New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 153,845 times)

Moosh89

Moosh89

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/01/17/alien-game-in-development-at-cold-iron-studios

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/foxnext-games-cold-iron-studios-acquisition-alien-1202664999/

QuoteGames titles members of the Cold Iron team have worked on in the past include "Neverwinter," "Star Trek Online," "Metroid Prime 3," "BioShock Infinite," "City of Heroes," "Bioshock Infinite," "Doom" and "Borderlands."

"I am a personal fan of Cold Iron's previous work, and all of us at FoxNext Games are thrilled to be working with them as they create an action-packed persistent world, steeped in the mysteries of this beloved 'Alien' universe," Aaron Loeb, FoxNext Games president of studios, said in announcing the deal.

Samus007

Jigsaw85

Oh good, another game with pulse rifles and motion trackers. Mow down wave after wave of aliens until you eventually fight the queen. Just like 90% of all alien games. Still waiting for Alien Isolation 2.

JokersWarPig

I'm glad to hear this. If they can mix some of the better mechanics from ACM (the AI of the Lurker and the motion tracker mainly) and the atmosphere of the USCM campaign from AVP2010 I think we'd have ourselves a damn good Aliens game.
All you'd have to do to make a game featuring the USCM as intense as it should be is up the Xeno AI. 5 smart xeno's is a lot better than 10 dumb xeno's.

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 17, 2018, 05:53:37 PM
Oh good, another game with pulse rifles and motion trackers. Mow down wave after wave of aliens until you eventually fight the queen. Just like 90% of all alien games. Still waiting for Alien Isolation 2.

::)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I can't help but be a little disappointed it isn't Isolation 2 but I'm really happy to see another game on the horizon! I miss the days of regularly jumping on an Alien game when I got home. Hopefully this'll make up for Colonial Marines and have more of a lasting population.

It's interesting that it's away from Sega. I wonder if Fox is planning to handle in-house for the remainder of it's non-Disney life. Didn't they used to publish under Fox Interactive before that went under and Sega took on the license?

Looking forward to hearing more details about this and just exactly what kind of game it will be.

PVTDukeMorrison

Just be a colonial marine game that's actually good please

Corporal Hicks

I'm still waiting on a squad-based Aliens game that is great.

Darkness

Yeah, Fox Interactive were bought by Vivendi after Concrete Jungle was released and they immediately closed the studio down. I think they were ones who were publishing AvP 2010 before Sega got it.

I'm hoping this game just isn't online multiplayer only. Never been a fan of these MMOs.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Agreed, Darkness. I'm excited but cautious about this. "Persistent world" is usually code for online-only micro-transaction fest these days. Maybe something like a modern Aliens Online?

It'll be interesting to see how long Fox Next will be publishing and if that will last after the acquisition by Disney. We could be seeing this game sooner rather than later. I also wonder if Fox Next will want to handle all development in house, or if they would work with independent developers such as Rebellion.

Kailem

Kailem

I'm cautiously optimistic. On the one hand it's great that there's a real, actual new Aliens game in development, and not just some crap for mobile phones. On the other hand this developer and publisher don't ring any bells and it's clearly super early in development, so it's probably going to be a long time before we actually see any concrete.

But hey, a new Aliens game is in development! That's definitely not something I expected to see when I woke up today (or really at any point within the next several years)! :laugh:

Richman678

I don't have a good feeling about this. Sounds more like they are making a VR cash grab

Darkness

The article seems to imply the game was already in development when Fox acquired Cold Iron Studios. Not sure. Or it could be a new venture. Maybe that's why Fox specifically acquired the studio if they were already doing it.

Corporal Hicks

I think Cold Iron will still be operating as Cold Iron from the sounds of it.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jan 17, 2018, 06:55:02 PM
I'm excited but cautious about this. "persistent world" is usually code for online-only micro-transaction fest these days. Maybe something like a modern Aliens Online?

I actually don't mind the idea of this being Aliens Online 2.0.

Kailem

Even with what little we have to go on here it certainly sounds like it could end up being some sort of MMO-ish thing. I'd say "Destiny-type thing" given the confirmation of it being an FPS as well, but those kinds of games are really limited to the biggest publishers these days, and at this point they've already got their own "Destinies" (The Division for Ubisoft and Anthem for EA).

Adam802

YES THANK GOD!!!  Finally some good news lol.  Looking forward to getting more info eventually!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed