kill people. To me - that is what breaks PROMETHEUS. For all of the unanswered questions - I could care less. I just wanted to leave the theatre intrigued by the actions of, and the design of the Engineers. The film started out doing that, and then completely dropped the ball in following that through.

To me, I don't even need the Alien in Covenant as much as I think they NEED to make the Engineers do something more interesting than threaten Earth. It's boring and has been done to death.

I seriously hope they didn't go into thinking the only thing they needed to do to fix it is thrown the Alien in there. The Engineers need to do something interesting. VERY interesting that we do not expect and makes them scary. Experimenting on humans is probably a good place to start.

I'm wondering if we will see them again at all. Maybe we shouldn't if they don't come up with something good.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 17, 2016, 10:00:41 AM
Aliens was exactly what it wanted to be and it did a great job at doing it.

I agree, an excellent film, just not a deep one. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed