John Logan "Revising" Alien: Paradise Lost Script?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 10, 2015, 11:16:00 AM

Author
John Logan "Revising" Alien: Paradise Lost Script? (Read 17,793 times)

oduodu

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 10, 2015, 11:01:20 PM
I'm all for this. It's certainly just a polish, for one... And honestly, I think the biggest mistake they made with PROMETHEUS is that the best version of those two scripts was a combination of both. So a 3rd writer to polish the thing, and a good one, like John Logan, is hopefully, just what this needs.
I also don't think Ridley was totally at a loss for what to do with this sequel. Both writers of Prometheus mentioned having very frank discussions about where the series was headed,.. I just think that after that film was released Ridley saw the errors he made, and decided to correct them, so he knew he had to add stuff to the mix, and that's what all this has been about.
The script is the most important thing.

That's true but I just wonder how well the back story for Prometheus was thought out and to what DEPTH the sequels were discussed. In other words the overall story.

Like with the martian. The story was there before the script was written.

Corporal Hicks

Lindelof and Scott always made it sound like they had a plan for Promtheus sequels but considering how well thought out I found Prometheus to be that doesn't really please me.

Stolen

I discussed a few weeks ago with Sir Ridley Scott for the promotion of his latest film in France. I think the article Variety is late, the final script was finished early September and Scott was very enthusiastic about it. He said Green was an excellent writer. He did not talk about Logan but it will surely be a small contribution, it's probably a way to reassure people, 'oh it's a logan's script the guy who wrote Gladiator, Skyfall ... it will be epic "

Scott said something exciting, there will be carnage in Paradise planet, many characters will die in the first part of the film. Elizabeth Shaw is still the main character, Scott wants to talk about the conflict science / religion, for him the two are not incompatible, he knows many scientists who believe in God and it will be even approaching A: PL. He also says that a scene will be even more intense than the cesarean section.

The guy is really passionate, I am eager for his film, I loved Prometheus too.

Corporal Hicks

Are you a journalist?

Stolen

Journalist is a very big word  ;D
I work occasionally for the cinema section of my local newspaper.

oduodu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 11, 2015, 09:21:38 AM
Lindelof and Scott always made it sound like they had a plan for Promtheus sequels but considering how well thought out I found Prometheus to be that doesn't really please me.

Correct. I am not sure that the DEPTH of thinking behind it was to the level it should have been.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: oduodu on Nov 11, 2015, 10:25:11 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 11, 2015, 09:21:38 AM

Correct. I am not sure that the DEPTH of thinking behind it was to the level it should have been.

Then again, with Lindelof's departure it sounded like Fox didn't know what to do with the story. I'm hopeful that's sorted now.

Quote from: Stolen on Nov 11, 2015, 10:23:00 AM
Journalist is a very big word  ;D
I work occasionally for the cinema section of my local newspaper.

Ah! Fair enough! Where did you get speak to him?

Stolen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 11, 2015, 10:33:43 AMAh! Fair enough! Where did you get speak to him?

Hotel in Paris, it was October 16!
We mostly talked about The Martian. Do you know that the rover of the movie was offered to the king of Jordan, I am jealous!

I hope that new vehicles will be built for the prometheus sequel!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stolen on Nov 11, 2015, 10:43:56 AM
Hotel in Paris, it was October 16

We mostly talked about The Martian. Do you know that the rover of the movie was offered to the king of Jordan, I am jealous!

I hope that new vehicles will be built for the prometheus sequel!

That's pretty cool! Did you publish what he talked about with Paradise Lost?

I think some of the old Prometheus vehicles are in a museum somewhere?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 10, 2015, 11:01:20 PM
I also don't think Ridley was totally at a loss for what to do with this sequel. Both writers of Prometheus mentioned having very frank discussions about where the series was headed,.. I just think that after that film was released Ridley saw the errors he made, and decided to correct them, so he knew he had to add stuff to the mix, and that's what all this has been about.

Scott also called Lindelof back for a chat with regards to a sequel after Prometheus was released.

Of course Lindelof suddenly had all kinds of other engagements and excuses but thankfully it turned out that Scott wasn't going to ask him to write a sequel anyway.

Quote from: Collider interview with LindelofCollider: I know from people at Fox that they were really happy with the worldwide box office  of Prometheus and that they are moving forward on a sequel.  Are you involved at all?
Damon Lindelof:  I am not.  Ridley [Scott] and I talked at great length during the story process of the first movie about what subsequent movies would be if Prometheus were to be successful.  And I think that the movie ended in a very specific way that hinted at, or strongly implied that there were going to be continuing adventures worthy of writing stories.  What those stories would be would not necessarily usurp or transcend the Alien franchise as we saw it because we know that the Nostromo hasn't come along yet.  So the idea was to set up a universe that... Is it a prequel?  Okay.  If that's what we want to call it, sure.  But the sequel to this movie is not Alien.  The sequel to this movie is this other thing.
So Ridley and I talked about what that other thing might be, and he was excited about doing it.  But then I think what ended up happening was that the movie came out, and there was a reaction to the movie.  And I got really wrapped up in Trek, and really wrapped up in this movie that I'm producing and writing with Brad Bird.  And I have a TV project that I was really passionate about. Ridley and I had a meeting after Prometheus came out where we started talking again about where this journey would go.  And in that meeting I said to him, unfortunately, before he could ask me and go through the discomfort of whether he was going to ask me or not... It's sort of like having a date where you're letting the other person know, "I'm in another relationship."  So I can't tell you that he asked me and I said no.  But I did communicate to him that I was working on these other things.

The thing about Prometheus was it was a rewrite.  Jon Spaihts wrote a script and I rewrote it.  And still it was a year of my life that I spent on Prometheus, kind of all in.  The idea of building a sequel to it—from the ground up this time—with Ridley is tremendously exciting.  But at the same time, I was like, "Well that's probably going to be two years of my life."  I can't do what J.J. [Abrams] does.   I don't have the capability.  I'm usually very single-minded creatively.  I can only be working on one thing at a time.  So I said to him, "I really don't think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff.  And I don't know when the other stuff is going to be done." And he was like, "Well, okay, it's not like I asked you anyways."  He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him.  But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don't see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 10, 2015, 01:25:16 PMIt worries me that they are still working on the script 3 or so moths before filming is meant to start.

This. Such last-minute revisions are rarely a sign of good things. Not when it's supposedly been through so many drafts already. Really not expecting much from this movie.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 10, 2015, 12:29:13 PMThe parallels to Alien 3 are worrying. From the sounds of it, I don't think Ridley really knew what direction he wanted to take the sequel in but I think he figured it all out. Remember they were taking pitches from just about anyone.

This is what annoys me more than anything about the first film. It came across as though it thought it was some high and mighty philosophical piece that was asking all these big meaningful questions about existence and what have you, but if the development of the sequel is anything to go by, even the people making it had no f*cking clue what the answers were.

T Dog

Quote from: Stolen on Nov 11, 2015, 09:34:13 AM
He did not talk about Logan but it will surely be a small contribution, it's probably a way to reassure people, 'oh it's a logan's script the guy who wrote Gladiator, Skyfall ... it will be epic "

Isn't that the exact same reason they hired Lindelof.......because Spaights was untested!

Xenomorphine

In fairness, multiple rewrites are common in Hollywood. It's an old joke that the prevailing mentality is, "Great script! Who can we get to rewrite it?"

And that's scarily closer to the truth than most realise.

NickisSmart

The Wizard of Oz was rewritten like 12 times and had 4 different directors. I think people just forget how movies are made and then act surprised.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 11, 2015, 04:08:13 PM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 10, 2015, 12:29:13 PMThe parallels to Alien 3 are worrying. From the sounds of it, I don't think Ridley really knew what direction he wanted to take the sequel in but I think he figured it all out. Remember they were taking pitches from just about anyone.

This is what annoys me more than anything about the first film. It came across as though it thought it was some high and mighty philosophical piece that was asking all these big meaningful questions about existence and what have you, but if the development of the sequel is anything to go by, even the people making it had no f*cking clue what the answers were.

Unless they did and Scott actually realized what a hack Lindelof was and threw it out. I can hope.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed