Space News & Views

Started by Nostromo, Aug 27, 2016, 03:31:59 PM

Author
Space News & Views (Read 67,779 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'll be happy with getting a man on Mars in my lifetime. I'd be ecstatic if I managed to get into space, or even just the edge of the atmosphere.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 05, 2016, 07:46:06 AM
I'll be happy with we get a man on Mars in my lifetime. I'd be ecstatic if I managed to get into space, or even just the edge of the atmosphere.
Oh my goodness, you think like I feel. Man, I've always wondered just what that moon landing was like to watch as it happened. So naturally I'm waiting for the Mars landing myself. Space stations... not to much confidence in that one in my lifetime.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 05, 2016, 08:08:59 AM
Oh my goodness, you think like I feel. Man, I've always wondered just what that moon landing was like to watch as it happened. So naturally I'm waiting for the Mars landing myself.

I have the same thoughts. If I could somehow magically live another life, I'd want to live one that was around for the moon landing and that early exploration. I've been lucky enough to witness New Horizons and Pluto, I want to see man put foot on another body.

QuoteSpace stations... not to much confidence in that one in my lifetime.

You don't need to wait for that one!

x-M-x

x-M-x

Hicks, i think he was talking about the 'ULTIMATE SPACE STATIONS' not a giant satellite around orbit fella.  ;)

NASA did say by 2030 we'll get to mars... i seriously doubt it though...

I'll be more curious to visit the bootes Void

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo%C3%B6tes_void

Makes you wonder what the HELL is in that dark space....

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: x-M-x on Oct 05, 2016, 08:24:02 AM
Hicks, i think he was talking about the 'ULTIMATE SPACE STATIONS' not a giant satellite around orbit fella.  ;)
Well I didn't want to sound that cold... but yea, what he said. :)

Probably just a lot of Dark Space. That or engineers and predators duked it out and wiped out a few hundred thousand star systems.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 05, 2016, 08:39:51 AM
Well I didn't want to sound that cold... but yea, what he said. :)

I was being funny.  :P

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 05, 2016, 07:24:18 AM
I need to remember to get the telescope out and setup! Thanks for the info.
Hehe...Uranus is not an easy find. It took me some major star hopping to find it without tracking and you need at least a 6 inch telescope I'd say. (Not sure what you have). Even as important are dark skies but less so for planets.  What you see for Uranus and Neptune are 2 blueish green (more blue for Neptune) very circular discs the size of a pinhead..a little bigger for Uranus and both are very distinct looking compared to stars. Without tracking or a go-to system you need good navigational skills. A good program like Stellarium (now comes as an app too) is needed.

But when you do find them, you're like holy shyte there it is! I took a picture of Uranus but it's blurry because I had no tracking than. Now that I do have tracking I don't have my Canon camera. Canon is hands down the best everyday cam for Astrophotography by the way.

I've seen all the planets with my scope, including Pluto, and Mercury only with binoculars since it's always setting with the Sun. I still haven't seen Earth though :).

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 05, 2016, 08:17:43 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 05, 2016, 08:08:59 AM
Oh my goodness, you think like I feel. Man, I've always wondered just what that moon landing was like to watch as it happened. So naturally I'm waiting for the Mars landing myself.

I have the same thoughts. If I could somehow magically live another life, I'd want to live one that was around for the moon landing and that early exploration. I've been lucky enough to witness New Horizons and Pluto, I want to see man put foot on another body.

QuoteSpace stations... not to much confidence in that one in my lifetime.

You don't need to wait for that one!

Wish I could pay somewhere to go in cryostasis for say 500-1000 years. I'd do it. Some people are already doing it I think or it's slowly getting started.. You best have ready plans though lol. Imagine waking up with no money or anything...You may never even wake up if there's a planetary catastrophe or imagine waking up and there's been an Alien invasion.

NASA did say by 2030 we'll get to mars... i seriously doubt it though...

I'll be more curious to visit the bootes Void

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Barnard_68.jpg/600px-Barnard_68.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo%C3%B6tes_void

It says they found 60 galaxies in there. :)

Still that is one weird object or void. Wonder what the heck happened there.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 05, 2016, 11:53:44 AM
Hehe...Uranus is not an easy find. It took me some major star hopping to find it without tracking and you need at least a 6 inch telescope I'd say. (Not sure what you have).

Aaahhh. Mine is going to be too small. It's only 5.1"

I only brought an entry level thing. Sky-Watcher Explorer-130 EQ2.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 05, 2016, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 05, 2016, 11:53:44 AM
Hehe...Uranus is not an easy find. It took me some major star hopping to find it without tracking and you need at least a 6 inch telescope I'd say. (Not sure what you have).

Aaahhh. Mine is going to be too small. It's only 5.1"

I only brought an entry level thing. Sky-Watcher Explorer-130 EQ2.

Hey Hicks that's a pretty nice Newtonian telescope and from a very reputable company! Sky Watcher/Orion is what I had too. Newtonian/Reflectors on an EQ mount are serious kick ass no matter the size. That's like a perfect go to scope. I'm pretty sure you can see Uranus/Neptune under dark skies. Try and be in a red/yellow zone. Nice to know someone has a decent scope!

Nostromo

Nostromo

Corporal Hicks

Nostromo

Nostromo

Found this news pretty awesome. I also hope they find that Neptune sized one they think exists.

A Potential New Dwarf Planet Has Been Found In The Solar System

The planet is twice as distant as Pluto and takes more than 1,000 years to orbit the sun.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/potential-new-dwarf-planet-found-in-the-solar-system/

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 13, 2016, 06:41:49 PM
Found this news pretty awesome. I also hope they find that Neptune sized one they think exists.

I'm really curious to see if that pans out. They've been looking for Planet X for so long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37650274

So that's an interesting concept.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 14, 2016, 09:52:48 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 13, 2016, 06:41:49 PM

I'm really curious to see if that pans out. They've been looking for Planet X for so long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37650274

So that's an interesting concept.

It's great, but tooooooo expensive and i doubt we'll see it in the next 20/30 years or so.

Nostromo

Nostromo

That's one nice looking spaceship. No matter how expensive or how long these projects in space will take, one thing is for certain, they will happen. Makes me want to go back to school and study hard in something that would give me a good chance of getting aboard on a project like this...

Can only imagine 50-200 years from now what will be happening up there. Someone please put me in the old freezarino lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed