Prometheus International Poster

Started by Darkness, May 10, 2012, 06:07:37 PM

Author
Prometheus International Poster (Read 18,800 times)

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 12, 2012, 08:24:42 AM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 12, 2012, 01:15:43 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 11, 2012, 11:15:15 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 11, 2012, 02:24:35 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on May 11, 2012, 02:15:44 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 11, 2012, 01:01:46 PM
No over-reaction... the head is not 100 ft. tall... so why would it be in the poster?
I never remember the egg floating in space with green mist in the first movie... it'called artistic licence.

It's called stupid...  It gives people the idea the head has scale that it doesn't...

Same could be levelled at the original Jaws poster... or the original Star Wars ones (that bear little resemblance to what actually goes on in the movie). Accentuating the shape/size of the thing to look more imposing than it actually is, may be the idea. You don't have to like it, but it doesn't make it bad.

I would argue that the original Jaws poster was much closer in scale, and its a painting so it gets a pass from me there...  The Star Wars poster was a painting and was the characters large over a background.  The Prometheus Poster is not a painting, and the designer just increased the scale of the head in the same scene making it much larger than it actually is...
Not really - if you look at the radius of the mouth of the shark in the poster, it makes it about circa 50 ft. Compare it to the production still of Spielberg lying in the mouth of the Shark. As for The Star Wars posters - yes indeed things were over scaled. Vader's head is usually a giant head in the background and Han & Leia in the 'Empire' poster dwarf everything else, in a pose that was never in the movie.

Those posters being 'painted' is largely irrelevant as one either excepts the creator can use artistic licence or not. The poster for Prometheus isn't an onset production still, it's a stylised rendition of a scene/moment (we expect), and as such the artist in question is scaling up the size of the head for dramatic effect. I don't think anyone will come out of the movie thinking "well I feel cheated by the size of the head". ;-)

It't ok to agree to disagree... I know the head has been the watershed scene from whats been shown... but I simply think this poster is lazy and misrepresenting.  Your Jaws example makes sense, Jaws 2 would probably be better... I think it seems lazy.

ThisBethesdaSea

Lazy???? Baby Jesus why?

It's called atmosphere. They've used the archetypal imagery from the film to create a mood and give off a vibe to viewers. I think it works and looks fantastic.

Glaive

Glaive

OK...this thread has officially gone moronic.

SM

SM

After 2 pages of unoffical moronity - it's good that it's at last been made official.

Some Mothers Do Have Em!

josh_axey

josh_axey

Quote from: SM on May 13, 2012, 11:43:39 PM
After 2 pages of unoffical moronity - it's good that it's at last been made official.

SM, always the voice of reason haha :).

Alienseseses

I prefer many fan posters over this. It's just a discolored production still. (As are most fan posters too- but some are quite good.)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed