ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 148,052 times)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 16, 2014, 02:26:06 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 16, 2014, 02:00:06 AM
Which book is featuring Hicks?

Someone mentioned a book which was going to be featuring Hicks. I think it's Sea of Sorrows.. I think.

Aaaaaand it turns out that Tim Lebbon might not be writing that, so disregard that question.

The one that might feature Hicks is the third novel, River of Pain by Christopher Golden.

My questions for Tim Lebbon are:

1. Are Out of the Shadows and the next two novels going to tie in with Alien: Isolation?
2. Other than the theme of "Ripley's family" can you comment on any other elements from Out of the Shadows that will be picked up on in the subsequent books, IE the dog-aliens, etc.?

Xenomrph

My question for Tim Lebbon:

Who's idea was the inclusion of Ripley? Was it a FOX mandate? If not, how did they feel about the idea?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Why the dog aliens specifically?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 16, 2014, 07:51:08 PM

This is probably how it went down:

20th Century Fox said, "People are coming around to digging Prometheus!  We need some more God aliens!"

The memo that was sent to Tim Lebbon said "20th Century Fox is asking for dog aliens.  Apparently they're hot now."

Moral: Spell-check won't always save you.

;-)

Ultramorph

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 18, 2014, 05:47:02 PM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 16, 2014, 07:51:08 PM

This is probably how it went down:

20th Century Fox said, "People are coming around to digging Prometheus!  We need some more God aliens!"

The memo that was sent to Tim Lebbon said "20th Century Fox is asking for dog aliens.  Apparently they're hot now."

Moral: Spell-check won't always save you.

;-)

The greatest auto-correct blunder of our time.  :laugh:

I'm interested to see what he has to say, especially if he can give us any info on the next two books.

Corporal Hicks

He wont reveal anything on the next 2.

Ripley and Ash and time-setting was mandated by Fox. Asked that question before I went on to write more questions that all came back to that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2014, 11:11:43 AMRipley and Ash and time-setting was mandated by Fox. Asked that question before I went on to write more questions that all came back to that.
I thought that might be the case. A shame, because I liked how the book was written, I just hated those aspects of the plot.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

All Ripley nonsense aside, it was fun to go on another adventure with Ripley.  If Tim Lebbon had the stipulation to use Ripey, he did a great job.  More over, we got to enjoy Ash again.  That was his first reappearance in 35 years.  It was plain old fun!  As for canon?  gee, I don't know.

I've always held the contention that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection should be de-canonized by Fox and they should allow Cameron to pick up the story with Hicks, Newt, and Ripley.  This wouldn't be the first time a film continuity has been reset.  They did it in the Halloween films (I mean even before Rob Zombie did it), where they literally took one of the old films and ignored it in order to have continuity with one of the older films.  It worked great.  I am not disparaging Alien 3 or AR.  They are great stand-alone films to be enjoyed on their own merits.  Nobody will come and take away your copies of the films.  But the core of the series that keeps bringing fans back in droves is Aliens.  Its James Cameron.  This way Ridley Scott can pursue his Prometheus tangent, and James Cameron can pursue the Aliens tangent.  Who knows, maybe the stories could at some point re-converge?  To me, this would be the only best way to bring back Ripley.  I think I may actually start a Facebook petition for Fox to consider this.  My three cents...

I know its a bit OT, but to add to my previous post, the plot of an Aliens sequel could be loosely inspired by Verheiden's 1988 graphic novels.  Obviously the homeworld / Space Jockey motifs would need to revamped, but that story was otherwise the best of all the graphic novels published...  From what I gather, it was Sigourney Weaver who really wanted the story to go along the lines of Alien 3 and to make her the focus of the series.  That's why Hicks and and Newt got killed.  It was Michael Biehn's openly stated greatest disappointment.  I think Sigourney has a different tune these days.  Is there anyone who thinks she wouldn't jump at the opportunity to be in a Cameron helmed Aliens sequel?  I think this is the only way the fans will handle the return of Ripley without ridiculing the effort...

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 19, 2014, 03:39:18 PM
I think Sigourney has a different tune these days.  Is there anyone who thinks she wouldn't jump at the opportunity to be in a Cameron helmed Aliens sequel?  I think this is the only way the fans will handle the return of Ripley without ridiculing the effort...

imho I think it would be plot 1st & then director. I thought Tim Lebbon did a great job writing the story with the plot & limits Fox set. I just hope the next 2 will be as well written. 8)

Kimarhi

If he was forced to do it then I think he did a pretty good job. 

Darwinsgirl

Now that the book is out maybe he will be able to shed more light on the process in Corp Hick's next interview.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2014, 11:11:43 AM
Ripley and Ash and time-setting was mandated by Fox. Asked that question before I went on to write more questions that all came back to that.
Interesting, thanks for the info. :)

Corporal Hicks

I finished my review. I've sent the questions off to Tim. I'll pop them both online together.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Got the interview back. It'll be up either tonight or tomorrow.

chromhart

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 19, 2014, 03:39:18 PM
All Ripley nonsense aside, it was fun to go on another adventure with Ripley.  If Tim Lebbon had the stipulation to use Ripey, he did a great job.  More over, we got to enjoy Ash again.  That was his first reappearance in 35 years.  It was plain old fun!  As for canon?  gee, I don't know.

I've always held the contention that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection should be de-canonized by Fox and they should allow Cameron to pick up the story with Hicks, Newt, and Ripley.  This wouldn't be the first time a film continuity has been reset.  They did it in the Halloween films (I mean even before Rob Zombie did it), where they literally took one of the old films and ignored it in order to have continuity with one of the older films.  It worked great.  I am not disparaging Alien 3 or AR.  They are great stand-alone films to be enjoyed on their own merits.  Nobody will come and take away your copies of the films.  But the core of the series that keeps bringing fans back in droves is Aliens.  Its James Cameron.  This way Ridley Scott can pursue his Prometheus tangent, and James Cameron can pursue the Aliens tangent.  Who knows, maybe the stories could at some point re-converge?  To me, this would be the only best way to bring back Ripley.  I think I may actually start a Facebook petition for Fox to consider this.  My three cents...

I know its a bit OT, but to add to my previous post, the plot of an Aliens sequel could be loosely inspired by Verheiden's 1988 graphic novels.  Obviously the homeworld / Space Jockey motifs would need to revamped, but that story was otherwise the best of all the graphic novels published...  From what I gather, it was Sigourney Weaver who really wanted the story to go along the lines of Alien 3 and to make her the focus of the series.  That's why Hicks and and Newt got killed.  It was Michael Biehn's openly stated greatest disappointment.  I think Sigourney has a different tune these days.  Is there anyone who thinks she wouldn't jump at the opportunity to be in a Cameron helmed Aliens sequel?  I think this is the only way the fans will handle the return of Ripley without ridiculing the effort...

Actually I feel the opposite. I loved Alien 3, didn't care too much for Alien Resurrection. Aliens was a good movie, but I would have loved it to be more like alien, horror, suspense... The mystery....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed